Foaming the chassis

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Any body has any idea what this foaming will do to an E30 cabrio
??? Only has A pillar and side sills. No B and C pillars....

Thanks.

Docazani

Originally posted by docazani@Feb 16 2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks.

Docazani
Dont do it dude!

Judging from the postings I've read, apparently you risk a horrific 'crumple zone challenged' accident if you foam it..... check out the tech data. Its pretty much PROVEN :yes:

Actually to think about it, older cars like my classic volvo is super hard, as time progresses cars are made softer and easier to crumple. There must be a reason for that.

Then again, if you believe that you only live once and when your time is up, your time us up then it doesn't really matter if you foam your car or not :D If you wanna do it, just do it! If not, then don't. No amount of persuasion would work if someone has already set his mind on it.

In all fairness, older cars did not have as much effort and attention paid to them in the way they crumple to achieve good safety ratings. This "trend" really started in the 90's meaning that foaming MAY not be such a detrimental impact on older designed cars. Just to note, although the E46 was launched ~1999 the design actually started in the mid 90's from what I read. So for E30/34/36/39 its even way before that.

Doesnt matter when it was design but when it was introduce to the market. The vehicle must comply to the regulations then. If you are well verse with the automotive industry, then you will know that design now will be introduce sometime earliest 2008.
I work with many automotive designers in the US & also Europe & yes including BMW M Division. We are working on many new safety related devices that will launch in 2008 ~ 2010. Can disclose it tho. Even airbags will be a new generation. Point of designers are to look ahead in the future of what will be the requirement. As for today, major concerns are passenger safety including pedestrians.

Originally posted by docazani@Feb 17 2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks.

Docazani
its strengthen already la...look at the beam at ur door sills.

Originally posted by docazani@Feb 17 2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks.

Docazani
why dun you try it.. i DIY the foaming myself..

then we can gauge it if the foaming does any justice to the cabrio..

willing to help, just dun ask me do it.. foam you buy yourself..

cheers. :D

latest findings

viewed a e39 half car.. right at the bottom sills was 'foamed' but thick and solid.. taken pictures.. will post it up soon.

hmmnn, now e39 got it, wonder other models ?

Originally posted by pussy@Feb 20 2006, 02:53 PM
latest findings

viewed a e39 half car.. right at the bottom sills was 'foamed' but thick and solid.. taken pictures.. will post it up soon.

Pictures??

Originally posted by pussy@Feb 20 2006, 02:53 PM
latest findings

Where are the pictures??? :cry:

Top Bottom