Funny Smell From The Exhaust. Is this a Prelude To More Headache?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yoke

Club Guest
Hi you all, any forummers who might experienced this before can enlighten me. Mine is a 318 2004 (N46 engine). Notice that there's a funny smell like burning smell coming out from the exhaust. Is this a sign of burn cylinder gasket? A few other issues also faced:1. When left idle (engine running) for about sometime (say 10-15 minute), driving off, you will see a lot of white smoke, but for a short while only, than back to normal. 2. There's an issue of depleting engine oil (ranging from 1 liter to 2 liter or more for every 10k km depending on long distance or short) 3. There's also a leak (could also be contributory factor to point 2) as per picture. (don't know how to explain it's one of the gasket at the back of the engine
engine.png
Is all this a prelude to a top or full overhaul. Anybody knows the estimate cost I'll be looking at. Thanks you all.

Question 2; a lot of reason for this...leaking gaskets, clogged oil separator + the hoses, vacuum pump oil seal leak.....

For question no.3, if from the crankcase then most probably its the flywheel oil seal where it usually last for 5-6 years before it fails. The oil seal is cheap but you need to take out the GB so its labour intensive.

White smoke is always associated with burned engine oil so need a through check up. May not need overhaul yet....or just top overhaul maybe and if you do so...please change the crankshaft pulse generator.....that thing will die w/o any sympton, already kena 2 months ago at Jln Kuching

zeedo;590586 said:
Question 2; a lot of reason for this...leaking gaskets, clogged oil separator + the hoses, vacuum pump oil seal leak.....

For question no.3, if from the crankcase then most probably its the flywheel oil seal where it usually last for 5-6 years before it fails. The oil seal is cheap but you need to take out the GB so its labour intensive.

White smoke is always associated with burned engine oil so need a through check up. May not need overhaul yet....or just top overhaul maybe and if you do so...please change the crankshaft pulse generator.....that thing will die w/o any sympton, already kena 2 months ago at Jln Kuching

Thanks bro. Had a chat with my Mech. For the leak, he'd already identify it (as per Answer 3 in your reply). However, he will proceed to check the rest (as per Answer 2 and the rest of 3) first before we move on to top or full overhaul as that step will be one costly affair and should be viewed at the end where all else failed according to him.

My piece of advice, once opened just change all the rubber gaskets, seals and plastic hoses and parts....this is well known must do maintenance on N42/N46 engine.
Other than that, its not really a headache to maintain.

Top Bottom