It's just built that way!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rpmnut

Club Guest
You know how they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?I think I learnt my lesson as far as BMW engines are concerned.The lesson goes a bit something like this:(1) BMW engines are never as quiet as Japanese engines;(2) They make quite a racket when they're cold....just accept this as a fact. (3) If the noises all go away when the engine is warm, don't worry about it.Why do I post this?Cos I just spent RM1,700+ replacing the hydraulic lifters on my 525i, only to discover that tapping noises when the engine is cold is perfectly normal.And how did I discover it? I went to check out my friend's rand-new F10 523i over the weekend.It was early morning, and he was starting it for the first time that day. When the engine started, I heard the EXACT same tapping noise that I had on my E39!And here I thought my E39 needed fixing! *sigh*Lesson learnt. Leave the engine alone! LOL! :p

Did you inquire or ask anyone opinions on BMWCM forum or other countless BMW forums around the world before plunging in 1.7k for the hydraulic lifters?

thanks for sharing :top:

Ironically I did, but that little man in my head told me to do it anyway! LOL!

To be fair, he did say it's quite normal.
Then I asked him what I could do if I wanted the noise to stop.
To which he said changing the lifters would probably do it, but it's not a sure thing since he's seen plenty of BMW's with the same issue.

Of course I decided to take the risk lah, cos I was tired of hearing my M54 sound like a diesel every morning....:)

What oil does the E39 use?

My E90's tappet noise was obvious when I ran Torco SR1 5w-30 during morning start up but the noise goes away within seconds.

I think most off the BMW was born to be noise at the 1st start at every morning

All cars that run hydraulic tappet will have this noise when engine is cold. Once oil is properly circulated and fill up the tappets (there are 2 tiny holes in it), the noise will be gone. It will only be considered a problem if the ticking noise still persists despite the engine being warmed up.

I had mine replaced as well, previously paid like 60 bucks a piece (24 pieces) and it turned out to be a bent exhaust valve!!

I highly doubt any of us here are exactly stage/concourse-worthy when we are awoken first thing each morning. I give Bimba a break and I have faith she won't let me down.

Bimba? Cute name for a car. lol

Well, the good thing is that the noise isn't apparent anymore if the weather is warm.
The tapping noise now only happens on cold mornings....so at least got SOME improvement lah! :D

I'm using Castrol now, but I think I'll have to experiment with oils a bit. I heard that some cars miraculously cure themselves when they use thicker oil like Magnatec or Shell Helix.

I just got to know one guy on the bimmer forums who swears by Tufoil. Said he poured one bottle into his M52 and the lifters all went quiet.

Anyone with experience using Tufoil or other additives?

I read somewhere the original Castrol oils (not sure about Malaysia based Castrols) BMW uses have viscosity rated at 12.2 cst for 100C. This is close to a weight 40 oil. Be sure to check if you are having weight 30 oil, what's the viscosity at 100C. The range can be from 8.5 to 12.5 cst. Maybe related to tapping noise during warm-up.

Edit: not forgetting the HTHS viscosity needs to be more than 3.5.

Ade;576481 said:
I read somewhere the original Castrol oils (not sure about Malaysia based Castrols) BMW uses have viscosity rated at 12.2 cst for 100C. This is close to a weight 40 oil. Be sure to check if you are having weight 30 oil, what's the viscosity at 100C. The range can be from 8.5 to 12.5 cst. Maybe related to tapping noise during warm-up.

Edit: not forgetting the HTHS viscosity needs to be more than 3.5.

That's the German Castrol aka Castrol Syntec you're referring. It has a heavy 30 weight.

Castrol Syntec...where do I get that?
I looked around at the hardware shops last night...they only carry Magnatec...

don't think u can get it here. that's why its advisable to find a weight 40 oil rather than 30.

Just thinking aloud...

If the tapping noises are caused by slow oil flow into the lifters when the engine is cold, would it be better than to use thinner oil so it flows faster to the lifters?

OW-30 oil perhaps?

Or are our cars too old to use oils that thin? Read somewhere that oil consumption in older cars skyrocket with thinner, faster flowing oils.

What kind of sound? I think the 6 pots engine sound nice when started with deep bassy rumble noise:smokin:

This isn't a video of my car, obviously, but my E39 sounds exactly like this....

Watch the YouTube vid...you'll hear the "tapping" noise at the 28 second time marker....

[video=youtube;MlrCfE03kV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrCfE03kV8&feature=related[/video]

Top Bottom