Hi, newbie here. Need some help on e46.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

lord-beemer

Club Guest
Hi,Happy chinese new year. Im a newbie here and totally new to BMW world. I was thinking and cotradicting on purchasing a BMW E46 model however I have a few concern in my mind. I just saw your website and I hope all the BMW Master would help me and guide me in my predicement and also guide me to purchase a nice and wow E46.1. Option 1: BMW E46 318i M Sport - Recond RM 140,000+-Prediciment: Item is like new visually, but how about the mileage and maintainance cost? Not enough horsepower right?2. Option 2: BMW E46 325i (New Facelift) M Sport - Second RM 180,000+-Prediciment: Item is like a bit used visually, but how about the mileage and maintainance cost? Really like this one but also very hard to find with the SMG/Mtech Bodykit. If I were to buy a normal one Mtech body kit, suspension and 19" AC rims in total estimation cost.3. Option 3: BMW E46 325i (New Facelift) SMG - Second RM 190,000+-Prediciment: Item is like a bit used visually, but how about the mileage and maintainance cost? Any major difference between this in standar and SMG version, which one is actually better? Also some estimation cost for sport suspension and 19" AC rims.My prediciment is the mileage and upgrade cost of it, rather than buy a SMG E46 is almost complete on the Rims and suspension upgrade issue. But is SMG got problem in maintainance in non AB workshop especially in Perak? Also very hard to find a SMG E46 or a New facelift with SMG bodykit right?The 318 M-sport look fine in price and maintainance but lacking in horsepower and wow factor. I dont want to regret after buying it for a while. So guys, please help.

Its really bolts down to your personal preference. Assumption here is that your 2nd hand car is in good condition and there is no major issue such as engine or gearbox problem.

A 318i would definitely means lower maintenance and better fuel economy for town drive. However, do get the 2.0 valvetronic which is better than the 1.9. Be wary of recond as you said, physical appearance will hide internal problems. Get us the VIN so that we can double check its originality.

However, a 325 is definitely higher fuel consumption but a sportier drive than a 318i. Expect maintenance to be 40% more (anybody else)..This is my rough estimate though.

SMG..again, this is personal preference. Its a manual, so, think carefully man...

But, for me, a good compromise is to get a 325i instead of the SMG...why not you try AutoBav used since Ipoh has a BMW authorized dealer there..

Bodykit, you can go for fiber dude...cost way less or you can wait when a 2nd hand comes along....to me, i think bodykit comes 2nd. The most important is the internal engine condition and the interior of the car when bought.

Good LUCK!

Thanks Ade.

So I also think I should go for the 325i. Now only thing is to get a really nice one.

get the 325 2nd option. i believe you're referring to 04 model right?. maintenance more expensive than the 318 no doubt but.....enuf said.

if you have the means,get a 6cyl e46..i just can't comprehend why people would want to get the 318i if they can afford a 6cyl one.i've also heard of maintainance issues regarding the SMG so i'd get the steptronic.
as for the bodykit and alloys,get those later..there are plenty to choose from.take your time and enjoy doing her up..
if it was up to me,i'd get a manual 325i but those are not available here in our beloved country(for whatever bloody reasons)..
so i'd recommend a 325i step..good luck in choosing.

Drive all three options first. Then discuss.

I think you may quickly rule out option 1 after that, since your budget is all the way up to option 3.

Did you try the SMG in option 3? May be a bit clunky for the taste of some.

Asking for opinions without driving it first is a bit like picking your clothes based on friends opinions without trying it on.

Am amazed you are looking for 19" rims, asking about horsepower, mileage and maintenance costs, all at the same time. These are all contradicting requirements. You get more horsepower, you need to pay more for maintenance and fuel consumption will increase. And 19" rims will not make you go any faster. If anything, fuel consumption may suffer coz you are lugging a heavy set of rims around. So, you need to be clear, what is more important for you.

Lowest maintenance and best fuel consumption - option 1.

Max performance and max maintenance cost - option 3.

The SMG is an automated manual, which is more performance oriented than the steptronic, which is after all still auto. So, if you are after performance, I'd go for 3. But if SMG box goes kaput, very painful on the wallet.

If you are after a display shelf on which to slap on 19" rims and all the bodykits you can get your hands on, go for 1, and you'll have some money left for the decorative items. You'll have a pretty car, which costs you the least on maintenance. Can't go very fast, but then, you'll want to go slow anyway for others to admire your car.

So, know yourself and what makes you happy.

Wah. Thanks guys. really appriciate it.

