Engine oil viscosity

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mouse

Club Guest
Guys, anyone know the correct oil viscosity for E46 318 CKD year 2000? The manual doesnt provide this info. Email and call AB glenmarie, both customer service advisor telling different grade, one saying its 10W-50, the other guy telling 15W-50. who to listen? any idea?

If we are talking about BMW LongLife 01 then it should be 5W-30. But AB themselves do not use this spec. I believe Shell Helix Ultra selling here have API rating of 15W-50 if not mistaken.

I m using Mobil Super S (Semi Synthetic) 10W40... which gives me more power than Mobil 1 (Fully Synthetic) 5W50..

i am using Q8 F1 10W-50, thinking of trying royal purple 10W-40 after this, see if i can feel any difference after that.

A 30cst or 40cst oil is good enough, don't need to go to the extend to use a 50cst oil.

Been using Q8 F1 10W50 for the past 1.5 years... Good for everyday use and track days... can last quite awhile too before feeling the degrading performance..

Originally posted by fabianyee@May 18 2006, 08:56 AM
Been using Q8 F1 10W50 for the past 1.5 years... Good for everyday use and track days... can last quite awhile too before feeling the degrading performance..
Fabian, I am planning to try out Q8 too. Is 10W50 suitable for M43 engine.

Originally posted by valkryie@May 18 2006, 01:58 AM
If we are talking about BMW LongLife 01 then it should be 5W-30. But AB themselves do not use this spec. I believe Shell Helix Ultra selling here have API rating of 15W-50 if not mistaken.
I thought BMW Longlife is 0W-30 and 5W-40.

I was informed that off-the-shelf Shell Helix synthetic as offered to the general public in Malaysia is 15W-50, whereas Shell supplies AB with Helix synthetic at 0W-30 viscosity which is not generally available off-the-shelf.

About the grade, the manual says choose the grade of oil according to the operating temperature (there's a chart in the manual on this)... I take this means there's no one correct grade, but it depends on the ambient temperature.

Q8 semi-syn works fine for me and I'll stick to it.

Originally posted by fabianyee@May 18 2006, 08:56 AM
bro, try royal purple then tell us the difference see which is better

Originally posted by wglee@May 17 2006, 10:33 PM
M1 Kayu Ara and AB use 0W-30. I think 5W-40 should be OK too.
I was wrong. It's actually 5W-30, not 0W-30. I found out today.

totally agreed with wglee, we must look at th 30,40 or 50. coz this will give u the protection and save fuel.
Try 30 u will sure say your car is more powderful and better FC.

if you wanna use xW-30, do a periodical oil check. Thinner oil tends to seep thru the valve seals and piston rings and get burned in the process..

aiyah hence just use 10w40 la.....try not to use thinner oil as it will seep pass the piston rings and valve seals like fabian said.....you spark plugs will be covered with burned oil and later the plugs would fail and your engine will misfire.....in complete combustion can occur.......in other words your engine will f@uck up.....our cars are not formula 1 engines. follow what the manufacturer reccomends.......in slightly older cars use 10w40 la.....

people are not going to think that you are a loser if you use thicker engine oil la... :p

Top Bottom