Keyless Entry question

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ccthien

Club Guest
If I leave my engine running and lock the door, then walk away with my key, does the engine shut off?

Waaaa....mcm tu ka.....but some other car I know....It won't off immediately but if the range between the immorbalizer n the car is too far....it will die off...if I'm not mistaken....if not...dangerous ley

It will not. I have tried if with an occupant (adult) inside. I walk away (to run some errands) with the engine running. The engine will not shutdown but a warning message will be display on the screen and the car cannot be driven under that circumstance. I think it's due to the immobilizer.

TheTinkerer;794364 said:
It will not. I have tried if with an occupant (adult) inside. I walk away (to run some errands) with the engine running. The engine will not shutdown but a warning message will be display on the screen and the car cannot be driven under that circumstance. I think it's due to the immobilizer.

That make sense...I thought can drive....did u try to drive? Maybe if the car move...then oni the engine off...

Nope. Unless the engine is shut then the car wont start. happened when i was at a carwash.

irfan80;794366 said:
That make sense...I thought can drive....did u try to drive? Maybe if the car move...then oni the engine off...

I just tested at home, start engine wind down window, leave my car with my key remote lock the car with engine running, leave my key far enough, the engine still running, there is an error msg say cannot start engine with out remote, but I can engage gear and move forward and backward, I didn't try to drive a distance though.

hmmm...

irfan80;794366 said:

I was the one away with the key. So, didn't get to test it out. Maybe someone else can share their experience.

I tried my friend's brand new Prius hybrid ( sorry to take other than BMW as an example)....without the key the car can move as far as 100m before the engine die off....

there must be something wrong if this is the case. I wonder what was BMW's rational for designing it this way. Cos the car is fairly silent when idle, I have got out of the car, locked it and then realised that it is still running. Doesnt make sense. Can you imagine if you leave it like that the whole night. So next morning, no petrol to go to work !

Atmosphere Motorsport;794382 said:
the engine wont die off. my wife did once from Setia Alam drove to Midvalley only she found out she leave the key at home.

I think something is very wrong here. The car should not be able to drive without the key. This is simple logic. Sounds like the security system only check for the key once only when we first start the engine. Thereafter the system will not check for the key again? This is not safe. Can someone verify or check on this with BMW Malaysia.

splee;794581 said:
I think something is very wrong here. The car should not be able to drive without the key. This is simple logic. Sounds like the security system only check for the key once only when we first start the engine. Thereafter the system will not check for the key again? This is not safe. Can someone verify or check on this with BMW Malaysia.

It is as stated in the manual.

Jason

the worst part i believe would be the integration of the start stop..... imagine after u stop ur car ur engine offs automatically.... then u walk off not remembering u havent off the engine...

The purpose is for valet parking. You can take your key and the valet will park your car for you (but not lock it). Later you retrieve your car yourself or give the key to the valet to get the car. Once parked the car cannot be moved without the key.

Atmosphere Motorsport;794382 said:
the engine wont die off. my wife did once from Setia Alam drove to Midvalley only she found out she leave the key at home.

Its true, after the car was start, and someone removed the key from it, it will show a msg say the key is not found, and the car can still be drive somewhere around u wan it be.

Unlike W212, if the key beeen removed, once the car's break paddle been engage, it will auto shut down the engine.

So, don leave ur car started by removing the key and leave it away, could be in danger of losing it.

Momoco;794764 said:
Its true, after the car was start, and someone removed the key from it, it will show a msg say the key is not found, and the car can still be drive somewhere around u wan it be.

Unlike W212, if the key beeen removed, once the car's break paddle been engage, it will auto shut down the engine.

So, don leave ur car started by removing the key and leave it away, could be in danger of losing it.

At least in an F30, the message will not go unnoticed. Besides the message (large one) being displayed, the noisy warning tone will start to trigger. I think that should be enough to warn any driver without the key with him/her.

Top Bottom