getting a e39 soon

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ABCowner

Club Guest
Hi all,I'm re-registering myself on this forum. Was a non-active member some years ago but lost the details and couldn't log on again. Was doing research then but bought an Audi instead. Fast forward and today placed booking for a used 03 e39. Having had Audi for 6 years now, its a very well built without much problem despite all the myths. However after reading how much the e39ers pay for maintenance, I hope its not true. Mind you, I keep my Audi in tip-top original and its no where near the cost the e39ers are publishing.Makes me worry if this spare car will really be a spare car spending most of it time in workshop.

i meant to say that i hope that all the published cost of e39 maintenance is not true as I've been informed that the e39 is value for money today = good car, low maint, UDM driving pleasure.

Welcome to our forum. Perhaps you would later on want to join us as Official member.

Anyway, good to hear you have gotten yourself a 03 e39. Mind sharing with us a bit more about your e39 ( 520i, 525i or 530i ?) so that we could give you some pointers with regards to maintenance matters. Your e39 is a double vanos with a robust M54 engine. Depending on how the previous owner (s) has maintained this car, the thing to look out for is the cooling system (radiator, expansion tank, water hoses, water pump, thermostat). I would suggest that you send your e39 to an experienced BMW workshop and do a thorough diagnostic & mechanical checks.

Though e39 is what you called value for money, getting your e39 maintained to a satisfactory level is altogether a different story. Put it this way...... price of spare parts should be same with Audi.

Hi Herbert,
Its a 520 but as I have posted in e39 section, it has a frontal damage repair. Everything checked from authorised dealer, friends' workshops and I'm buying the car from a friend's dealership (used car off course). Full Bavaria service for everything and I can only get the history print-out if I'm the owner as I understand that's how it work now.
Thanks for the quick reply and being helpful . Appreciate it.

You can go to any Auto Bavaria workshops, give them the car registration number and they will print-out the service records for you. That was what I did when I purchased my car.

I was told they won't give anymore after receiving some lawyer letter. Now they'll give only to register owners unless you've got jalan with them.

No print-out is ok but at least go and have a look at the computer screen and record what major items replaced and last major service done.

I would like to say, if u looking for low maintenance car, avoid e39! Others model i am not sure but definitely not e39. At least for me, i think RM500 per month for maintenance is a bit high side. But what to do when we all are crazy about the roundel.

I supposed when I said low maint, I'm comparing with the later model like E60, E90 etc which are a lot more expensive. Today, e39 price is within my budget and I've alway like it better than e60 and lots of people are saying it drive better too. I felt the same and hence decided to get one. Hope it will be a good decision.

You are absolutely right about lower maintenance as compared to e60. BTW, why did you opt for 520i instead of 525i or 530i?

engine size goes up, maintenance goes up. I can live with 2.2 and don't need anything more.

ABCowner;608109 said:
engine size goes up, maintenance goes up. I can live with 2.2 and don't need anything more.

Other than roadtax, maintenance is the same for 2.2, 2.5 and 3.0. You will be even more surprised that fuel consumption for 2.2 is higher than 2.5 and 3.0.

are you sure that 530 maintainance is the same as the 2.2 engine? I always have the impression that the 3.0 is something that would need a few more ringgit to maintain.

ABCowner;608427 said:
are you sure that 530 maintainance is the same as the 2.2 engine? I always have the impression that the 3.0 is something that would need a few more ringgit to maintain.

most components are shared across the range, so price of parts are the same. some components do differ such as bigger brake disc on the 530i, but as a general rule overall, maintenance is about the same.

ABCowner;608427 said:

Haywire is driving a 530i so you have the answer. Guys being guys, the urge for the extra power is a never ending one. 2.2 may seems to be sufficient for you now and believe me, it won't last long.

bmw7833;606876 said:
I would like to say, if u looking for low maintenance car, avoid e39! Others model i am not sure but definitely not e39. At least for me, i think RM500 per month for maintenance is a bit high side. But what to do when we all are crazy about the roundel.

Absolutely agree with Bmw7833. Keeping the E39 in tip-top condition requires lots of patience, time and of course $$$. Yes, averaging RM 500-700 per month!

p/s: if you want to play, then you have to pay!

Top Bottom