Hi with a 2011, E90 320i from Japan with engine problems (just 55k on it)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Yalcin Aydin

Hi,
This is my story with BMW and mechanics in Malaysia, unfortunately not a good one.

I have found BMW Club Malaysia while searching for a shop to fix my 2011 E90 320i's oil burning problem. I have bought it from a colleague who was returning back to Turkey. Car was clean with just 55k km on it. So I didn't think much and bought it for 10k USD (tax free).

28682168037_d8639f48f7_k.jpg

Not much time passed the oil warning lamp came. They told me that service forgot to close and later I have learnt that when the warning came they just close it. I thought the problem was with the sensor so they I gave the car to first to a recommended mechanic (RM800 with no chance..) and then BMW Tun Razak service stating 'I guess there is an oil leakage issue'. These guys must know the best right? Sadly no. They told me the sensor is ok but engine is leaking oil so I left the car there. 1 week later the car was still there, nothing was done. I was very angry so talked directly with the After Sales Manager. Then 3 days later, they told me that the car is ready and took my RM +3k. I drove from KL to Thailand and after 1200km lamp came back... I am in a different country having an engine problem and original BMW service 'fixed' it just 1,5 week ago. I put more oil every time I got the warning. BMW checked the car and said their 'fix' is ok, no leakage from that 'fix', genius! I talked with the After Sales Manager, he said he will return back to me but no return...

So I concluded that the original BMW Malaysia service sucks big time so I started looking for a trusted mechanic. Could not find one yet.

Last time I used PTC at Tun Razak. They have lots of BMW and luxurious cars like Lamborghini etc. and looked like they know what they are doing. First paid RM2.2k for an extensive service (spark plugs, engine and transmission oil etc.) which indeed boosted the somewhat lacking agility but oil burning is still there and they are asking for RM8.5k for complete engine overhaul (giving warranty for it). Guy said this was a chronic problem with this engine. I was planning to do it but the last time I left the car there for AC service and unsurprisingly oil addition, I paid RM400 and get AC improved but nothing done for the oil. Come on, this was the main idea behind bringing the car there. When the AC is maxed on Neutral the smoke coming out of the exhaust is really annoying and not cool. I left the garage like this while all the mechanics were looking at the car confused. This incident has shaken my faith on them so I have started looking for somewhere new.

Now the car has +64k km on it and I could drive it only 450 km after the last oil service. And the annoying smoke is always there!

Here after some search the only name I got is 'WP Auto Service, Pandan Mewah' I will try it.

By the way this is my 2nd car and 2nd BMW. The first was 2002 X5 3.0d Sport with 190k km on it. I loved that car (more than 320i), made +30k km with it. Still very beautiful but I spent like 1,200 EUR twice for its transmission and it happened always while driving in a foreign country so mechanically I have lost my trust on BMW. My next car won't be a BMW...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yalcinaydin/albums/72157696162886972

Last edited:
Sorry to hear ur predicament bro. To start off with, yes the n46/n42 engine in the e90 is a lil bit problematic. Known for oil loss, but not on an early mileage. My e46 n42 engine (earlier variant to n46) only started to lose oil approx 120k km. But im just stumped at the RM3+k bill fm BMW Tun Razak for the 'fix'. What was fixed? Mind sharing?

Yeah WP Auto i.e. Albert is a competent mech, based on some of the members here. Hope He'd b able to sort u out.

BTW, whats ur oil change interval?

Sorry to hear ur predicament bro. To start off with, yes the n46/n42 engine in the e90 is a lil bit problematic. Known for oil loss, but not on an early mileage. My e46 n42 engine (earlier variant to n46) only started to lose oil approx 120k km. But im just stumped at the RM3+k bill fm BMW Tun Razak for the 'fix'. What was fixed? Mind sharing?

Yeah WP Auto i.e. Albert is a competent mech, based on some of the members here. Hope He'd b able to sort u out.

BTW, whats ur oil change interval?
Yes sad part is the low km of the car. X5 had nearly 200k km on it so understandable but 55k is pretty low.

On highway trips longest stretch was 1200 km before getting the add oil warning. In KL traffic it is as short as 450km.

This is BMW Tun Razak’s bill
08C56535-BE16-47E0-AA11-57021F47F2A7.jpeg

Looks like the labor charged is too much if u wer to ask me. 60% of the bill is services (i.e. labor). Parts price are acceptable.

But y did the bill mention ur ride is an F30 when its actully an E90?

Looks like the labor charged is too much if u wer to ask me. 60% of the bill is services (i.e. labor). Parts price are acceptable.

But y did the bill mention ur ride is an F30 when its actully an E90?
Their sloppy and for me unprofessional work.
We also have an official new 760 LI HS with 6k km on it and it already has AC problems and guess what? Faulty oil sensor.

I am not happy with Mercedes and Hyundai official Services too, always getting angry when the cars go to the services. Startex has overheating issue and they couldn’t figure out what it wrong. Mercedes always ends up giving high repair bills.

Top Bottom