Extra 35 HP for 200 bucks...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
This advertisement is on millions of WebPages that use the google ads.. the specific ad will always match the make or model of car you are looking for info on.. so you may see "Supercharge your BMW for $XX.XX" someone else will see "Supercharge your Jeep" etc..

But reality is some these are either electric fans .. but mostly are Surbo, Cyclone thingies.. they have product names like SpiralMax, TurboMax, AirTwister, Turbonator ect..

They do not work.. a small electric fan does not have the pushing power to force air into the combustion chamber.. and at higher RPM's will cause an impedance to airflow just find any small fan and block it with your hand.. it will simply shear the air and is no challenge to you to block it.. perhaps a 24" industrial exhaust fan has some power.. running 240v or more ..but a 2" 12V electric motor..

Cyclones, Subo's.. right up there with fuel line magnets.. waste of money... a) they block airflow B) they make air flow turbulent.. c) anything short of forced induction or impeding air flow you try in the intake tube will be ultimately undone by the design of the intake manifold. Turbulent air is less dense than straight flowing air therefore provides less potential energy for combustion compared to a properly engineered intake design.. the designs of cars intake systems are pretty complex.. to think you can just arbitrarily stick something into the intake tube and improve the design is simple wishful thinking.

I have even found these things laying sideways in people air intakes, if you want one to test drop by and I'll give you one of the ones we have removed from peoples cars (with the owners consent) .. they'll end up in the garbage where they belong soon anyway...

Peace,
Autochild

Basically, I don't see how it works?

For a such a small of money, it would be silly for BMW not
to research about this kind of technology and implement
it as a standard design for the air intake.

You need about 15 to 20 psi for force induction.

I think it would be better if you ask zoggee to zheng your car... :rofl:

:rolleyes: this is such a no brainer..35bhp for 200bucks??? u've gotta be kidding!!! power don't come cheap.....

whao...!!! RM200 for 35hp?????

Damn!!!!!!!

I spent more then 20K and not even more then 20horse .....*sigh*

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jan 8 2006, 11:33 PM
whao...!!! RM200 for 35hp?????

Damn!!!!!!!

I spent more then 20K and not even more then 20horse .....*sigh*
errr... maybe you bought donkeys instead of horses?? :dunno:

Improving Air Intake don't help much to bring that horses unless a complete tuning after for starting rich mixture to lean firing which is attained during ramming up. The reason that why BMW don't had their attention as they themselves are bonded to adhere to emmision control which deprives the NOX and SOX in fuel. That's the profounding factor where we have numerous co-BMW's like gruppe...alpina...bla..bla...bla...spending money to upgrade and attend to the need of power.

Talking about air intake...do not simply put in those air intake...without paying attention how to attain the extra HP.....swear that you are not going any where from there...a slight decrease perhaps...note:(without removing the O2 sensor, limitation are there for your car...remove them...get a good fuel over air ratio tuning....and burn your pocket filling your tank...n yea...if u really need the power)...do it at your own risk.....blame yourself in the end

Anyways, back to this thingy.

After visiting the website, I beleive this is the same as cyclone i.e. a vortex generator. I have heard mixed reviews on such stuff and I am still sceptical thill this day.

"They do not work.. a small electric fan does not have the pushing power to force air into the combustion chamber.. and at higher RPM's will cause an impedance to airflow just find any small fan and block it with your hand.. it will simply shear the air and is no challenge to you to block it.. perhaps a 24" industrial exhaust fan has some power.. running 240v or more ..but a 2" 12V electric motor..

Cyclones, Subo's.. right up there with fuel line magnets.. waste of money... a) they block airflow B) they make air flow turbulent.. c) anything short of forced induction or impeding air flow you try in the intake tube will be ultimately undone by the design of the intake manifold. Turbulent air is less dense than straight flowing air therefore provides less potential energy for combustion compared to a properly engineered intake design.. the designs of cars intake systems are pretty complex.. to think you can just arbitrarily stick something into the intake tube and improve the design is simple wishful thinking."

agree wit ur point! no comment!

Be VERY wary about these things...
I used to have a Cyclone in my E24 (installed by the previous owner)....

One fine, quiet Sunday morning on empty roads, I decided to let fly with the 3.5 underneath my right foot..
I floored it to the redline and there it stayed....

as i rapidly approached the huge intersection, the lights turned red! Thankfully I didn't panic.
Shoved it into Neutral and stomped on the brakes. All this time the engine is howling at full revs.
Pulled the car over and shut it down. Popped the hood and found the throttle was stuck at full open position.So I gave it a good tap with a screwdriver to dislodge it and was on my way. Went to the mechanic the next day and removed the damn thing....

Didn't feel any difference in power after removing it!!!!

hi..i know this is a very old topic, but anyone out there has an old e34 (mine is a m20b20) and at the air filter box inlet behind the headlights (lower air filter box part), there is actually a vortex generator. I have no idea why bmw has it and the only thing i can think off is it generates a centrifuge like flow that actually knocks large particles away and get them to fall to the bottom, increasing the life of the paper filter? I believe the engines after that no longer have this vortex generators?

pampam;78418 said:
Any truth to these claims or has brudders tried vortex generators?
Dave

No.
Not enough rpm, cfm, and psi.
And too much vortex, turbulence, and disturbance.
Period. :)

Top Bottom