Funny smell from engine bay in high RPM

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BiMmEr78

Club Guest
Dear All Sifus,Im facing this issue and confirmed not due to the air-cond. Im getting this unpleasant similar like burning smell getting into cabin when driving on high RPM. This smell comes even the air cond is off. Even when i get down from car the engine bay also has this funny smell. I do not think this is related to the aircond.Thing that i had checked and done as below:1) Any leakage causing the oil burning - Nothing found and no leaking from any part of my engine2) Any host that might be leak - No leakage as wellPending to check1) Charcoal cannistor2) Any other .......Please let me know if anyone else have this issue and how did you manage to rectify it.Thanks in advance.

de-carbonizing.....it's also on my seven when i m 200km constant then stop at R&R..

So how to solve this bro ? Asking our good fren about it as we'll . The mafia

Ada aircon vent i dunno whats d name of it.. Tutup that thing. My car have similar smell as well. Had to take out the dashboard though.. Try that.. Did mine at Bluegreen, they should know what to do.. Many cases like that..

Hi bro...
Not sure same like mine e39...
There is a vent that can open or close depands blower selection...
This vent is motorised located in the firewall with air vents to the micro filter...
Mine was smelling if something from engine bay and diesel lorries or 2 stroke motobike smoke infront...
So yesterday during replacing the heater inlet & outlet pipe have to remove this 2 air vent...
My driver side vent the flap is not fully close but the left side close fully...
So this is the culprit that couse the exterior smell to enter the cabin...
So have to give a pull & push manually...
Lucky me after 3-5 times pull push the vent finally close fully...
So on the way there is no more outside smell enters the cabin...
may be not the same as yours...just sharing...:top:

But if the smell is entering from outside i would understand that situation. Regardless you are low speed or high speed you will experience this. But mine is different and might be related to what pussy had highlighted. Guess still need to do more research. Thanks for the feedback and see anymore others have similar experiance or not.

BiMmEr78;827311 said:
But if the smell is entering from outside i would understand that situation. Regardless you are low speed or high speed you will experience this. But mine is different and might be related to what pussy had highlighted. Guess still need to do more research. Thanks for the feedback and see anymore others have similar experiance or not.

Well it's ok bro...
One more mine the air cond duck that connect to fire wall and the micro filter is koyak oledy...
So b4 this with the vent is not closing fully can smell some thing from eng bay not only from outside of the car...
Since you smell some thing from the eng bay looks like may be this air cond duct koyak also...
But the smell frok the eng bay could be something is heated but not burning I quest...

LOL .... pussy tell me how to solve la not paranoid but of coz if there is solution to it need to solve it maa ...

Volvos525i - another way like you mentioned close all the possible vent that leading the unwanted air to cabin .... where you suggest to do it .... other than blue green coz this time i go workshop i must solve this issue .... :)

BiMmEr78;827434 said:
LOL .... pussy tell me how to solve la not paranoid but of coz if there is solution to it need to solve it maa ...

Volvos525i - another way like you mentioned close all the possible vent that leading the unwanted air to cabin .... where you suggest to do it .... other than blue green coz this time i go workshop i must solve this issue .... :)

Its from the eng bay it self...
the vent that joint to the firewall...mine koyak so eng bay smell & outside comes in...
there should not be any place that any smell can comes from the eng bay...
from the micro filter area to the firewall...

Ok will check out. In fact microfilter also brand new already. This is the beauty of BMW ... Ultimately will make you spend

BiMmEr78;827443 said:
Ok will check out. In fact microfilter also brand new already. This is the beauty of BMW ... Ultimately will make you spend

so does this happened after changing the micro filter?
Try to check all vent & air cond duct for possiblelities of leakage...

Yes changing the microfilter make no difference ... might need to check the vent and ducks throughly

BiMmEr78;827451 said:
Yes changing the microfilter make no difference ... might need to check the vent and ducks throughly

I mean this funny smell happened after changing new micro filter or b4...
also check for any grommet that seat on the firewall for any dislocated or not seated propperly...

BiMmEr78;827466 said:
Yes will be there if had a very fast run which is more than 3k RPM

Well there 2 issue here I quest...
1)the smell comes from where?
2)thru which area the smells come in the cabin?
so have to shot down from where does the smell emits from...
then only can shot down from where enter the cabin...

1)the smell comes from where? It also can be smell if wind down the window and of coz when open the hood as well.
2)thru which area the smells come in the cabin?It comes from the aircond vent but more to driver side. Passenger side also have but not as much as driver side.

BiMmEr78;827475 said:
1)the smell comes from where? It also can be smell if wind down the window and of coz when open the hood as well.
2)thru which area the smells come in the cabin?It comes from the aircond vent but more to driver side. Passenger side also have but not as much as driver side.

1st try to locate from where the smell comes from...
something thats emit from hot area...
the driver side vent is not fully close...
passenger side also show same prob the vent not fully close...

Top Bottom