Fuel spills/leaks on top of Fuel Sender Unit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

2h00pm

Club Guest
Hi all,Firstly, thanks a lot for all the contributors to that forum. I've been reading and following since I owned my very first car - a BWM E36 318i Manual Yr 1994 - nearly two years ago.After doing some visual inspection on my bimmer this week end, I came across some fuel spills on my fuel sender unit (rear left side). I managed to clean all that mess. Every time I fill the tank up the maximum level (approx 62 litres), I can smell gas around the car, and this has been so since a year. Three months earlier I managed to 'smell' around and been able to locate the source : on the rear left wheel ! But never know where it comes exactly as the smell disappears after a week of running the car (12-15 litres consumed). As from here, the car will never smell gas anymore until the next fill up.From the picture, can anyone of you suggest what steps to be taken?1. Do you think I only need to check both clamps, as they look they have never been changed since factory. They are still the BMW type.2. I changed both clamps with new ones with screws ?3. Should the fuel hose be changed too, which looked as if they have been fitted since the car left the plant!I planned next morning to inspect more. Just in case there is a hairline crack on the plastic seal.. If so do you think this epoxy would be ok? Or it can damage the plastic cover ..?I would like to clean with carb cleaner.Scuff a bit with sand paperUse the epoxy. (how much should i wait until next drive. I feel i need to use the bus :( )Thanks a lot for your ideas. I swear I am afraid of driving this car

Hi there, I had the same problem just changed the rubber gasket (item No.7). TC.

2.png

Looks like the hose and the clamp needs to be changed.

PS: Dont be smoking when you're fixing it hehe

yeh i had that same type of problem long time ago ..especially filling up fuel till the tip of the nozzle ...and what you see below your car is the overflow channel where excess fuel will be drained out ...

since some1 told me about not to fill up the tank till the tip ..i then stop doing so and the symptom went away ...

same time based on your pictures i think it's time for you to replace the hoses leading to the FP too ....it's kindda wet ...

Hi, thanks to your prompt replies.

I am still alive even its terrifying driving that car.

I left the car on Saturday afternoon. I cleaned all the mess since. And on Monday morning on top of the fuel level sender unit, there was still gas. I had not even start the car those two days. So I guess that the gas is finding its way out since the system is pressurized.

What I have been doing this Monday morning :
I have ordered the gasket - rubber seal ring part # 5. Since it messed up with gas so long, its better to have a new one.
I cleaned the unit again. To the the best of what my eyes could see, I did not find any cracks on the plastic nor under the electrical plug. The clamps are tight.
I moved clockwise the lock (black color) part #4, by hands and it moved!!! Using a flat screwdriver and a hammer, that lock moved one inch! So I guessed that it was not that tight, but it did not solve my problem as after work tonight I still see gas leakage but to a lesser amount this time.

What I will do:
I will keep the tank half or three quarter fill up to avoid overflow (as ICEMAN 13 pointed out). As I has always remarked for a year now, that the car always heavily smells gas outside for one whole week after having refuelling to the max level ()62 litres. So after a week of driving the level drop to 45 litres and no more smelling as such. The mechanics never willing to find out unti January I did some inspection and found that it smells on rear left wheel..

In the short term, I replaced the rubber seal ring by next week, asap I received that part I ordered.
Along with a pair of new screwed clamp, and have the fuel hoses cut a bit. If I managed to have new hoses, I changed that too.

In the medium term within the next few months, I ordered a new brand new unit ...

Months later, the fuel pump too. I had this car one year and a half, and no history about her :(

Hmmm, even after changing the item number 5 your having leaks. Did you tighthen up the item number 4 as that needs to be really tight. Do keep us updated on how you solved it. Thanks.

In fact I tighten #4 (the lock) from my picture.
#5 has been ordered.

I surely keep you posted. Thks.

@ ICEMAN 13
What is the difference dude?
E36 318i #16141182842
E36 325i #16141182842 (In Right Tank Pump has blue top, I guess)

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CA98&mospid=47492&btnr=16_0317&hg=16&fg=15
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB43&mospid=47498&btnr=16_0317&

The part # does not match:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-318-M3-325i-FUEL-PUMP-complete-OE-part-NEW-/280265397035

The hoses are worn out. just cut about half inch of the worn out hose and clamp it tight with new clamps.

Long term solution, change the hose but it is a hassle to remove it. You may need to lower the fuel tank to do it.

The car is heavily fuelled up. Stands at 58 litres or so now. The fuel hoses of the fuel pump appeared to have been changed in the past, along with the hose clamps.
Whereas the fuel hoses of the fuel level sender unit look as if they were fitted in since factory - original BMW-type clamp and the hoses branded BMW 8x13 and x18..
She got 260 000 kms on that unit!

On Saturday night, I turn the lock #4 clockwise an inch. Tonight it leaks about only 30 % of last time. I turned it again tonight, it turn another inch clockwise. Now I think its up to the maximum. 2" in all ! amazing.

I cleaned again and glued some Kleenex there. Tomorrow I check again. If any leak, Kleenex should show it ;)

Tighten the lock last night, and let the car sat whole night.
This morning the unit still leaking, but to a lesser amount.
Got to wait for my order (rubber seal ring) to come this week end.

Next step, is to change the rubber seal ring by next week.
Along to cut an inch or so of the soiled rubber hoses and a pair of new clamp.

Top Bottom