Long Shaft Balancing - 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

primacom

Club Guest
is there such thing as long shaft balancing and where is the place to do it and how much... if any in subang ...dun mind trying out anyone kindly share their xperience if any after doing the balancing. according to my mech, long shaft balancing not really effective, best is to change...but very xpensive lah my car can feel like something rotating ...undercarriage....so ask my mech...he says long shaft sound...

bro. just change it. i dah kena. u can get very cheap one at kg melayu Subang. Chop shop at traffic light that u can see manyak conti car over there. Find Ah yong very frenly maa..the price around RM200 if i not mistaken.

By the way what is the symptoms of long shaft problem. Mine felt some vibrations at higher speed ....something rotating(vibrations feeling)......underneath . All bearings checked & confirmed no problems......

My car is having the same problem, with vibrations during accelaration. Changed most of the bushes and couplings but still there. Next move to change the long shaft. Anybody knows how much a new one would cost? and if I'm to install a used one, would it be reliable? input much appreciated.

Cheers

I paid close to RM900 to rebuild the long shaft. After rebuilding, there are still some slight vibration.

Just a comparison between rebuilding cost vs buying a 2nd hand unit.

I know some members rebuild the shaft for approx < RM400.

rubes72 said:
so a better bet is to buy a second hand one from a chop shop.

maybe - but then again - I can't find a 2nd hand unit for my car, so I dun hv a choice xcept rebuild.

long shafts are a real pain when its haywire..even after you spend the money on it, it stills vibrate..sigh..

hi there , looks like i m heading for trouble......anyway , i will be sending my car to service the long shaft and should be completed by this week .....then i will update u guys ...how much it cost, where is it done & what is the after effect.....

Pray.......all turns out well....

primacom said:
hi there , looks like i m heading for trouble......anyway , i will be sending my car to service the long shaft and should be completed by this week .....then i will update u guys ...how much it cost, where is it done & what is the after effect.....

Pray.......all turns out well....

If u don't mind sharing, does this "servicing" also includes rebalancing the longshaft?:)

rubes72 said:
that's shity... sigh

No offence. But how is this remark constructive?? Just adds to all the junk we have to sieve through when reading and looking for solutions.

Shouldn't the forum have some policy to post only constructive suggestions when dealing with technical issues rather than use up bandwith with such comments.

I too am guilty of it here by responding to the comment above, but just had to since I find so, so many unnecessary comments in tech forums.

rubes72, don't you think the person with the vibration problem already knows how shitty it is to have a problem with his UDM?

No offence godflesh, but if a forum is restrict to purely technical chat, it would be very boring. As it is this forum is not exactly very lively. Some side comments like rubes72 is welcome - to build a community spirit - for that is what this is, a community of friends with common interests, not just a technical problem and solution bulletin board. For that you can chat with BMW technical dept.

2 cents, yes according to the ppl there servicng comprises of changing bearings & also balancing the long shaft.....

guys.....lets' give & take a bit for everyone......either way this is the forum where we all have a common interest to find the best, economical ways to maintain our beemer.....so let's be result oriented....lah getting out beemer tip top with minimum pocket burn

Godflesh,
Take a chill pill
Your little rank used up more bandwith than rubes
Not to mention all the responses (mine included) to yours!
It's all part of the fun la!
Relaxs dude..

took the car on friday evening after servicing the long shaft.....according to them just need to do balancing only, bearing no need to change.

After effect, rides minus vibrations....& yes much better...but my car stil got rumbling sound a bit...suspect now tyre lah...but as far as the balancing is concern....satisfied for the price paid and the result.....pocket cost....< RM 200/= but whole day job....

Top Bottom