Engine growls louder aft changing fan clutch

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pam312

Club Guest
Hi all sifus......just today, i went to my regular mech to change a couple of things since it was almost time...first off.....my intention was to change the 2 belts, tensioner and pulleys.While at that, found that my fan clutch wasn't in good condition as the coolant temp was consistently reading about 105 degrees and the electric fan keep kicking in more than usualat the same time changed the water pump, two water hose (the ones under the intake manifold), thermostat and expansion tank.....since there was indications that these items needed to change, so I changed it before it really breaks down....all is good......coolant temp now is at 95 degrees and when i drive on d highway, d temp drops to about 85 degrees there abouts....engine felt lighter...i wonder why since there wasn't any mods donethe thing that i really felt strange was the engine growled abit louder than usual....it sounded abit like a high pressure air being sucked in...idling is very quiet, but the moment i rev the engine more, the growl gets louder......is it normal? i didn't had a chance to compare as under my care, this was the first time i changed the fan clutch

bimmerholic;777112 said:
test again tmr morning when engine is cold. You shouldn't hear it.

any particular reason or rationale to this?
so if the engine is cold, i shouldn't hear it....if d engine is hot, should i be hearing d same sound?

My experience with fan clutch....if it growls, then its a good sign..mine didnt make that strong growl before, my temp shot up during traffic jam and my aux fan kicked in..but after changing it, things were back to normal..

Do you mean "roars" louder or actually "growls" louder? Do you have any recording of the sound?
Your mechanic found the old fan clutch to have been loose or seized up when he replaced it?

The roaring is normal when the engine is hot and the clutch has locked the fan to your engine pulley. These fans really do "suck" :D but they also sap a good chunk of horsepower when they are operational. Hence the necessity for the clutch to disconnect the fan from your engine when not needed.

pam312;777116 said:
any particular reason or rationale to this?
so if the engine is cold, i shouldn't hear it....if d engine is hot, should i be hearing d same sound?

Bi-metallic strip on fan clutch shouldn't expand when cold thus disengaging clutch fan from spinning relative to rev of engine therefore no roar sound. It's the opposite when it's hot.

did the foreman gave you back your old fan clutch ...sometimes what they do is lock it up for running always without the Bi-metalic strip kicking in

ICEMAN 13;777595 said:
did the foreman gave you back your old fan clutch ...sometimes what they do is lock it up for running always without the Bi-metalic strip kicking in

i didn't take it back, but I did see him change since I was there personally....the mech is my fren.....hehehehe so sometimes I oso yamchar at his place

ICEMAN 13;777595 said:

That is bad! if really that's the case, high chance of clutch fan blow up at high rpms. read in other forums that a seized clutch fan blow up causing radiator damages, etc. Not to mention the constant engine load when running time.

Clutch fan shouldn't growl when engine is cool. Do what bro bimmerholic suggested, test when engine is cold. If it growls, it's not normal. When warming up engine you should hear it get louder when approaching operating temperature, then it will growl when revved.

Top Bottom