Limited Slip Differential

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tIANcI

Club Guest
May I know what are the benefits of a LSD on say an E90 325? Does it help a lot with the performance/handling? What would the difference be between one that has and does not have a LSD? Thanks!

Chrix ... I read about it. Understand how it works but am just keen to know how a car with a LSD handles. Your ride using one? Going up Genting I feel my car is bogged down a bit at the tight turns. Was wondering if with an LSD it would assist more since more power will be going onto the road.

addition of lsd made no difference whatsoever in the case of my e34 daily drive. most likely my driving though.

Erica ... Yeah, the shop that can do a Quaife for me says no difference for daily driving and it's mainly felt on the track. I feel bogged down in tight turns when say going up Genting, was hoping with a LSD that it would transfer more power to the road. Does it work in that manner?

U need this.. :38:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553322

attachment.php

attachment.php

Astro ... Terrible la you! It did cross my mind but car is still under warranty. Anyways, LSD will optimise what power the car has. :p

On wet road, if you not familiar with the power delivery with LSD, can be very dangerous.. but not difficult to get use to la. :4:

On wet road then I need to take out my Porsche Boxster 981 la ... Hehehehe ... In my dreams.

tIANcI;744926 said:
Chrix ... I read about it. Understand how it works but am just keen to know how a car with a LSD handles. Your ride using one? Going up Genting I feel my car is bogged down a bit at the tight turns. Was wondering if with an LSD it would assist more since more power will be going onto the road.

Chances are at the tighter corners, dsc is activated. Go in a little too fast coupled with excessive steering angle will trigger it. LSD also can't help but sign up for some driver training, that would help!

tIANcI;745080 said:
Erica ... Yeah, the shop that can do a Quaife for me says no difference for daily driving and it's mainly felt on the track. I feel bogged down in tight turns when say going up Genting, was hoping with a LSD that it would transfer more power to the road. Does it work in that manner?
in my case, i did the lsd thingy cos i figured since already opening diff to swap gear ratio might as well. mine was a used lsd unit from e36 m3 so it's cheap compared to a new quaife. don't really know how it works. hahaha. certainly there's perceptible difference powering out from very familiar corners i take daily but that could also be due to the switch from 3.64 to 3.91.

LSD substance makes u high.... :p. All i knw is LSD makes u exit a corner more sharply. But then we dun drive so fast on public roads.....

LSD allows you to make donuts and drifts out of corners nicely.....but some quick hands also needed. So be forewarned!!

In short, more traction and power for the back wheels. Whem maximising the benefits of a LSD, does one drive with the DSC off?

With LSD, on the straight, no different. On corners, the inner wheel instead of being relaxed due the smaller radius path, it's trying to crawl too due to the now only limited slip allowed, DSC will then intercept thinking it's a inner wheel spin, attempting to apply brake on the inner wheel, as a result, tyre and break wear will suffer, despite the improved cornering traction. Actually the additional traction gained, is not powering around the corner, but away from the corner, get ready to counter... :4: More suitable for track and drift use.

Yes, off DSC is a much prefered mode on cars with LSD.

There are 3 types of LSD...
Clutch type, viscous, and helical gears.

Clutch type LSD is the most common in RWD cars especially for drifting.. and there are oso different types : 1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way depending on the ramp angle. basically lock on acceleration or/and deceleration. read up more online. It may cause the DSC to trigger unnecessarily although the LSD does allow enuf slip otherwise, the inside wheel would be chirping especially when taking slow sharp turns on smooth cement surface. I didn't notice that. only the high percentage lock LSD would have this issue. BMW clutch type LSD has either 25% or 40%.

Viscous type more for centre differential for AWD cars.

Helical gears is fully mechanical and virtually maintenance free, it can distribute power from 0-100% between the wheels. Quaife is helical gears. this type won't affect DSC or any driver's aid. However, for it to work, both wheels must have traction even if it's just 5% on 1 wheel. When 1 wheel is lifted off the ground (0% traction), it will spin free like an open diff. And also not preferred for drifting... Good for track use... Best type of LSD for FWD cos it won't have unnecessarily hard steering kickback when accelerating out of corners.

U can research all 3 types in the web...

Top Bottom