Help! Help! Help!...Gearbox problem..Need advise..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

onemillionclub

Club Guest
Salam all,Did anybody faced these similar problems?Mine is E46 318i M43 year 2000 local. Mileage are about 140,000 kmGearbox problem:-1) It takes 1 - 2 seconds to engage the gear from N to D or from P to R2) Found no leaking at the GB3) 1st gear to 2nd takes longer to change when engine is cool below the "blue level" (gauge)4) Gear change not smooth on 2nd to 3rd (a little delay about 1 sec)Rear differential / axle prolem:-1) There is a "DUK" sound (sound heard from the back near rear axle) when my car is slowing down (automatic gear downshift) or when I sudden release the accelerator paddle.I plan to send my car to the workshop this thursday for repair. Need some advise from all friends and sifus before kena goreng dengan mechanic.Thanks....

since we have same model i guess i can answer a few of your question...First question is, did you recently bot this car or owning it very long??

Gearbox box

1)did the gearbox slip before it lock into 1st gear??
3) this is normal, for most automatic cars..reason is to get the oil run in your engine and gearbox after overnite park as oil tend to settle down
4) not so sure, have you check your auto gearbox oil level???

1) that "DUK" sound u hear is your axle lean forward as you decelerating, some rubber bushing need to replace...narthing much...

eujinee;625662 said:
since we have same model i guess i can answer a few of your question...First question is, did you recently bot this car or owning it very long??

Gearbox box

1)did the gearbox slip before it lock into 1st gear??
3) this is normal, for most automatic cars..reason is to get the oil run in your engine and gearbox after overnite park as oil tend to settle down
4) not so sure, have you check your auto gearbox oil level???

1) that "DUK" sound u hear is your axle lean forward as you decelerating, some rubber bushing need to replace...narthing much...

Bro eujinee,

Thanks for your response. Actually i've owned it for 5 years now but these problems had happened once a while for the past 2 months.

The gear did not slip at all but just a little delay about 1 - 2 sec to engage. I will get it check on this thursday (apply cuti daaa!)

After gone thru some thread relating to gearbox problem, many sifus advise to change the ATF oil, filter and check the solenoid first.

Bro Jarance also advise to check the thermostat (under the expansion tank) if rosak then change it.

As for the "DUK" sound, you might be right as some other E46 owner also faced the same problem. I'll get my mech to check these rubber bushing too.

Hopefully just a minor problem.....huhuhuhu

Thanks again bro.

small matter....share to us about ur repairs..i would like to know..just incase future i encounter the same problem as urs...my car is goin to hit 300k millage soon.....

eujinee;625853 said:
small matter....share to us about ur repairs..i would like to know..just incase future i encounter the same problem as urs...my car is goin to hit 300k millage soon.....

Sure bro,

I'll snap some photos to share together with the costing.

Cheers.

hey onemillionclub,

I'm experiencing the "duk" noise as well, good description btw. Hope it is just bushings not something more, my mechanic is almost clueless of where the sound comes from. Keep us posted yeah..

cheers

same problem with my gb.. the "duke" sound and when the gb is very hot it failed to works... engine running but car not moving with "D" gear position.

what i did it change ATF oil cooler rm 180 2nd hand (old oil cooler leaks and mixup with atf oil)
change atf oil gasket and filters
flush radiator
total around rm9++
the "duke" sound still there i think is a GB mounting

[video=youtube;GzLZkJPJsbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLZkJPJsbs[/video]

here ur answer

Here is how it look like from the same person.

[video=youtube;X7gxTSXXQgE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7gxTSXXQgE[/video]

seram;625884 said:
same problem with my gb.. the "duke" sound and when the gb is very hot it failed to works... engine running but car not moving with "D" gear position.

what i did it change ATF oil cooler rm 180 2nd hand (old oil cooler leaks and mixup with atf oil)
change atf oil gasket and filters
flush radiator
total around rm9++
the "duke" sound still there i think is a GB mounting

Bro,

have you change your GB mounting? So how is it now?

aidilj;625880 said:
hey onemillionclub,

I'm experiencing the "duk" noise as well, good description btw. Hope it is just bushings not something more, my mechanic is almost clueless of where the sound comes from. Keep us posted yeah..

cheers

sure bro...

Replacement of sub-frame bushing

Last year, I also experienced the same duk noise from the rear. I tired to buy the sub-frame bushes from Bavaria Auto but no stock and was told that bushings come together with sub-frame assembly. I also asked my USA friend to buy the said bushes and also not avaliable.

Finally an e38 buddy informed me that TITAN absorber manufacturer at Pandan Mewah can fabricate said bushes. Replaced 4 sub-frame bushes for RM320.00 including installation charges.

Top Bottom