I am on PS2, but want to change to comfort,safe tire

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

michelle_teo

Club Guest
I hve ps2 on my 523 now. Had 3 punctures since 7 mths of purchase. Not so comfortable and too bumpy.Any recomendts? I hear Gdyear, Falken and Conti 3 make very gd tires.... quiet and safe are my in thingy now. fed up with pple at the back laughing when i slow down so much to save my michelin ps2 tires. :wink:

tayar

michelle_teo;382601 said:
I hve ps2 on my 523 now. Had 3 punctures since 7 mths of purchase. Not so comfortable and too bumpy.

Any recomendts? I hear Gdyear, Falken and Conti 3 make very gd tires.... quiet and safe are my in thingy now. fed up with pple at the back laughing when i slow down so much to save my michelin ps2 tires. :wink:

michelin ps 2 was tested and rated as #4 in recent EVO test.
try conti-sc3 or goodyear assymetric F1. the latter rated as #1 all-rounder.

Second that for Goodyear Asymmetrics. Just released by Goodyear to replace the GSD3s which were my favourite tyre. They're rated no 1 at the moment in performance tests and have a better wear rating than PS2 (which have been around for what, 5 years now ?) I've had them on for 2 months now. Quite happy with them and they're more comfortable than PS2s or Adrenaline 001 Bridgestones. Should be able to get the 225/45/17s at $650 and 245/40/17s at about $750 in Klang.

forge;383839 said:
Second that for Goodyear Asymmetrics. Just released by Goodyear to replace the GSD3s which were my favourite tyre. They're rated no 1 at the moment in performance tests and have a better wear rating than PS2 (which have been around for what, 5 years now ?) I've had them on for 2 months now. Quite happy with them and they're more comfortable than PS2s or Adrenaline 001 Bridgestones. Should be able to get the 225/45/17s at $650 and 245/40/17s at about $750 in Klang.

Hi Forge; I too am looking for new tyres for my 2nd car. Could you share the pros and cons of your new asymetric goodyear tyre? i thought brid 050 and pilot sport 2 would have better stability and corner powers??

Foo

I hve ps2 on my 523 now. Had 3 punctures since 7 mths of purchase. Not so comfortable and too bumpy.

Any recomendts? I hear Gdyear, Falken and Conti 3 make very gd tires.... quiet and safe are my in thingy now. fed up with pple at the back laughing when i slow down so much to save my michelin ps2 tires. :wink:

hi michelle r u from kajang? i happen to know someone with ps2's on her dark blue 523i...

:listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen:
I really think the michellin ps 2 is overrated! Flat spot after 3 or 4 days if not using the car. Al to of peopel think michelin mean very high quality. I have the pp2 and i can tell you it is very well made but relly had to swallow pride when i tried my brother azenis 115 falken. The 115 is relly a superb all rounder which was quiet and very gripy come rain or shine. The only tyre now I was told that is also a superb all rounder is the new assymetric good year f1. Do not confuse with the old GDS3 F1 goodyear which is very good in rain but unfortunately noisy and too firm ride. Good luck Michelle.

Pros and Cons.
Well. Price-wise, not very much diff between the PS2's and GY Asyms with the Asyms slightly cheaper (Klang prices)
Thread-wise, Asyms are a newer thread, and supposed to be better in the wet, better edges for better cornering etc. As opposed to PS2s which have been around what ? maybe 5-6 years ? So newer tech, plus better reviews in tyre mag comparos.
Wear-wise , GY Asyms apparently have a higher wear rating than PS2s (but the wear ratings may not apply because conditions here are diff from US)
Purely on MY subjective pt of view, the Asyms don't feel quite as good as PS2s, feedback wise, more cushioned. Which is a plus or minus depending on what you like.
Hope that helps.

Try the Good Year F1 Asym. Got mine 4 days ago. Better than CSC2 in term of comfort but have not tried yet for traction/grip.

Forge

forge;387147 said:
Pros and Cons.
Well. Price-wise, not very much diff between the PS2's and GY Asyms with the Asyms slightly cheaper (Klang prices)
Thread-wise, Asyms are a newer thread, and supposed to be better in the wet, better edges for better cornering etc. As opposed to PS2s which have been around what ? maybe 5-6 years ? So newer tech, plus better reviews in tyre mag comparos.
Wear-wise , GY Asyms apparently have a higher wear rating than PS2s (but the wear ratings may not apply because conditions here are diff from US)
Purely on MY subjective pt of view, the Asyms don't feel quite as good as PS2s, feedback wise, more cushioned. Which is a plus or minus depending on what you like.
Hope that helps.

Hi Forge

What ya mean "not as good as ps2" ?
I dunt really want my steering to be so sensitive to everything on the road. While i like some feedback, my ps2 jolts abit on rough roads. Gets worse on bumps or on those uneven road joints.

quiet or not, your gdyear assymetric? I like safe grip esp when it rains.

Zul;387149 said:
Try the Good Year F1 Asym. Got mine 4 days ago. Better than CSC2 in term of comfort but have not tried yet for traction/grip.

