Knocking sound coming from engine

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ACS325i

Club Guest
Anything wrong with my E36 325i engine?Always hear this 'tick-tick' sound at a constant interval coming from the engine bay within the drivers cabinnoticeable when switch off aircon and ICE, just wondering what it is and whether can be repaired.

Originally posted by ACS325i@Dec 18 2004, 03:13 AM Anything wrong with my E36 325i engine?Always hear this 'tick-tick' sound at a constant interval coming from the engine bay within the drivers cabinnoticeable when switch off aircon and ICE, just wondering what it is and whether can be repaired.
The sounds could be coming from the hydraulic lifters. Does it sound louder during a cold start?What's the mileage of the car now?

yup definitely sounds louder during cold startafter that sort of fades away thoughmileage is 155k

Sounds like lifters. Anyway I have a set of used ones. Alternatively some owners have tried using different engine oils and reported to minimise or reduce the ticking noise. Good luck!

Originally posted by ALBundy@Dec 17 2004, 04:46 PM Sounds like lifters. Anyway I have a set of used ones. Alternatively some owners have tried using different engine oils and reported to minimise or reduce the ticking noise. Good luck!
Hmm, you have a set of used ones? Interested to get rid of them and for how much? Might be good to have them as spares if the price is right.Mine current ticks ticks a bit during cold starts but disappears after a while. They were not changed the last time the engine was overhauled.

wanna give the Q8 F1 oil a try??? ;)got good feedbacks on the oil for some of the BMW engines.

Originally posted by fabianyee@Dec 17 2004, 09:38 PM wanna give the Q8 F1 oil a try??? ;)got good feedbacks on the oil for some of the BMW engines.
Fab, you got PM...

(fabianyee @ Dec 17 2004, 09:38 PM)wanna give the Q8 F1 oil a try??? got good feedbacks on the oil for some of the BMW engines.
really ar? prob may try during next oil change currently using conoco super gold quite good as well'tick-tick' sound goes away after awhile though :blink:

Sometimes the ticking noise can be from the exhaust flange... but in your case, it seem more likely it's the lifters. if you're interested with the Q8, can drop me a PM for more info.

Originally posted by ALBundy@Dec 18 2004, 09:49 AM Flash yours is a 318 or 325?? The lifters are for the 325.
325i (as indicatred in my signature...)

Anxious, I also have the klock klock sound. Sounds like it is coming from either the front engine bay or the middle undercarriage or rear of the car. Really unsure coz sometimes ada, sometimes tak ada. As some were saying it could be due to the lifters, does E36 318 have lifters too?

Top Bottom