Has anyone try DIY on refurbishing e36 headlights?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

EuJax

Club Guest
Hi all, I am thinking of taking out the headlight cover and clean it since its got some dirt and stain in it but have no clue how to do it. I understand it is glued and may need to cut it before we can take it apart....any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks! RegardsJacky

E36 headlight from bosch are not sealed. The front glass cover can be detached from the housing.

ResizeofIMG_2714.jpg

ResizeofIMG_2717.jpg

P1020311.jpg

You have to remove the side lamp first.
P1020310-1.jpg

remove the lamp housing
P1020311-1.jpg

remove the front glass cover.
P1020316.jpg

P1020315.jpg

P1020317.jpg

front glass cover detached for cleaning. Yes, you have to cut the silicon to remove the lens.
I have to to remove it when i install the angel eye.

P1020318.jpg

CAUTION.
Go easy on the Silver Lining when you are cleaning the reflectoras they tend to come off when you use a cloth.

Thanks a lot Jarance. I actually want to clean the glass cover in front of the lenses. Can i detached that part?

Regards

EuJax;601353 said:
Thanks a lot Jarance. I actually want to clean the glass cover in front of the lenses. Can i detached that part?

Regards

You need to cut the silicon that is holding the lens. Take a sharp blade and trim off the silicon around the edges until
the lens get detached from its base.

From the picture below, you can see the right len have been removed. The left len have been sealed back
and glue back with silicon.
see picture below. For cleaning purposes, you may opt to remove one len only. Do dry the cover properly after washing with water.
This will prevent water drop form on the lens when it get cold.
P1020318.jpg

I see. Thanks again Jarance. Am not sure if i can get to the other side of the case if just take out one lense...hmm...man...life make difficult by myself...there is actually nothing wrong with the lights, just hate to see the stains and particles inside...dust etc....

:) Anyway thanks alot, your pictorial explanation is very helpful. Cheers.

there is a space of about 1.5" between the lens and the front cover.

see picture below.

P1020317.jpg

Yes i see that when i was looking at my headlamps. Just not sure if i can wipe all the way to the other end and clean it thoroughly. Hope i can do it before CNY otherwise it would be a long time. Thanks again Jarance.

i performed the headlight cleaning using toothpaste as the myth says it will turn your nasty looking headlight glass new! yes, but only for 1 week. need to gosok like hell but the stone chips are still there. i was once gatal trying to detach the headlight glass and now after rain, steam building up inside the headlight...i regret doing it :(

...in addition, our headlight glass cannot be skimmed as those plastic headlight to look new. we need to buy new haha

Hi there

Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

I cannot get my lamps apart fully.

Can you explain how you seperated the chome parts from the headlamp please?

ResizeofIMG_2717.jpg

Thank you :rock:

Polish my Getz, E39 and X5 at Section 25 Shah Alam. RM50 for each car. Getz is rather bad as its already became yellowish so they have to skim it with fine sand paper first over and over again then only polish it with proper special chemical. RM50 is a good deal although they wanted to charge RM60 for X5 at first. They said lamp bigger. Finally RM50 after a bargain.

Joylove;654350 said:
Hi there

Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

I cannot get my lamps apart fully.

Can you explain how you seperated the chome parts from the headlamp please?

ResizeofIMG_2717.jpg

Thank you :rock:

There 2 black knob at the back of the black housing. It is used for adjusting the vertical aim and

horizontal aim. Turn this knob and the chrome parts will come off.
_____________________________________ V ________________ ____ V
P1020317.jpg

Jarance, what are the tools (screw drivers) needed to dismantle the headlights from the car body? Especially the screws near the signal light.

jarance;654807 said:
There 2 black knob at the back of the black housing. It is used for adjusting the vertical aim and

horizontal aim. Turn this knob and the chrome parts will come off.
Thank you Sir!

Crymson;654814 said:
Jarance, what are the tools (screw drivers) needed to dismantle the headlights from the car body? Especially the screws near the signal light.

Yes is just only screw driver is enough for you to dismantle the headlights. I saw alot of the e36 headlight which the water goes inside of the headlight. This is because the rubber of the headlight is out of order or rubber melted. And alot of e36 having rubber melting is because of HID. The big problem is i have searching this rubber for so long time when i have e36, but at the end not able to buy this rubber.

Actually this headlight rubber material is same as cushion rubber. The cushion rubber is 1 inch thick, so what i gonna do is cut the cushion rubber into half then replace the headlight rubber then the problem solve.

Top Bottom