Extractors for the E60

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Guna

Club Guest
Hey folks, I was wondering if there's anyone here who is familiar with extractors for the E60 530 or if there's anyone here using them in their ride?I came across this local advert on Mudah.com advertising them and going for RM2,800.I emailed the guy and he claims that one can expect an approximate increase in HP of up to 6%.My questions are1) Do they make any difference in performance?2) Are there any side effects ie. showing errors on the Idrive and so on?3) What could the advantage or disadvantage be by replacing the stock header with these?Any idea guys?

i wouldn't trust any extractor that you can buy for 2k. its a pretty complicated thing to make, you have to take into account exhaust pulses and a whole other pile of stuff that i never even knew existed. i would buy and install it only, if they guy will refund my money when i take it to a dyno and it makes only 1 bhp more or so ... if you're lucky... 6% ? not a snowballs chance in hell. to make any sort of gains, you will need a remap of your ecu at least, no real big power gains from bolt on parts for n/a cars... unless you consider a supercharger bolt on....

i did the same on my car, paid 5k for hiop headers from germany and they didn't do squat. did a before and after run, and only 1 bhp diff. save your money dude.

In my experience, the factory headers have been fastidiously tuned by the engineers to give you, the consumer the best balance of up and torque. Not to mention best fuel economy. These headers are extensively bench tested in Bmw's labs.

By going to aftermarket systems, you will be altering the airflow through your engine. As your original engine's software was programmer to work with a factory fitted header, do you really think that this is the optimum thing to do?

Do yourself a favor by going for software tuning if you lust for power. Exhaust work only benefits you if the internals of your engine have been fettled with. Hope this helps.

When talking about extractors, its a very JDM concept la. Because most JDM comes with 4-1 cast iron config. After market extractor will give that little bit of flexibility. Making it a 4-2-1 config can improve top speed a little while a 4-1 is meant to improve pickup slightly. Its a trade off if you ask me because thru real experience, you can never gain both. Depending on the race track you pick, each header design has its own advantage but using the wrong header, u lose time. Just like the tilt angle of your spoiler, wheel camber degree or even tyre choice..

Most of the newer bimmer is on piped, non cast iron 4-2-1, or 2x3-1 config.. what other design you want, that you think is better than this?! This config will give u good torque, good top speed, good fuel efficiency. Want to change it to 4-1 or 6-1? :eek: You might gain pickup a little but u lose all the above!

Who made those aftermarket extractors you mentioned above? Are the welding point in the tubing being X-ray to ensure smoothness and no loose weld residue stuck internally which obstruct air flow? Doesn't matter how smooth and glitter the external felt, its the smoothness inside that's important.

The secret about building extractor is the length of each pipe from the head to the 'Y' joint must be of equal length. If you get to pick, pick one that fulfill this design requirement. :top:

astroboy;466419 said:
When talking about extractors, its a very JDM concept la. Because most JDM comes with 4-1 cast iron config. After market extractor will give that little bit of flexibility. Making it a 4-2-1 config can improve top speed a little while a 4-1 is meant to improve pickup slightly. Its a trade off if you ask me because thru real experience, you can never gain both. Depending on the race track you pick, each header design has its own advantage but using the wrong header, u lose time. Just like the tilt angle of your spoiler, wheel camber degree or even tyre choice..

I think u got that reverse... 4-2-1 give better low and mid range torque for better driveability while 4-1 is mainly for track use where the engine always at the upper RPM range

Thank you guys,once again this forum has proved it's worth...you saved me from ending up with some Ciplak brand header which could have left me bitching even more:eek: I was kinda expecting these coz had it been a great idea,I guess by now there would be so much talk here about it.

In the bike kingdom,a full exhaust system from the header to the end cans are usually the preferred choice but of course it has to be properly tuned...and so,since my car came with the Hammans on the back half,I was thinking this extractor might do it some good....guess I thought wrong.Astroboy,I understand what you meant about the different headers for different power range and the importance of each pipe being the right length and the internals being properly polished for the ultimate flow and so on.It's a no go for me.

Thanks guys,someday I must belanja teh tarik and a whopping good nasi lemak for all you guys...errr...nasi lemak there expensive ah?

the RHD BMW doesn't have much space for the extractor cos the steering coupling is in the way.. Not sure if this applies to those with electric power steering.

fabianyee;466496 said:
the RHD BMW doesn't have much space for the extractor cos the steering coupling is in the way.. Not sure if this applies to those with electric power steering.

Errr...what does RHD stand for please?

fabianyee;466496 said:

I figure its a pre-fabricated header that should fit like a glove but the intention is to ask the muffler shop to bend a new one, then can forget about it. Yes, the steering column and coupling is very close to the 2 catalytic box under the header. So there really is very little space, to bend it right..

I had a problem my exhaust too after the gymkhana event. Sounds like something loose under the car when i rev it beyond 3k rpm. The exhaust note also kinda toned down 'pussy' like. :)

Went to everco in Sunway, jack up the car and found out some of the heat shields running along the pipes have some mounting screws missing so they vibrate againts the body. Replace them all. Found also my front 2 side by side cats bocor already looks like its been scraping all the bumps. Replaced them with new stainless steel bullet type cats. Ask about the full exhaust system and they told me can make from after the extractor/header all the way to the backbox.

I ask them why dont they make the header too. So he showed me my 2 x 3-1 type header. Its really a work of art and though looks old still in good condition with the special bend and flex jacket. He just told not easy to replicate.
So i guess just leave it as it is.

Now my car roars like a lion again.:rock:

Guna;466487 said:
Thank you guys,once again this forum has proved it's worth...you saved me from ending up with some Ciplak brand header which could have left me bitching even more:eek: I was kinda expecting these coz had it been a great idea,I guess by now there would be so much talk here about it.

In the bike kingdom,a full exhaust system from the header to the end cans are usually the preferred choice but of course it has to be properly tuned...and so,since my car came with the Hammans on the back half,I was thinking this extractor might do it some good....guess I thought wrong.Astroboy,I understand what you meant about the different headers for different power range and the importance of each pipe being the right length and the internals being properly polished for the ultimate flow and so on.It's a no go for me.

Thanks guys,someday I must belanja teh tarik and a whopping good nasi lemak for all you guys...errr...nasi lemak there expensive ah?

so much have gain thru very little effort ...its about time you become a full pledge member bro ... :) the club need guys like you around .... so much feedback ...:wink:

dzuljazz2001;469660 said:
so much have gain thru very little effort ...its about time you become a full pledge member bro ... :) the club need guys like you around .... so much feedback ...:wink:

Thank you Dzul,
I'm humbled by your appreciation.I am considering it.Is it possible to do it online?

Guna;469680 said:
Thank you Dzul,
I'm humbled by your appreciation.I am considering it.Is it possible to do it online?

you can pay the registration online but still hve to download form, filled it up and faxed it to the committee. I will bring this matter up to the committee to make see the possibility for online registration. :top:

Teh tarik and nasi lemak is still cheap everywhere in M'sia .... compare to Macau hihihihii... :):):))

dzuljazz2001;469690 said:
you can pay the registration online but still hve to download form, filled it up and faxed it to the committee. I will bring this matter up to the committee to make see the possibility for online registration. :top:

Teh tarik and nasi lemak is still cheap everywhere in M'sia .... compare to Macau hihihihii... :):):))

I think it would be a good plan and it might just encourage more of us the join officially.Fill up online and maybe even have credit cards as mode of payment.

Top Bottom