Freeplay on my steering

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

IDT

Club Guest
Hi All,Need some advise from Sifu here.... I just did alignment for my E34...but i'm still not satisfied with the result... because the steering got this freeplay problem... when i'm cruising on a straight road, i can feel that the car is going abit left/right even when i hold the steering still.any idea what is the problem and where can i fix it in Subang Jaya area. do i have to change the steering box? or can it be adjusted?thanks in advance...cheers!

Assuming your car is accident free and that your alignment is done correctly ... and they adjusted your steering wheel to be DEAD centre when the alignment was done

You probably need to check your tyres for signs of uneven wear and the condition of your control arm bushes. Bushes that are unevenly worn may also cause the steering to jitter at between 80 to 90kmh. Check your shocks too for the same reason.

Pls note also that our roads are surfaced inclined either to the left or right ( depending where the road's drainage is) - for rain water to run off...

i had the same for my e36.. it was the steering rack... at 1st, we tot is the steerign coupling.. then noticed there was a leakage at the rack...

changed.. repairs kits, changed rack housing(used) at 1k.

Thanks for the tips....

chinlai... can i DIY the steering column nut tightening?

330Ci.... I have done my bushing last year basically bushing and abs are still new.

jsen.... is steering box and steering rack same?

Posibility:

1. The tie rod universal joint/ball joint worn out. Need to replace the tie rod end
How to check:
Jack up the front tyre. Hold tyre at left and right and push it left and right. If there's any movement, conform the tie rod

2. The rubber bushing at the steering column karput/koyak (if there is any. E30 got but other model i'm not to sure). need to be replaced
How to check:
Push in you key so that the steering wheel are free. Rotate it left and right and see whether the upper part of the steering column move but the lower part didn't move. if this happened, it's karput

3. Worst scenario your steering rack housing (internal part) worn out. Need replacement.
Hoist up the car. Loosen out the cover right under the steering column where it joint the steering rack. Inside you can see another nut. Get somebody to steer the steering left and right and see if the nut going up and down. If this happened, most probably the housing where it hold the steering pinion bearing already worn out.

That's all i know. Hope it help.

Top Bottom