Keyless Entry question

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
My wife just lock the car without shut down the engine yesterday from 1530hrs to 1900hrs and she went up to our clinic about 30 meters from the car. The engine still running but feel a bit warm inside the cabin.

silver arrow;794842 said:
My wife just lock the car without shut down the engine yesterday from 1530hrs to 1900hrs and she went up to our clinic about 30 meters from the car. The engine still running but feel a bit warm inside the cabin.

I think when your wife stop the car, the ASS is activated and shut off the engine, you wife probably thought the car has been shut down and she locked and left the car. How do tell if your car is in sleep mode (ASS activated)? When ASS is activated, only the engine is shut down. The aircon, stereo system, lights, etc should continue to function. Another sign is the tachometer should be at Ready level and not 0.

the longest my neighbours F30 was on was 3 days. he left his car in the garage when he carpool-ed to Penang. came back car still on. petrol is down 40%. luckily, he poured full tank.

hmm.... has anyone actually wrote to BMW regarding this "defect"..... i think this is quite serious..... and BMW is talking about being green.... imagine hundreds of BMW cars being left on unintentionally... how much CO2 would be...

It's down to making it a habit I guess. Always press the Start/Stop button before you leave. Just like in the 'old days' where you have to turn key to off position and remove it physically. No biggie for me on this one.

lazzydogg;795286 said:
hmm.... has anyone actually wrote to BMW regarding this "defect"..... i think this is quite serious..... and BMW is talking about being green.... imagine hundreds of BMW cars being left on unintentionally... how much CO2 would be...

not defect. if you forgot to switch off your air con at home and went to work, is that a defect too?

jennypenny;795310 said:
not defect. if you forgot to switch off your air con at home and went to work, is that a defect too?

Hahaha... Well said. Anyway, the first press of the Start/Stop button shuts down the engine. However, the electrical circuit is still on. I have to press the button twice to full shut everything down. Is that the case for everyone here?

TheTinkerer;795343 said:
Hahaha... Well said. Anyway, the first press of the Start/Stop button shuts down the engine. However, the electrical circuit is still on. I have to press the button twice to full shut everything down. Is that the case for everyone here?

Yes Bro.
1st press and everything (electrical, music) still on. 2nd press shuts down everthing.

My instruction to any one driving my car .... push the stp button twice, with the foot off the brake pedal. So far my car has never been left with the engine on.

Jason

TheTinkerer;795343 said:

Yes, me too, I pressed two times all the time before I leave my car... Just in case.

Just to share my personal experience. I once drove myself to the airport with my wife and she drove the car back as usual. But this time I took the key with me... :eek: and I don't even know about it until she called me! My heart drop to the ground when I received the news and I am thinking s***! Guess what? The car didn't shut down at all... all the way back home! What a relief! :18: She had to get the spare key to lock the car, though. So guys & gals, remember who is holding the keys! :4:

What if you drive all the way to JB and then found out that you have left behind the key at home. How?

splee;795461 said:
What if you drive all the way to JB and then found out that you have left behind the key at home. How?

Turn around and drive back to where you came from without turn off the engine :)

splee;794855 said:
I think when your wife stop the car, the ASS is activated and shut off the engine, you wife probably thought the car has been shut down and she locked and left the car. How do tell if your car is in sleep mode (ASS activated)? When ASS is activated, only the engine is shut down. The aircon, stereo system, lights, etc should continue to function. Another sign is the tachometer should be at Ready level and not 0.

That would not be possible ...

When ASS is activated (ready) when u stop, and lock the car with the Key FOB , all system shuts down and the car locks.

After reading all this....I have mix feelings.... I felt lucky my old car doesnt have keyless tech....but, somehow unlucky because keyless is still cool tho....

splee;795461 said:

If 328i or 320i look for the nearest petrol station, fill her up, and drive back for the keys. If 320d simply turn around and drive back for the keys.

willy5;795607 said:
If 328i or 320i look for the nearest petrol station, fill her up, and drive back for the keys. If 320d simply turn around and drive back for the keys.

Is it possible to get help from the service centre instead of driving all the way back to KL?

splee;795631 said:
Is it possible to get help from the service centre instead of driving all the way back to KL?

Sori Bro I thought you were joking. To start with, the only way to start the car is with the key in the car, unless for some you reason you took it out after you started the car and forgot to bring it back inside.

If it is a replacement key you need then you got a problem, in the e39, the replacement key had a built in imobiliser and had to be ordered from Germany or at least that was what I was told.

Check with your SC, they will know better.

jennypenny;795280 said:
the longest my neighbours F30 was on was 3 days. he left his car in the garage when he carpool-ed to Penang. came back car still on. petrol is down 40%. luckily, he poured full tank.

Just seems really crazy. To me it doesnt appear to make sense. I dont think there are any benefits from this system. Could land you in a lot of trouble

ebby37;796670 said:
Just seems really crazy. To me it doesnt appear to make sense. I dont think there are any benefits from this system. Could land you in a lot of trouble

It is actually possible to lock the car with the engine running. The biggest give away would be the engine noise. So I guess the F30 have relatively stronger engine noise for this reason, perhaps. Rule of thumb, press the Stop button to switch off the engine. Press a second time to switch off ACC. It is ok not to press 2 times if you intend to lock the car, as it will do that when you press the lock on the remote key.

Top Bottom