Zul

My brother has Conti Sport 2 on his car. I find them bumpy but wobble sideways over rough road. Strange trait isn't it? Is it quieter or harder on bumps?

kojak;385916 said:
:listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen:
I really think the michellin ps 2 is overrated! Flat spot after 3 or 4 days if not using the car. Al to of peopel think michelin mean very high quality. I have the pp2 and i can tell you it is very well made but relly had to swallow pride when i tried my brother azenis 115 falken. The 115 is relly a superb all rounder which was quiet and very gripy come rain or shine. The only tyre now I was told that is also a superb all rounder is the new assymetric good year f1. Do not confuse with the old GDS3 F1 goodyear which is very good in rain but unfortunately noisy and too firm ride. Good luck Michelle.

es530

I am from Cheras :wink:

Kojak

Falken 115 is discontinued according to my pal

michelle_teo,

Not sure what you meant by bumpy, may be overinflated? Wobble sideways over rough road? Are you referring to 'tram-lining'? That is common to all wide tyre.

Overall I think the Asym better in term of comfort than CSC2, but take it with a pinch of salt because I think with all new tyre it will be comfortable and quiet compared to the old tyre to us the end-user. If really want to compare than should compare with all the tyre while it is still new with the same set-up/car.

So, in the end we needs to depends on the pro to do the test and take the result as given. I would usually read the test done by tireracks.

Zul;387568 said:
michelle_teo,

Not sure what you meant by bumpy, may be overinflated? Wobble sideways over rough road? Are you referring to 'tram-lining'? That is common to all wide tyre.

Overall I think the Asym better in term of comfort than CSC2, but take it with a pinch of salt because I think with all new tyre it will be comfortable and quiet compared to the old tyre to us the end-user. If really want to compare than should compare with all the tyre while it is still new with the same set-up/car.

So, in the end we needs to depends on the pro to do the test and take the result as given. I would usually read the test done by tireracks.

:rolleyes:

Hi ZUL

What r the strengths of yr goodyear asymetric tyres?
What are the weaknesses of it?

Liz

Aiyaa.. this tyres discussion never ends la.. u cannot get the best of both world because its simple physics..

~ Good wet tyres = lousy dry tyres, many groves to channel water out, thus less rubber surface contact to the road, less grip, which make lousy dry tyres.
~ Good wet tyres = noisy tyres, many groves, thus trap air to produce noise.

When tyres start to wear down, the surface rubber becomes tinner and harder, so all tyres will become bumpier and noisier through time.

Same here, I prefer good wet design for my cars because high speed skidding in the wet is disastrous.. I'm on 225/45R17 CSC3 RFT, so far so good. I'm pretty sure the non RFT is even more fun!

So Michelle, are you still on Run Flat Tyres (RFT)? That's where the bump and noise are coming from.. :D

michelle_teo;387494 said:
es530

I am from Cheras :wink:

Kojak

Falken 115 is discontinued according to my pal

Michelle,

For the best tyre deals, I recommend HIN LEONG (Jln Kapar) or BAN HOO in Klang.

You could also try Stamford Tyres but with lesser range of tyres. They have the Falken115 Azenis in stock. I used it before. Unfortunately when I could not find anybody who have it at that time( to replace my one and half year old 115) , I got Continental Sport Contact 3 from Ban Hooi. I only know about Stamford recently. Falken115 grip is better on wet roads and fairly quiet and cheaper!

Stamford Centre:
182 Jalan Mahkota
Taman Maluri
Tel: +60 3 9285 0918

Hope this helps

Hi Zul

U r still alive after spinning on yr new goodyear tyre? Mybe Forge is alive and got updated comments?

Well. the sidewall on the Asym is a bit thicker than the PS2s. That's because they built in a rim protector where the side wall extends out a bit to protect your rims from being kerbed.
As consequence of that is your have more cushioning, so if you like to "feel" the road through your tyres, you'll "feel" it less. Not a bad thing. Just different feel from PS2s which puts through more vibration. Initially i felt road feel was too muted but now with a few thousand klicks with them, I like 'em just fine. Fantastic in the wet, Was doing 200kmh plus in light rain on the way back from singapore a couple of days back, great roadholding and no aquaplaning. I highly recommend Asyms.

michelle_teo;387487 said:
Hi Forge

What ya mean "not as good as ps2" ?
I dunt really want my steering to be so sensitive to everything on the road. While i like some feedback, my ps2 jolts abit on rough roads. Gets worse on bumps or on those uneven road joints.

quiet or not, your gdyear assymetric? I like safe grip esp when it rains.

Update on the Asymetrics, 18,000 km on and after 14 months of use.

Front tyres 225 45 17 are completely shot. Completely worn down and looking very shitty.

Quite disappointed with the tyre wear to be frank. My personal favourite tyres, the Goodyear F1 GSD3s (no longer avaliable here) used to be able to give me 30,000k of use before they looked this bad . The rears 245 40 17s still have a lot of thread on the sides of the tyres but the middle appears to be worn out. Quite puzzled as to why ( the GSD3s also used to have this problem as did the RE010 Adrenanlins) I'm quite particular about tyre pressure and always run (cold) 32 psi in front and 34 psi in rears. The particular car they're on is mostly used at night and travels at average speed 140-180 km/h. Anyhow, probably will not be returning to the Asyms. for the next lot of tyres because of the threadwear.

In case anyones interested, replacements for the sizes mentioned run at RM600 for front, RM 750 rear (was just at Hup Shun). PS2 are 700/780. RE050s 1100/1200. Toyo T1Rs 550/730. Probably about 50 bucks cheaper a tyre in Klang.

Hope this helps someone.

Just my 2cents....try CSC3. Quite, traction are superb. So far, this tyre give me the best result based on my actual used before. I been using Good year F1, Dunlop Direzza, Michelin PS2, Adrenaline 001.

Top Bottom