Engine oil viscosity

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I've been using Wurth Triathlon 5W50 for my 14 year old bim. for the past 2 years...and frankly it was all fine....no anticipation towards oil loss as there wasn't any......super coasting above 120km/h.....and then come the mean magnatec 10w40.....hard cruising beyond 120km/h. What i mean to say is thicker oil is not supposedly preserve the lifelong of already old cars.
The first digit of the oil API number is indeed important as its meant to preserve the combustion chamber from premature fatigue and wear.....corresponding to the analysis that most of the wear comes during cold start. the idea of having low first API no. is to have a near to operation oil viscosity for protection during cold start-up. And this is improved and helped by VI improver.

As practised earlier...new cars..follow your car manufacturer's reccomendation...others keep on trying....all the best

Hi guys,

I dunno about the oil used in malaysia for bimmers but in singapore, i am using OWS (racing synthetic grade), a german oil brought in by the bimmer mechanics (non agent workshop) here. I am clocking about 5-8000k a month and i do my oil change once in 2 months, the oil actually makes the car feel great to drive in high temperatures and even after 2months of usage with high mileage. I do not know if this oil is available in malaysia.

To add on to my previous post, i was also told by my mechanics in singapore that since the 6 potters tappets are controlled by oil pressure, older engines may have louder tappet sounds so in order to reduce the noise of the tappet, can try using thicker oil.

Just changed my engine oil. This marks the second time I change my engine oil outside of AB.

First time non AB oil change (in between service interval) - workshop use thick Caltex full syn Havoline oil resulting in car having high FC and sluggish feeling. Workshop never advice properly

bro

dun u think 0W-30 is veri think for us?

i wont use the castrol RS oledi

cos too thick :(

now waiting for my next oil change interval ..........

wah leakwoon,

You so fast reply. I just posted only :lol:

For me is ok. The recommended oil for my car is BMW Long Life-01 anyways which is 5W-30.

The viscocity at running temperature should be the same as the syntium 0W-30 give and take some variances. Both are 30 grade engine oil. Also the car until recently has been serviced in AB to maintain warranty so it has been using 5W-30 oil. No problems so far.

I consistently get 500-550 km per full tank with mixed driving. I get a smoother drive and more responsive engine.

Only thing is that only 3 liters of engine oil was drained out. I get to see the whole process since this oil change was done outside of AB. Therefore I will adhere closely to oil change (every 10,000 km) and inspection interval.

So is up to you to make your own conclusion. I am just posting my experience and personal opinion

i just worri hor

if change to 0W-30

then hor ...when reach like 6-7k KM ....later got low engine oild warning again

:(

Originally posted by leakwoon@Jun 2 2006, 03:03 PM
i just worri hor

if change to 0W-30

then hor ...when reach like 6-7k KM ....later got low engine oild warning again

:(
Bro you got PM. :D

newer car 0/30 ok lah, i go on with 5/40 or 10/40 so far so good

Bro Leakwoon,

I just check with my car manual. On page 124 it says:

"Like fuel consumption, engine oil consumption depends on driving style and operating conditions."

There is even a procedure when to top up your oil. So if your engine oil warning lights up due to insufficient oil, it does not mean that your car has a catastrophic failure. Just buy a one liter bottle and top up.

Since your engine and mine differs it is best you refer to your manual.
BMW LongLife 01FE is the recommended oil for my N42 engine.

Didn't know that until I look at the manual. I always thought it is just BMW LongLife 01.

Originally posted by viewfinder@May 18 2006, 10:03 AM
About the grade, the manual says choose the grade of oil according to the operating temperature (there's a chart in the manual on this)... I take this means there's no one correct grade, but it depends on the ambient temperature.

Q8 semi-syn works fine for me and I'll stick to it.
I think engine age aside, the operating temperature is an important factor in choosing the grade.
I am using 15-40 syn for my E46 and semi syn for my E30

Until hell freezes over, I don't think we need 0W or 5W

i think 10-40 or 10-50 is very safe for E46, what do u guys think?

On page 124, it also shows the operating range of the recommended SAE 5W-30 or 5W-40 oils
to be from a low of -30C and for 10W, we are looking at -15C, so IMHO 10-40 should be fine.

Originally posted by scin@Jun 2 2006, 11:53 PM
On page 124, it also shows the operating range of the recommended SAE 5W-30 or 5W-40 oils
to be from a low of -30C and for 10W, we are looking at -15C, so IMHO 10-40 should be fine.
Hi Scin,

Your manual is different from mine. I don't have the temperature range for oil grades. Is your car imported from overseas?

Anyway like you said there is really no need to take into consideration the W factor since we don't have winter here. What is important is the viscocity index. 30, 40 or 50 grade oil - depending on your own personal preferences.

oki guys! great info n opinion

can we list down 10W-40 or 10W-50 lub?

My MIKO oil change interval is due in 1 month time or 2700km ...soon

anyone know where to buy AMSOIL engine oil (dun mistaken with AMOIL) coz its different

anyone try using motul oil?i know it is the best oil in the market now...just ask our previous moderator who just switch using motul....for those people who wanted performance gain..this is the oil to go for...i think graffika just tried this oil too...it is call 8100 5w40...n motul has BMW approved LL-01 n LL-04 too.

Yeah I heard from my car enthusiasts friends that motul is oil is good but never personally tried it yet. Spotted the bottles in motorsport division.

So Bro leakwoon you can try it and give us a review.

Top Bottom