I was thinking either option 2/3. Never driven SMG Beemer before. Only auto. Last beemer driven was E48 318i, E60 530i and E90 320i. I want performance and cool looks. Based on your recomendation 325i is the best bet yet. Ill be lucky if I can get one with original Mtech bodykits. In Perak is quite challenging if I wanna take the SMG gearbox due to not many workshop able to handle this transmission so I heard. I driven Golf GTI automated manual and loved it. Only afraid if the gearbox faulty.

The reason I ask for consumption difference and others is wanna see the percentage difference and I dont want 'can buy chicken but cant buy soya sauce'. Hehehe. So maybe I can squeeze more cash for 325i even SMG but Im not sure the bodykit price will cause me. I love 19" AC type 4 rims that what made me contradic to get 318i cause dont wanna be left behind at the traffict light plus love the new facelift with Mtech or M3 SMG bodykits. Make me dreel.

So thanks for the advice. Now all I need is to few a nice E46 325i New Facelift prefarbly with Mtech original bodykit. Any main diffrent with the good PU/Rubber and original for beemer. Fiber for me is a no no.

One last question, why te hell AB used beemer is so so damn expensive?
Anybody from AB care to coment? I driving down to KL to check future prospect soon. So anybody have time next weekend to accompany me? Nice food will be rewarded, hehehe. Good contact with grey importers are welcome.

My humble suggestion is, buy a car to the best of your budget, and enjoy it as it is. As your budget grows, buy rims, etc when you come across good deals. That way, you will appreciate the improvements even more, and spend less money.

If you buy a car fully loaded up w trims, rims, and kit, when you get bored w what you have, what can you do? Spend more money on more mods!

No matter how good a car it is, we all get bored and restless over time and will want to mess around w it, which for me, is part of the enjoyment of the ownership experience.

The exception is bodykit. It is typically cheaper and less troublesome to buy a car that already comes w the bodykit you like. It's just harder to find one you like, however.

Get option 2.

Option 1 will bore the hell outta you, Option 3 will give you nightmares because of the SMG.

Hmm... option to is getting better support. Now to find one. Anybody?

Perak market very limited and afraid when I go to the grey importers in KL the will cut my head off. I see motor trader beemer prices also oh my god! So bloody expensive. Now what I can do is slowly try to find a nice 325i. Really love in white color! Thanks guys.

welcome to the club 1st of all.....

yeah i wld also go for option 2 if ur out for awesome fun and drivability...

if ur patient,wait around and keep a look out for ur dream ride and it will eventually be found.

if u can,join the tt nearest to u and meet the guys and they will also help out with advice etc.
good luck and rgds,
-brad-

Thanks Tyke, will be coming next weekend to KL any TT session at that time? Im also browsing cars at that time. I do agree with option 2.

Found 1. Please check it out. But 208K. Worth it or not?

BMW 325I (A)

Classification Cars For Sale
Asking Price RM 208,000
Year 2004
Transmission Automatic
Mileage 50,000 km
Color Metallic Oxford Green
Ownership Second Owner
Location Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur

BMW 325i (A) 2004, Exclusive Edition, Oxford Green Metallic Paint, Grey Chameleon Special Leather, 192bhp 2.5 liters Inline-6 Engine, 5-speed Steptronic Auto Transmission, M3/SMG-II Bodykit, Bi-Xenon headlights, Clear Coners Lamps, Fog Lights, Intermittent Wiper System and Rain Sensor, Luxury Wood Trims, Electronic Memory Seats w Lumber Support, Auto Dim Mirror, AM/FM/Cassette Hi-Fi Sound w 10-Speakers, 6-Disc CD Changer, Multi Air Bags, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt/Telescoping Multifunction Steering, Cruise Control, Auto Climate Control, 4-wheel ABS, DSC III, 17" S/Rims with 225/45-17 Tyres, Immobilizer, Alarm. Accident Free, Tip Top Condition. Warranty Still Available and Maintained by Auto Bavaria.

Driver Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Side Airbags, Anti-lock Brakes, Alarm, Power Locks, Keyless Entry, Premium Sound, AM/FM Radio, Cassette Player, CD Changer, Air Conditioner, Power Seats, Power Steering, Cruise Control, Power Windows, Sunroof, Alloy Wheels

Compare w the prices you see in the Star (which is generally lower than Motortrader) and you'll get an idea of how it compares w the rest of the market.

Next, take a look at the car, the mileage, the condition, the features, etc.

Be patient, look at several examples to get a good feel for what's out there in the market.

Then, when a good buy comes along, you will recognize it immediately.

If you are in a hurry, and have money to burn, forget all the above, and buy the first one that strikes your fancy. If not, take you time. This should not be an impulse buy.

AB was offering the e46 325 sports edition at RM268K few months back. i believe all were snapped up. RM208K for an 04 model is slightly high, go test drive the car and if you like it, try nego the price to around RM200K.

Top Bottom