Engine shut down?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Russie

Club Guest
My car is a E36 318i (M43 engine). Was driving back home just now and was behind a really slow P. Wira. I overtook the Wira and took the left bend a bit aggressive. Suddenly, the oil pressure light came on, followed by the battery light and the engine died off. Then had no choice but to stop aside, turned off headlamps and restart the car. First crank, the engine cranked but couldn't start. Second crank, also the same. I think it was either the third or forth crank then only the engine could start. Thereafter, drove back home.The question is, what could have went wrong just now?1) ECU problem?2) Alternator problem?3) Battery problem?I have no idea, no time to check now, maybe will send in for a check-up soon together with oil change service. Anyone faced such situation before? Your advice please.

Did you check the dip stick to see your engine oil level?

Could also be a problem with the fuel pump but that's just a wild guess.

No fuel lah.. Check fuel filter and change it.. or fuel pump is about to go..

OR, maybe the car is trying to tell you that you should not bully slower car.. LOL

was your tank almost empty ?

g force on bend, so fuel surge.. so no pick up.. when you try cranking, it takes some time for the fuel to pick up again...

no harm

Dont think its the alternator nor the battery. If you have problems with either, doubt u will be able to complete your journey.

Had the same problem b4 and I use an auto. Engine died off while under hard acceleration. After awhile and a few cranks later, car started. Took it to my mechanic immediately and engine died again in front of his shop (luckily). Problem, faulty fuel pump. Got it fixed immediately at RM500 (Pump plus labor + 30 mins of my time). However, my oil pressure light did not turn on. Only engine fault light lit and I am using the same engine/car model (M43 318i). Hope this helps.

Russie;397299 said:
My car is a E36 318i (M43 engine). Was driving back home just now and was behind a really slow P. Wira. I overtook the Wira and took the left bend a bit aggressive. Suddenly, the oil pressure light came on, followed by the battery light and the engine died off. Then had no choice but to stop aside, turned off headlamps and restart the car.

First crank, the engine cranked but couldn't start. Second crank, also the same. I think it was either the third or forth crank then only the engine could start. Thereafter, drove back home.

The question is, what could have went wrong just now?
1) ECU problem?
2) Alternator problem?
3) Battery problem?

I have no idea, no time to check now, maybe will send in for a check-up soon together with oil change service. Anyone faced such situation before? Your advice please.

that must be funny embrassing, :34:
did the proton guy stop and watch you?, it could be bug ?????,
you better join to share the dirty secret, trust me :wink:

loafer;397324 said:
Did you check the dip stick to see your engine oil level?
Could also be a problem with the fuel pump but that's just a wild guess.

I have checked my engine oil level about 1-2 weeks ago, engine oil level is sufficient. My guess is on faulty fuel pump also.

jarance;397343 said:
No fuel lah.. Check fuel filter and change it.. or fuel pump is about to go..
OR, maybe the car is trying to tell you that you should not bully slower car.. LOL

When did I bully slower car? I think my car is slower than any Wira 1.5, be it auto or manual :) Fuel filter? Possible, dunno when was the last time fuel filter was changed. But higher chance would be on fuel pump. Remember when u fixed the fuel pump sender wire for me a couple of months ago? My fuel pump is still the original unit, already 12 years old with 130k+ km on it. Maybe it's about time...

pussy;397386 said:
was your tank almost empty ?
g force on bend, so fuel surge.. so no pick up.. when you try cranking, it takes some time for the fuel to pick up again...
no harm

Nope, my fuel tank was 1/2 full. G-force? Wow! sounds like driving a Skyline GTR with loads of Gs hehe. When I cranked it, there was sound... most likely fuel pump problem resulting in fuel surge.

RCBL;397505 said:
Dont think its the alternator nor the battery. If you have problems with either, doubt u will be able to complete your journey.

Had the same problem b4 and I use an auto. Engine died off while under hard acceleration. After awhile and a few cranks later, car started. Took it to my mechanic immediately and engine died again in front of his shop (luckily). Problem, faulty fuel pump. Got it fixed immediately at RM500 (Pump plus labor + 30 mins of my time). However, my oil pressure light did not turn on. Only engine fault light lit and I am using the same engine/car model (M43 318i). Hope this helps.

Hmm...sounds similar to yours but my engine fault light didnt come on, only oil pressure light followed by battery light. Yeah, it happened under hard acceleration as well coz I floored the gas pedal during the bend. Now worried that this would happen again if I were to drive to any workshop to change/ check fuel pump (assuming it is fuel pump problem)

JOKER;397553 said:
that must be funny embrassing, :34:
did the proton guy stop and watch you?, it could be bug ?????,
you better join to share the dirty secret, trust me :wink:

Racing fuel pump? No thanks, my car is not a racing car :) Nope the Wira driver didnt stop to look, coz he was too old and blur to know anything. Anyway, I acted very cool that time, as in I engaged left turn signal, slowed down and parked infront of a row of cars (remember? I was already in my housing area, so people would think I was merely parking my car along the roadside) hehe. Join your list for the dirty secret? Well, would love to...keep an eye on the list :)

Russie;397590 said:
(remember? I was already in my housing area, so people would think I was merely parking my car along the roadside) hehe. Join your list for the dirty secret? Well, would love to...keep an eye on the list :)

Kekekek... Bro Russie, such a great idea aar, pretending parked the car :top:
So, your problem fixed yet?

azam318;397594 said:
Kekekek... Bro Russie, such a great idea aar, pretending parked the car :top:
So, your problem fixed yet?

