How to jump start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
I have been reading about conflicting steps on how to jump start a car with dead battery.1. Connect the positive clamp of the cable to the dead battery positive.2. Connect the other positive end of the cable to the running battery positive.3. Connect the negative clamp of the cable to the running battery negative terminal.4. Connect the other negative clamp of the cable to the dead battery negative terminal.Now the fourth step seems to defer according to different sources. Some sources says to connect the clamp to an unpainted area of the body of the car that has the dead battery.Now which is the correct way?

Both will work, but I think they usually connect the last clamp to a ground further away from the battery to reduce chance of sparks.
I usually connect mine to my bare engine head.

hmm...if im not mistaken , we are suppose to clamp to the body of the car for the dead negative . in the new cars (BMW) , the terminal under the hood is by default the body . the positive terminal leads all the way back to the battery

fuad, just send your car to the battery and tyre shop. They will do a quick discharge test. From the test, they will tell you how good is your battery.

fuad4;552904 said:
I just did mine this morning.
My steps:

1. positive to supplier (exora), while its engine running
  2. positive to the positive output at the engine bay
  3. negative to supplier (exora)
  4. negative to the front suspension mounting screw (body)
  5. turn my ignition key to start, started on the first try
  6. let the engine running for half hour without any of the electric equipments turned on including aircond
  7. done
Then:

Sorry, diverted a bit :vroam:

Yup, that the instruction on my non UDM manual plus &
same instruction on CLARKE booster cable manual...

I have no UDM manual, does it say otherwise?

dmi3;552815 said:
hmm...if im not mistaken , we are suppose to clamp to the body of the car for the dead negative .

I second that...

evilnickwong;552793 said:
Both will work, but I think they usually connect the last clamp to a ground further away from the battery to reduce chance of sparks.
I usually connect mine to my bare engine head.

True. Whatever you do, you must try to avoid any form of SPARK near your battery.

Remember, your battery is a BOMB! One spark is enough to set it off! How i know? I've experienced it myself. But i was very lucky, my eyes and ear drums are still okey, don't test your luck! If unsure, INVEST in a towtruck and take it to reliable mechanic. Don't play play!

kgb;553064 said:
True. Whatever you do, you must try to avoid any form of SPARK near your battery.

Remember, your battery is a BOMB! One spark is enough to set it off! How i know? I've experienced it myself. But i was very lucky, my eyes and ear drums are still okey, don't test your luck! If unsure, INVEST in a towtruck and take it to reliable mechanic. Don't play play!

Thanks for sharing your experience bro...
Many people are not aware of the instructions & rationale behind it, just leave it to chance...

Top Bottom