i got handling problem on my e36

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bainisma

Club Guest
just about 4 month ago i bought e36 318 1997, since then i feel handling problem with the car, sometimes it wanted to go left and right, i do alignment and even change 4 new tyres (17inches tyre) it still happen,pls advise me

U may got some prob on ur front suspension. make sure it's in good condition before u do alignment & balancing..

my 0.00002cent..
could it be due to the road..
straight road are design to lower on one side so that water can goes to the drain...
turning road are design to lean a bit so that the car can stick safely to the road.....

what tyre you are using? some brand tyre without full round side will also cause this problem.

if ur car is lowered with wide 17 tyres n a little bit free play on ur steering wheel then its normal ur car will wander according to the road surface.Another is wrong rim offset,spacer not meant for BMW,tyre size smaller than the width of the rim ,etc. Hope that helps

tchdaniel;358191 said:
if ur car is lowered with wide 17 tyres n a little bit free play on ur steering wheel then its normal ur car will wander according to the road surface.Another is wrong rim offset,spacer not meant for BMW,tyre size smaller than the width of the rim ,etc. Hope that helps

You should NEVER have free play
If you do, ball bearings need to be replaced.

lower arm bar

bainisma;357859 said:
just about 4 month ago i bought e36 318 1997, since then i feel handling problem with the car, sometimes it wanted to go left and right, i do alignment and even change 4 new tyres (17inches tyre) it still happen,pls advise me

check lower arm bar and bush regards tqvm dan:top:

bainisma;357859 said:

when does this happen? when you're going straight on a smooth road? please explain the exact road conditions if possible and how you were driving at that point in time.

check yr lower steering column..the rubber guibo tends to fail prematurely due to over expose to extreme heat emitting from the exhuast header..if there's free play in ur steering..the steering rack is gone..i've experince wat's u experinecing b4.got myself a new lower steering column and a recon steering rack and walla the beast is back to its glory2 best..

i had the same problm with my 328...turns out that my steering rack is a bit loose (12 year old car)..plus my rim is dented a bit on the side.that affected my handling...make sure u check everything including ur shocks,arms and rims...that's my opiniion...

A little bit of advice on cost.

1. check your steering rack with a experienced mechanic, perhaps if it is loose, the rack can be tigtened further. cost, upah only.

2. check your tie rods for wear & tear, . a free play indicates tie rod connection bush to the strut is worn. cost, 100++ per side.

3. check the lower arm bush for wear & tear. car will judder once brake is applied.cost, should be around 180 to 250 per side. insist for m3 arm bush, they tends to last long.

4. Suspension. traces of oil leakge shows the seals on the absorber is deteriorating, more swings on bumps are better prove of suspension failure.Solution, change it, my suggestion, the Black bilstein. 280 to 320 per side.

good luck.

Top Bottom