GB issue after oil cooler faulty - Go for 6k or 1 k fixed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kshapawi

Club Guest
My water cooler for GB broke and water mixed with my ATF. Do change the ATF but the GB error still come out with error gear1 and gear2 check....when leave car for 2 days without start when start GB look ok can change gear1, 2 and until 5 with slipping in gear 1 and 2 but still ok...when hot error come back and gear 1 and 2 cannot engage...most of the workshop recommend to rebuild GB...maybe they do not want to investigate and waste their time...but I found some info in couple of forum said maybe the silenoid 1 and 2 are the issue and need to replace...not sure whether to go for 6k fix or just 1k fix but not sure will resolve....if 1k fix not resolving...then it will be 6k + 1k...price will be more by 1k....if 1k fix resolved problems...then ..save 6k.... huhu...anybody have the same issue before please advice...

Salam,..

Parah jugak masalah ni..

Abg saya pun dah terkena masalah yang sama dulu, oil cooler bocor...Kalau coolant tak terlalul banyak dalam GB, masih boleh diselamatkan dengan cara flushing 2 atau 3 kali dengan minyak GB, tapi yang takutnya kalau air tsb dah masuk dalam TC (torque converter) - mcm 'roda bulat' dalam GB.

"flushing GB' la dulu kalau nak cuba cara yang mudah.. kalau tak boleh juga, maka 'overhaul GB

Its headache, but you have to get an assistance of good w/shop, then IF everything goes back to normal, just reroute the gb oil to slim oil cooler sandwich between the radiator fan.

You still have some minute water trapped in the GB. The water when mixed with the ATF will caused your solenoid to malfunction.

It is recommend that you do a complete flush for the GB and also the line to ATF cooler. Drain the GB and check for any water
contamination. If there are some sign of water, change the ATF and also the filter.

Remove all the solenoids and inspect it for any sign of dirt. There is also a fine mesh filter for the solenoids. Clean them if they are
dirty.

BTW, Changing the filter and cleaning the solenoid does not required the GB to be removed from the engine.

sorry to borrow your threat, E46 ATF cooling system and E39 ATF cooling system is different ? As i can see my E39 ATF cooler is not attach together with the radiator.

sewell;602040 said:
sorry to borrow your threat, E46 ATF cooling system and E39 ATF cooling system is different ? As i can see my E39 ATF cooler is not attach together with the radiator.

For E46, the ATF cooler is located at the bottom part of the radiator. BTW, what model/year is your E39?

ATFCooler.jpg

jarance;602034 said:
You still have some minute water trapped in the GB. The water when mixed with the ATF will caused your solenoid to malfunction.

It is recommend that you do a complete flush for the GB and also the line to ATF cooler. Drain the GB and check for any water
contamination. If there are some sign of water, change the ATF and also the filter.

Remove all the solenoids and inspect it for any sign of dirt. There is also a fine mesh filter for the solenoids. Clean them if they are
dirty.

BTW, Changing the filter and cleaning the solenoid does not required the GB to be removed from the engine.

Thanks Jarance for the advice...but most of the workshop don't want to do this...they will asked for overhaul..

Top Bottom