Gear Shift Jerk

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jsbmw

Club Guest
I've been to 2 workshops in and out, and they can't seems to solve the problem...When slowing down, and the gear tend to down shift roughly when, as it felt like, changing from 2nd to 1st gear. Smooth as silk when going fast, only when slowing down to around approx. 30 - 40 km/hr.The problem is especially apparent when slowing down while negotiating a corner.They have done setting and re-setting. They have done "matching". And they can only said that there is no problem with the gear box. But...the jerking still persist albeit less violently after the "matching" tweak.Any similar experience?

I had a similar problem just a few months back.
The gearbox would jerk from 3rd to 2nd gear when slowing down gently. But if I slammed on the brakes to slow, the gearbox was ok.

Had the gearbox checked using the OBD - no errors.
Had the fluid flushed and refilled with new ATF - still jerky.

A few weeks later, the car was diagnosed with a faulty torque converter. Had the converter replaced, and now the gearbox is silky smooth.

May I know how much is the cost of changing the torque converter? Thinking of doing mine..

I paid just under RM5k to have the converter replaced on my car. It's inclusive of labour and parts and takes 3-4 days to complete.

rpmnut;581023 said:
I paid just under RM5k to have the converter replaced on my car. It's inclusive of labour and parts and takes 3-4 days to complete.

rpmnut.....

what year is your car?

how often u change your ATF oil before encountering this problem?

rpmnut;581020 said:
I had a similar problem just a few months back.
The gearbox would jerk from 3rd to 2nd gear when slowing down gently. But if I slammed on the brakes to slow, the gearbox was ok.

Had the gearbox checked using the OBD - no errors.
Had the fluid flushed and refilled with new ATF - still jerky.

A few weeks later, the car was diagnosed with a faulty torque converter. Had the converter replaced, and now the gearbox is silky smooth.

Darn...so most likely I have a faulty torque converter as well?! How do they finally got to diagnose the fault then?

Nizar - my ride is a 2003 E39 525i, local AB car.
The ATF has been changed once at 60k km's and once again at 109k kms
The problem started just before the car hit the 100k km mileage.
I thought the ATF change at 109k km's would solve the jerking issue, but it didn't.

jsbmw..they crawled under the car and listened for odd noises from the gearbox casing. They heard a light tapping noise from where the converter sits. That was all the sign they needed to take the g/b out for an inspection.

BM World in Bandar Tun Razak. The guys there looks after my car. You can give them a try. Ask for Ah Wai.

rpmnut;581023 said:

Bro, is it a brand new torque converter? thanx for sharing

Problem still unsolved...gonna send the car to the workshop for full-day analysis tomororw :(

The mechanic said it's not the torque converter fault. Strange thing is, if you push down the accelerator very quickly, the RPM doesn't really moves up. But if you push down the accelerator slowly and smoothly, RPM goes all the way up!

Could it be due to the fuel filter / pump?

....have the car re-adapt at any BMW outlet ...dont spend unnecassary monies for this and that ....I had that "gear-slam" before and after my last service, had my complains put in and AB had it "fixed". Now I hv no more of such slam.

dzul, what did AB do?? Upgraded and reset the EGS and DME?
I did the same to mine and also did a gearbox oil and filter change at one go.. Smooth....

affan66;583817 said:
dzul, what did AB do?? Upgraded and reset the EGS and DME?
I did the same to mine and also did a gearbox oil and filter change at one go.. Smooth....

no idea if they did any upgrading but if they did, Im sure they would hv told me :biggrin: Though our manual says our gb oil is "long-life", considering our climate, what you did (gb oil and filter change) was a wise thing to do :top:

Problem solved! The mechanic updated the software for engine and that did the trick.

He did not update the idrive software though...is it worth updating as well? What are the improvements we can see in the latest version?

jsbmw;584182 said:
Problem solved! The mechanic updated the software for engine and that did the trick.

He did not update the idrive software though...is it worth updating as well? What are the improvements we can see in the latest version?

"...smoother "uninterrupted drive for sure" . . ..... basically "updating" the idrive is just like "rebooting" your pc to be reset at (factory) default. If it can be done, do it. :top:

Can be done, but will costs RM800! Was told that the update will have the idrive interface screen on different colours, and that the response time will be faster when selecting the functions. But RM800 for faster screen response...?!

if you already modded your i-drive, don't upgrade the CCC software. I upgraded mine and didn't see much difference.

Upgrading the DME/EGS and resetting the parameters for the EGS to learn your driving style is well worth the money. I did mine for RM350 all in. About 3 hours, depending on how many versions of upgrades you do. The CCC is the longest... but least impactful.

jsbmw;584553 said:
Can be done, but will costs RM800! Was told that the update will have the idrive interface screen on different colours, and that the response time will be faster when selecting the functions. But RM800 for faster screen response...?!

:top: take it from affan66 bro ..... RM800 is a bit too much for an idrive update ..... :)

Top Bottom