Japan Spec maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shad3s

Club Guest
hi guys,am going to look at a 2002 525i Japan spec tomorrow.was wondering what's the cons of a Japan spec 525i vs a CKD one?spare parts all the same?thanks

After year 2000, good chance your radio frequency is worldwide and you can just change the region.
Other difference that I know of :

1. High standard on emission controls - 4 oxy sensor instead of 2,
2. Secondary air pupm and valve system to control emission when engine cold.
3. Gear box mounting and propeller shaft different.
4. Exhaust system different from local.
5. Some electronic spec such as folding mirror, chairs etc.

Good Luck and look for a full spec one with OBC.

hi guys,
just saw the car. its not year 2002, but year of make is 2000.
still m54 engine, but mileage is

selfmech,
how do i know whether the E39 has an OBC? i thought all BMW has one?

owner wants to sell at 78k. wont go lower than that.
what do you guys think? was hoping to pay ~low to mid 70k.
am i asking for too much?

engine wise should be ok la.
its the aesthetics that im not happy about.
owner didnt seem to bother too much bout car care.
probably have to spend some cash to spruce it up.

Year 2000 is m52TU engine.

Millage can tempered, don't trust the figure.

Shad3s,

On the full spec ones, you will have a monitor display either 4" or 7" controlling radio, navigation, tv, on board computer(obc) display, aux vent control for in cabin, dsp etc... Other accessories are memory seats, rear screen, memory side mirror.
Engine wise you better get a mechanic and hook up to see the history of service and part replaced (some electronic parts will be recorded such as fuel pump, actuator etc). One major point to lookout for is the cooling system. There are few reports on Jap spec E39 with hairline crack on cylinder 1 causing coolant loss.
M52 engines run on cable and M54 on wire. You can find out the spec using the VIN and TIS.

hi selfmech,
thanks for your detailed explanation.
bmw7833,
i've keyed in the VIN into multiple VIN decoders and they all show M54 engine. plugged in to the DLC and that too shows M54 engine.

unfortunately, couldnt come to an agreement with the owner regarding the price. my hunt goes on.

bmw7833;576898 said:
Year 2000 is m52TU engine.

Millage can tempered, don't trust the figure.

actually bro, M54 came out in year 2000 (around Sept). Shouldn't be difficult to tell the difference. M54 is very free-revving compared to M52. Mileage displayed can be tempered but the actual one on OBC should be correct as far as I understand. Just get a workshop to plug in the diagnostic machine. Should see the real mileage. If it differs from what's on display, I'd walk away. Don't know what else they tempered with. I think if it's Jap spec, it's possible for the mileage to be ridiculously low. Japs don't drive much.

Hi Shad3s,

I have a friend interest in getting a E39. Can you PM me the contact of the owner of the Jap spec one that you are not taking.
Thanks.

Top Bottom