Engine warmup

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mouse

Club Guest
Guys, according to E46 manual, BMW doest not recommend warming up the engine, move as soon as possible after u start your car to prevent engine damage. Its so contradicting from what we normally would do that we must warmup the engine for at least 5 minute in the morning after leaving it overnight. Do u guys move staright or warmup first? Any idea?

I'm still with old skool as my ride is old too. Will do this to new cars too. I'm so used to warming up, never fail. 2-3 mins on cold engine... ;)

Move off right away, but keep revs low for the first 10mins of driving. Because most BMWs do not come with oil temp gauges, remember that a "normal" water temp does not equal a warmed up engine oil temp; it takes longer.

Originally posted by Mouse@Apr 9 2006, 09:03 PM
Guys, according to E46 manual, BMW doest not recommend warming up the engine, move as soon as possible after u start your car to prevent engine damage. Its so contradicting from what we normally would do that we must warmup the engine for at least 5 minute in the morning after leaving it overnight. Do u guys move staright or warmup first? Any idea?
i dont see any harm warming up engine ! infact it's better! but may be
the bmw manufacturer just want to tell that their product better than others... :D
i myself didnt do that .... just start n wait a while then go.

i usually try to maintain the engine at 2k RPM for about 3 mins, then normal drive.....

To save petrol, start move on and stay slow. It'll will warm ur engine anyway. But dun rev to much la. Stay at low speed. 5 -10 mins should be fine after that.

That's what I'm doin with my ol' ride.

My opinion is our weather here is already warm, thus does not required engine warm up.

Further more, BMW is not like other make cars, I meant at low or high temp, the RPM stay the same when engine is idle.

Therefore, I start & go. (Like touch & go, hehe..) :D :D

Somemore.., nowadays...petrol not cheap ler... :getyourfactsright:

Originally posted by wan520i@Apr 9 2006, 11:23 AM
My opinion is our weather here is already warm, thus does not required engine warm up.

Further more, BMW is not like other make cars, I meant at low or high temp, the RPM stay the same when engine is idle.

Therefore, I start & go. (Like touch & go, hehe..) :D :D

Somemore.., nowadays...petrol not cheap ler... :getyourfactsright:
It is good to let the engine idle for a few seconds to let all the engine lubricant and oil pressure up before starting your journey. I would wait for 15 seconds.

I agee with start and go in our contry. Our weather is damn hot so there's no cold engine here.

Just my opinion, the menu suggested not to warm up the engine in stationary position could be the fact that in europe, most people keeps their car in a enclosed gaurage, they do not want to have CO built up in an enclosed space. WHat do you people think?

bro daan

u got a good point

on E90 manual

it does say the same

but i sitll let my engine warm up abit

I Normally let my engine runs for 5 - 10 minute then i go to work,I i drove for a long distance journey, i normally waited for another 5 min then i'll switch off my engine...

normally just let warm about 15-20 second before start moving but keep the rpm below 2500rpm after all in the small lorong how fas can you go....when reach the main road & the temp hv reach the middle can rev more la...BMW new engine no need warm up so long one...as long as the oil flow circulate throughtout the whole engine can move already la..imposisbile it take up to 5 minutes for the engine oil to reach all corner...just my 2 sen opinion.. :D

newer engine should be just start n go

but with a little extra care when revv n warming up

Its true right spend rm100K for a car yet have to wait for 5-10 min..hahahah....well will blast the car later on

Cheers

I still warm-up mine before go and cool down a bit b4 switch off.
Warm up is good bcoz the engine parts need the oil and the oil itself need certain tempature to lubricate the engine. The oil pressure also important for engine breathing.
The idle before switch off is also important to ensure the engine in stable condition and not to create unwanted friction by sudden engine cut.

Even F1 car engine also need to warmup before race, just give a thought... :)

I guess in Europe with their strict Enironmental Laws and policies, BMW may be trying to get the cat conv. up to operating temperature ASAP. The fastest way would be to start the engine and drive straight away. Prolonged idling, warm-ups would cause more unburnt hc's to exit the tailpipe.

Whatever the reason, I myself ALWAYS warm-up, it just makes sense to allow for proper thermal expansion of the engine parts and also allow the oil / water to get around the engine.

Originally posted by leakwoon@Apr 13 2006, 12:15 PM
newer engine should be just start n go

but with a little extra care when revv n warming up
newer engine need running-in b4 u can revv at any speed u like..

no matter whoever the mfg of the engine...the basic principle of engine is still the same....the engine needs oil and the oil need to be warm for lubrication..

Top Bottom