How much an E36 M40 air flow sensor cost?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Club Guest
hi all,suspecting my air flow sensor 'kong',wonder how much for a used set?dun want kena cut throat at chop shop..pls help...thanks in advance :top:

a used set is about 400.00 depending on the type.. M40 is expensive, M43 is cheaper..

Hi 5115,
How can you tell the air flow sensor is faulty? Is there a warning light? How does it affect the engine (is it similar effect to having faulty O2 sensor)? Appreciate your feedback for future reference.

There is no warning light if the AFM is faulty unlike an O2 sensor. O2 sensor error can be detected via a diagnostic tool.

A faulty AFM usually cause the idling speed to be eratic. One of the cause is the sticky vane in the AFM cause by scaling builtup in the vane. It can be service by opening the bottom cover of the AFM and file away the scaling.

my car have problem during idling & slow cruising at 10-30 km/h, my mech advise me to try on the air flow sensor 1st.

he also suspect the timing sensor & plug cable,coz my plug cables r kinda stick/melt with my plug....

thanks jarance,will try to ask my mech to service it but im affraid he prefer me to change it as it might be less hassle for him & he could have higher profit since i dunno how to DIY..

If there are sign of melt cable for your ignition, check that first and change it.

Failure of Timing sensor will cause the car to stall.

Yes, most mechanic prefer to change rather than service. That why sometime we need to DIY to save some money and learn more thing about our UDM. I have given some hint in the DIY section on how to service the AFM.

jarance;251152 said:

If there are sign of melt cable for your ignition, check that first and change it.

Failure of Timing sensor will cause the car to stall.

Yes, most mechanic prefer to change rather than service. That why sometime we need to DIY to save some money and learn more thing about our UDM. I have given some hint in the DIY section on how to service the AFM.

:rock: thanks for ur help bro, go to check now & hope my brain could digest ur info :burnout:

edit- bro jarance i found there are nothing in the Do-It-Yourself Garage... where the thread of service air flow sensor located?

pls help.

oops.. forgot, the DIY is for Official Members only. Sorry. I see whether I can arrange something like email or PM to you if you are interested in DIY.

bro jarance, UGPM

btw beside rpm drop & feel diff to climb to higher rev,sometime it goes the other way round.the rpm maintain at 2-3k rpm without pedal it...

any sifu pls help to advise wats the problem? air flow sensor faulty too?

OK got the PM. Have send instruction to your email.

Hope it helps.

Your car exhaust fume smell funny. something like sulphur smell. check also the colour of the exhaust fume especially when the engine is cold.

all the problems of erractic idling speed and smell are related to:-
1. AFM
2. ICV
3. Vacuum Hose.

my mech cleaned my ICV just few days ago (i dun think its clean enuf coz he juz take a bottle of chemical spray into it & take a few shake the install back under my hood,not even take cloth to wipe...)

my vacum hose broken on 1 end, i play by take it out & plug it back & found the broken area doesnt affect much anyway will get a new hose & change.anyone know roughly how much it cost?

AFM-not dare to change it 1st coz pricey,will try to have a DIY service which provided by u.

thanks again bro jarance & good day.

Mr.liew Intersted Pm Me N Go Directly...he Hav Tons Of Good Airflow E36 E30....bargain N Kill...hehehe

But First Take Wd 40 Spray The Head Socket Wire N The Head Soket Of The Airflow,,then Airjust The Timing By Screw Driver..pm Me For Instruction If Ok..bro.tq D

hi all,juz an update for u all.

thanks to bro jarance,i get the air flow sensor DIY service manual & tried tis morning,cleaned the temp sensor & found tat the flap doesn't feel stick as it could cause the rev inconsistant issue.so i did not dismantle thye whole unit,juz take a cloth & apply some alcohol to clean the internal part with a screwdriver.

5115;251302 said:
my mech cleaned my ICV just few days ago (i dun think its clean enuf coz he juz take a bottle of chemical spray into it & take a few shake the install back under my hood,not even take cloth to wipe...)

then i take out the ICV & try my best to clean the rotating flap/valve with the same method like air flow sensor.

after installed all into it's position,i start my car & rev few times then turn on my air-cond.....

everything goes smooths & work nicely.

again,million thanks to bro Jarance for ur instruction & advise!!!!

& never forget others who post advise & comment here..

good day! :rock:

Top Bottom