Gearbox slow engagement to 4th (E36, 318i M43)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jeffreyewe

Founding Member
While driving today, my gearbox was hesitating to engage to 4th gear. It only engaged to 4th after reached 5000rpm. Wasn't flooring the throttle, just cruising. What could be the cause...?

it happened to my E36 as well if u r lucky enuf jes flush the gearbox oil if u r not maybe the solenoid got problemo or maybe its time to overhaul the whole gearbox dude..........yep ive overhauled my gearbox dude

My worse fears have surfaced, flushed the gearbox last week and this is hapenning..damn!

Bailey;270649 said:
it happened to my E36 as well if u r lucky enuf jes flush the gearbox oil if u r not maybe the solenoid got problemo or maybe its time to overhaul the whole gearbox dude..........yep ive overhauled my gearbox dude

How much is cost you?

my mech bought the overhaul kits & did evelithg cost me arnd RM3300 -3500 & now it runs smoothly

jeff standby yeah anyway i bet u surely ready for it wat after the cleaning session good luck latuk

Bailey;270699 said:
my mech bought the overhaul kits & did evelithg cost me arnd RM3300 -3500 & now it runs smoothly

jeff standby yeah anyway i bet u surely ready for it wat after the cleaning session good luck latuk

OMG....there goes the budget...haizzzz

Maybe not enough atf..

Jeff... did you fully flush the atf with the machine or just empty it, then fill up ?
if flushed, then what to say...
but just emptied then filled up, then you have mixed the old and new fuild..that why the hesitating...

pussy;270709 said:
Maybe not enough atf..

Jeff... did you fully flush the atf with the machine or just empty it, then fill up ?
if flushed, then what to say...
but just emptied then filled up, then you have mixed the old and new fuild..that why the hesitating...

Never thought do a half past six job therefore flushed the ATF with the machine.

now sakit kepala...aiyooo

then check the ATF level... it might be overfilled or less..

btw, what oil did you put in ? the 1Liter bmw atf ? if others, then really sakit kepala..

The gearbox will be as such if you not using original ATF fluid. After my first ATF service, I have the same problem and the problem resolved after ATF top up.. you need to run your car for 200km and recheck as after the flush it might have air gap in the gearbox.

pussy;270731 said:
then check the ATF level... it might be overfilled or less..

btw, what oil did you put in ? the 1Liter bmw atf ? if others, then really sakit kepala..

I'm using original BMW ATF and did a thorough check today. ATF level normal. The nightmare has begun, gerabox will be taken down for futher checkings...aiyooooo!

SilverACBimmer;270819 said:
The gearbox will be as such if you not using original ATF fluid. After my first ATF service, I have the same problem and the problem resolved after ATF top up.. you need to run your car for 200km and recheck as after the flush it might have air gap in the gearbox.

It's the first time it has happenned to my gearbox as I've diligently changed my ATF oil every 30,000KM.....headache!

Top Bottom