H&R Anti-Roll Bars

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Guzzler

Club Guest
Dear Sifus,My current set up on a 523i as follows:H&R Sports Spring with Stock shocks. Rides lower with improved road holding & cornering but room for improvement.Thinking of adding on H&R Front & Rear Anti-Roll Bars (ARB).Question, to improve comfort plus handing should I change back to original springs before adding on H&R ARBs or keep current set up andadd on the ARB.Please advise.I,m looking for improvement in ride comfort plus handling especially in corning.TQ.:cool:

ARB would have improvement on cornering but won't affect ride comfort.

H&R springs are on the firm side, good for handling but suffer a little on comfort if not mated to absorbers with matching bound and rebound rate....

Matching springs with the right absorbers is not that straightforward.. Some will go thru few combos to get the best compromise.

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps the more experienced members could share some combos. i.e. the shocks to use with H&R Sport springs ?

Now when I hit a bumpy or uneven road the shocks are very bouncy.

U cant have both world of comfort & handling. Its a trade off between two. Each very subjective to individual. H&R ARB is a must for light feel E60 body. E60 body feel less solid than E39. I've to change many things to improve and have the ball to drive at high speed.. ..

Am on KW V2, H&R ARB, Alloy strut bar & 19" rim with GY Assym & Conti CSC tyre to improve the handling which cost a deep hole in my pocket.

elixir;744431 said:
Many are on H&R spring with Bilstein B8 shocks.

Please name a good shop to buy Bilstein B shocks where they can calibrate the appropriate absorption rates accordingly. Cheers.

Guzzler;744581 said:
Please name a good shop to buy Bilstein B shocks where they can calibrate the appropriate absorption rates accordingly. Cheers.

Bilstein B8 is non adjustable. Must get PSS9 to do so. Auto Future at Damansara Utama is authorised distributor

Guzzler;744581 said:

Those Bilstein are quite stiff and you obviously will get the handling but lose comfort. If you don't mind bumpy ride on KL roads then Bilstein will be a good choice but if not, perhaps you can consider Koni Yellows or original M-Sport (Sachs)? I will most likely go with Koni soon.

aoch88;744810 said:
Those Bilstein are quite stiff and you obviously will get the handling but lose comfort. If you don't mind bumpy ride on KL roads then Bilstein will be a good choice but if not, perhaps you can consider Koni Yellows or original M-Sport (Sachs)? I will most likely go with Koni soon.

What springs are you using with the Bilstein B8?

Just to share my experience with my E30, was using Eibach springs mated to stiffer absorbers but the ride was a bit crashy. then I swapped out the 'more comfort' Eibach to the firmer APEX springs, the handling was better and actually better ride comfort... cos the spring rates matches well with the absorber bound and rebound rate...

fabianyee;744815 said:
What springs are you using with the Bilstein B8?

Just to share my experience with my E30, was using Eibach springs mated to stiffer absorbers but the ride was a bit crashy. then I swapped out the 'more comfort' Eibach to the firmer APEX springs, the handling was better and actually better ride comfort... cos the spring rates matches well with the absorber bound and rebound rate...

wow, Fabian, the apex springs still good with the car ?

pussy;744849 said:
wow, Fabian, the apex springs still good with the car ?

Yes, the APEX springs still holding up well.. The car set up is very neutral with slight oversteer (me no like understeer) but very predictable without the rear snapping away... That's the beauty of a lighter front end of the 4 cylinder E30..

@fabianyee, it was on original M-Sport springs. I prefer comfort rather than stiff performance setup because I drive slow these days, lol.

Is H & R ARB better than m-sport suspension? I m using Titan with m-sport spring, thinking of change to H&R ARB.

aoch88;744929 said:
@fabianyee, it was on original M-Sport springs. I prefer comfort rather than stiff performance setup because I drive slow these days, lol.

you getting old already....

polaris78;744939 said:
Is H & R ARB better than m-sport suspension? I m using Titan with m-sport spring, thinking of change to H&R ARB.

Boss, anti roll bar is a separate component from the absorber/spring. It is also known as the sway bar and it's found at the bottom of your car. This ARB can be replaced to after market makes like those from H&R.

aoch88;744942 said:
Boss, anti roll bar is a separate component from the absorber/spring. It is also known as the sway bar and it's found at the bottom of your car. This ARB can be replaced to after market makes like those from H&R.

Sorry, what i means is H&R arb with original arb as i know original spec is for daily comfort drive. For original arb, any different between m-sport and non-m sport?

polaris78;744948 said:
Sorry, what i means is H&R arb with original arb as i know original spec is for daily comfort drive. For original arb, any different between m-sport and non-m sport?

Most of the aftermarket upgrade gives you more performance and this literally means it is also stiffer (you lose comfort). Initially I wanted to change my ARB to H&R as well but after reading around, I guess it's best to stick with stock ARB's. Have a look at this one (quite funny), lol

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?22770-E60-H-amp-R-Anti-Roll-bar-adjustment&

I might be wrong about the ARB, I'm not sure since I have not changed it before (still running on stock M-Sports)

Stiffer ARB will not make the ride that much harder. Unlike stiffer springs. Go to BimmerPost and search. Got some very very detailed reviews on H&R ARB or other brands.

The stock ARB on a 3 series is 26.5mm front and 13mm rear. H&R is like 27mm front and 20mm rear. I guess the H&R will give you less understeer. Stock 325 M Sport still rolls a fair bit.

tIANcI;745016 said:
Stiffer ARB will not make the ride that much harder. Unlike stiffer springs. Go to BimmerPost and search. Got some very very detailed reviews on H&R ARB or other brands.

The stock ARB on a 3 series is 26.5mm front and 13mm rear. H&R is like 27mm front and 20mm rear. I guess the H&R will give you less understeer. Stock 325 M Sport still rolls a fair bit.

Actually it will make the ride much harder unless the road condition is even, beautiful and perfect :) The function of ARB is to force each side of the vehicle to lower/rise to similar heights. Imagine if you have a harder/stiffer ARB on KL roads which is bumpy, full of pot holes, wavy and uneven. This would definitely hurt the ride comfort. Remember there's either performance or comfort at all times as it's not possible to have both.

I have installed ARBs on my last few rides. I can hardly feel the difference at all in terms of ride harshness. Installed heavy ARBs that is available for the cars. Killed a lot of the body roll but felt hardly any difference to the ride. Maybe from no ARB to a stiff one perhaps.

You will feel much more with stiffer springs or lower profile tyres.

Top Bottom