Just Got A BMW Maxi Scooter

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
The Amazing C600 Sports Scooter by BMW - inmy humble opinion

csport01.jpg

Had the privilege of testing the scooter at Chear Motorrad just now. Very very impressive. Although the heart is Taiwanese the soul is 100% German, and the 'BMW' feel is very apparent. There are several touches if brilliance that will make this scooter a force to be reckoned with in the Megascoot market.

BUT, let's get the bad news out of the way.
When i got there, the scooter was in the workshop. It refused to start and this was eventually solved by swapping the switch to a new set.
Not Good. Not Good at all.

After a two hour wait, ( had a chat with Dato' Syed Moheeb at his shop while waiting ) the switches were replaced and I took it for a spin around the block.
I like it very much.
Before swinging my leg over, I took a close look at the features; The two gloveboxes will be very useful, one of which can be locked.
The scooter comes with a heated seat (!) but no heated grips (!!!). Should have been the other way round.
The sidestand also activates the parking brake - BRILLIANT - you'd appreciate this if you ride big scooters as long as I did.

The storage compartment is big, and the rear section can be 'dropped' onto the rear wheel allowing another fullface helmet to be stored when parked - another BRILLIANT touch. There is a starter inhibitor to ensure you cannot roll away with the compartment in the open position. However the compartment was wet. Apparently water seeped in when the bike was washed. Meaning the splash from the rear wheel can do the same thing. Something to think about.

The build quality is good. The scooter feels light to push around.
But the scooter feels tall because the seat is wide. I was tip-toeing and cannot be flat footed. Shorter riders may find this a problem, but on the other hand the scooter is not top heavy.

The power is more than enough, almost as close to my GP800, which has another 200cc.
On my first roll of the throttle I noticed the CVT power transfer and 'catch-on' to be seamless, better than any scooter that I ridden. Although the push after CVT 'catch-on' is ok, a little more power would have been better, but I think BMW designed it to be a little gentle so it will not intimidate first timers.

Acceleration is brisk, and will probably beat the F650GS if the GS is ridden casually, ie the GS rider will need to put more effort to keep ahead. The engine is smooth, the intake noise is a little loud but not objectionable. Engine braking is present when throttle is rolled off, although not as good as it is on my GP800. Freewheeling cuts-in below 15km/h.

Brakes were the best I have ever experienced on any scooter. None of the ghastly F650GS feedback no matter how hard i braked on uneven surface and over a manhole. The ABS works perfectly with just discernible pulsing at the levers.

Using the front brake in a turn does make the bike stand-up so that's something to be aware of.
The steering takes some effort ie heavier than I thought, but then again, perhaps the tyre pressure was set too low.

This scooter is in a position to embarrass some sportsbikes in the twisties if a good rider is on board. I cannot comment on its high speed stability as I only rode the bike around the block. But that short 3km ride is enough to make me want to know more.

Compared to my 3 year old Gilera, this handles better, more nippy in the corners and feels much lighter. I have ridden the TMax, and this is superior, although that's against the older TMax. The new TMax 530 I have not ridden but I have read its more than a match. However, given its similar pricing, this Taiwanese powered BMW offers a better value proposition, has more generous baggage space and is more spacious.
Between the two, I'd personally choose this Taiwan/German hybrid.

I wish I can do the same on the GT. And will be privileged enough to test the scooter on my favorite Genting / Karak Highway Loop.

Thanks John & David of Chear Motorrad.

Wow ... excellent review :top: Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Thx for the review Capt.. It might time to let the gp go and let this hybrid in the garage now I guess..

Had a test ride on this scooter during Chear Motorrad Puchong Test Ride Event around Cyberjaya. I managed to get 160kmph on this scooter. It feels heavy during stationary but nimble on the move. Premium feel all over. Seat is plush and comfy. Ample space underneath the seat to store 2 helmets. I can imagine myself taking this scooter on a commute to work and on the highway long way round with my wife. But at RM 65,000 makes me think a bit longer, though.

Received a call from BMW Motorrad just now, they informed me they have a 2013 pre-registered C600 Sports selling for 45K, dugaan..............

Top Bottom