Gearbox Maintainance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

eddiedee

Club Guest
Dear guys,I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the great support that you guys have shown.I had went to a workshop which is they repair a lot of BMW. they told me that all of BMW automatic transmission gearbox need to do maintanance (change gear oil, gear box gasket and filter) every reach 20k km. just wanna get some opinion from you guys is that true ? appreciatedPlease do not hesitate to contact me at +60123042082 if I can be there of any help or you need further information.Mean time take good care there. Hope to catch and see you soon. Thank you.Best regards,Eddie Chan

20,000km is abit too soon for me, unless u have spare cash to burn then go for it, when i drain my ATF at 20,000km, its still clear colour (goldish colour), meaning its still relatively new

Some does it at 40k km, for me 50-60k depending on the feel, but agree with Mouse 20k km is way too soon

but found in owner manual, bmw auto transmission oil is design for lifetime. is it true??

No it's not true ... It's just BMW trying to make more money by selling more parts ... Change your gearbox oil every 40k - 50k km and yuou're good to go :top:

kee;594026 said:
but found in owner manual, bmw auto transmission oil is design for lifetime. is it true??

If it was meant to be in the gearbox for life, they wouldn't have put in a drain plug for you to drain & refill the gearbox....lol.

hm....misleading in the manual. so about how much to change the fluid including labour?

mizhan;457235 said:
make it a yearly habit la.. after you get your annual bonus ;)

BMW with shiftronic will cost u more...use the bonus money lah.

kee;594092 said:
hm....misleading in the manual. so about how much to change the fluid including labour?

A flush, drain & refill should cost you between RM600 - RM700. Remember to use only BMW-approved fluids. Using other brands might cause you problems in the long run even if the fluids are cheaper. Can't afford to save $$ on these little things ;)

rpmnut;594127 said:
A flush, drain & refill should cost you between RM600 - RM700. Remember to use only BMW-approved fluids. Using other brands might cause you problems in the long run even if the fluids are cheaper. Can't afford to save $$ on these little things ;)

DR meng of m speed should know the suitable fluids for BMW rite? :)

my car's GB has not changed any oil since day 1
2004 till now, mileage 80k km - 325i facelift CKD unit
will it be ok to change it still? won't damage anything right? should be a ZF unit?

jasonnn;595111 said:
my car's GB has not changed any oil since day 1
2004 till now, mileage 80k km - 325i facelift CKD unit
will it be ok to change it still? won't damage anything right? should be a ZF unit?

Ensure engine/gearbox is completely cool down before replacing auto-trans oil. Items to replace are ATF oil, gasket, ATF filter and please check items are 100% ORIGINAL. A word of caution here.....Do not allow workshop to use machine to flush your ATF.

shit....i think my gear box got problem:17:. when i slow down my car and autogear shifting from 2 to 1, i hear knocking sound and feel small impact of unknown object bang from behind. i did ask my mechanic, he said might few problem. 1) long shaft, 2) axle, 3) gear box.... if it is gear box problem...omg...i'm gonna kill myself.....CNY is coming soon...not plan to use too much for repairing.... anyone can advise?? TQ

herbert;595123 said:
Ensure engine/gearbox is completely cool down before replacing auto-trans oil. Items to replace are ATF oil, gasket, ATF filter and please check items are 100% ORIGINAL. A word of caution here.....Do not allow workshop to use machine to flush your ATF.

Any particular reasons on why the engine/gearbox has to completely cool down replacing the oil? Coz BMW engine's are pretty hot and it'll take awhile before it completely cools down.

Why are machines not advisable to be used for flushing the ATF? It may screw the internals of the gearbox?

Hi All

G/box ATF needs to be replace in our beautiful Malaysian Climate. What ever the manual tells u is BS. Like the others say do change the ATF once every 40K. Beware that if you don't take care of the tranny, be prepare to fork out 4-5k to fix it up. no joke.

Top Bottom