How to DIY repair E46 armrest ashtray cover

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Rick Wong

Club Guest
View attachment 28999your ashtray look like this, take out ashtray, get the remain skeleton inside, clean up broken top rubber.View attachment 29000get the clean up skeleton.View attachment 29001ready adhesive, brush & a piece of thick cloth, pvc or leather, (get it from old bag, shoe, etc...)View attachment 29002stick all skeleton on it, if some skeleton missing stick it further, otherwise stick apart for best result, mine missing some.View attachment 29003the top side look like this.View attachment 29004push out the inside plastic bracket, if not the cover can't push inside the rail.View attachment 29005push cover from bottom into the rail, than install back plastic bracket inside.View attachment 29006enjoy your new cover, still can open & close like old days.

I get mine without chrome stripe and the part no: 51168225988 2 years bck from BA rm180. If not mistaken the price for the one with chrome was btw $250-300

No problem bro sharing was caring, likes bro Rick Wong are sharing his experience on repairing this astray here :top:

mushaini;808618 said:
Thank you bro. Will go to BA to check it out.
alternatively you can browse mudah.com. If you dont mind the kedai potong ones. A lot cheaper.

Deng mine just broken. Going hunt at halfcut shops or BA for non-chrome one.

Just an update:

Called up BA today and 51168225988 cost RM190 (without chrome ascents).

My take on the DIY for the astray cover in a lazy afternoon....

Before: all broken into pieces....
20130402_112924.jpg

After: with the help of the 'elephant' glue and some leftover CF sticker.
20130402_120225.jpg

Now, working in perfect condition..... save me some money for the speakers upgrade. :top: Thanks for viewing....

Herbert;815555 said:
Bomin Auto selling the above item new for RM175.00.

most shop has ready stock in either black or dark grey color but not mine with light grey interior... been looking for the complete set with armrest since 2010.... but to no avail... Thx Rick for giving me idea to DIY this...

Do you still have the pics of this fix? I cant see them here or on the original post, and I would love to try it myself.

Top Bottom