Hehe, biasa-lah, we have to act cool at times. Takkan mau let the Wira owner know my problem after "tahpau" him at the corner? :) Nope, haven't fixed the problem, ... wait a minute, is there any problem in the 1st place? I also dunno. I have not started my E36 after last nite's incident, I drove my SaGaBuRuK to work this morning.

Thought of organising a mini Setapak TT session meant for "slow rides", hehe, yeah I mean a TT meant for those who think their rides are "slow" only. If there's such a TT session, it would be very near to my home since I dont wanna take risk of getting stuck halfway to somewhere far though (assuming its my fuel pump problem).

Russie;397599 said:
Hehe, biasa-lah, we have to act cool at times. Takkan mau let the Wira owner know my problem after "tahpau" him at the corner? :) Nope, haven't fixed the problem, ... wait a minute, is there any problem in the 1st place? I also dunno. I have not started my E36 after last nite's incident, I drove my SaGaBuRuK to work this morning.

Thought of organising a mini Setapak TT session meant for "slow rides", hehe, yeah I mean a TT meant for those who think their rides are "slow" only. If there's such a TT session, it would be very near to my home since I dont wanna take risk of getting stuck halfway to somewhere far though (assuming its my fuel pump problem).

Bro, last time I had changed my fuel pump together with meter gauge due to my
own dumb, because of ignoring the fuel went to zero level but still keep on on ride.
After certain kilos, my engine just stop and silent like that, then can't start at all,
so decided to tow my car to the nearest workshop. After changed both stuffs,
then my car back to normal. Lesson learnt for me, do not be lazy to pull over to
refill the fuel at petrol station...he he he.... :wink:

azam318;397602 said:
Bro, last time I had changed my fuel pump together with meter gauge due to my own dumb,
because of ignoring the fuel went to zero level but still keep on on ride... he he he
After certain kilos, my engine just stop and silent like that, then can't start at all, so decided to tow my car to the nearest workshop. After changed both stuffs, then my car back to normal.
Lesson learnt for me, don not be lazy to pull over to refill the fuel
at petrol station...he he he.... :wink:

Really? Then did you keep your old fuel pump for standby purpose? Since the problem was no fuel and not a faulty fuel pump. Or you have "donated" the fuel pump to the workshop? Well, always try to pump petrol when it's left with 1/4 tank. Try to avoid having "close-to-empty" fuel in the tank as this is bad for the fuel pump (it will be pumping air instead of petrol, thus will cut short the lifespan of the fuel pump - I was told) :)

Cheers

Russie;397603 said:
Really? Then did you keep your old fuel pump for standby purpose? Since the problem was no fuel and not a faulty fuel pump. Or you have "donated" the fuel pump to the workshop? Well, always try to pump petrol when it's left with 1/4 tank. Try to avoid having "close-to-empty" fuel in the tank as this is bad for the fuel pump (it will be pumping air instead of petrol, thus will cut short the lifespan of the fuel pump - I was told) :)
Cheers

I'm in hurry at that time but finally late oso to attend the meeting. Just let my babe
left alone at the workshop and get the taxi to my office. I just left the fuel pump
tends to donate it to the mehanic... :wink:

Just some updates.

I started my car on Saturday morning, the car managed to start on 1st crank, no erratic idling or whatsoever. Then drove out around my place and the ride was smooth.

Then at night, I drove it to KLCC and back safely too, engine did not shut down along the journey.

Dunno what happened that nite but will monitor this closely.

Cheers~

Bro Russie, did you do the minor inspection with ur mechanic, yet?
The symptom of failure is there, just be aware on that, Bro.
Don't let ur car kena tow, later your kereta calar-calar during towing... :20:

azam318;397602 said:
Bro, last time I had changed my fuel pump together with meter gauge due to my
own dumb, because of ignoring the fuel went to zero level but still keep on on ride.
After certain kilos, my engine just stop and silent like that, then can't start at all,
so decided to tow my car to the nearest workshop. After changed both stuffs,
then my car back to normal. Lesson learnt for me, do not be lazy to pull over to
refill the fuel at petrol station...he he he.... :wink:

i had check the fuel tank, the petrol still at above the fuel pump suction level
with the fuel level near empty on the instrument, it happend
during hard cornering or up/down hill it temporaly suck air? at that fuel level..:34:

that why i install the upgraded racing fuel pump... :34:,
any interest?, can get it from me...

JOKER;398027 said:
i had check the fuel tank, the petrol still at above the fuel pump suction level
with the fuel level near empty on the instrument, it happend
during hard cornering or up/down hill it temporaly suck air? at that fuel level..:34:

that why i install the upgraded racing fuel pump... :34:,
any interest?, can get it from me...

I dont think this is a good idea unless your engine required more petrol than the pump output. Access petrol delivered by the pump will recirculated back to the tank by the pressure regulator.

Upgrade if your pump is about to kaput.

jarance;398085 said:
Russ, when was the last time you have change the fuel filter.

Never changed the fuel filter under my 2 years' ownership. Not sure about the previous owner then, but the car was sent to AB for maintenance by previous owner. Will check that out soon...

Top Bottom