Engine Check Light came "ON"

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sagetan

Club Guest
Hi, Was driving my 2005 E90 pre LCI this morning to work when the CEL came "on".View attachment 30027I had already changed my valvetronics motor last week when the same CEL came "on".My mech than help me to do a reset and things was back to normal. However, today the same CEL came "on" again. Can any seniors or expert advice on what is the likely caused?Thanks in advance.

sagetan;820542 said:
Hi,

Was driving my 2005 E90 pre LCI this morning to work when the CEL came "on".

View attachment 30027

I had already changed my valvetronics motor last week when the same CEL came "on".
My mech than help me to do a reset and things was back to normal. However, today the same CEL came "on" again.

Can any seniors or expert advice on what is the likely caused?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm N46 engine calling for TLC again. Bro, did you change a new valvetronic motor or from kedai potong?

anaksarawak;820551 said:
Hmm N46 engine calling for TLC again. Bro, did you change a new valvetronic motor or from kedai potong?

Changed the new valvetronic motor at a Singapore workshop.

What are the other possible causes?

sagetan;820555 said:
Changed the new valvetronic motor at a Singapore workshop.

What are the other possible causes?

Hope you keep the old motor as I suspect its still okay. The other issue I heard of or read from E90 uk forum is due to low engine oil or its too old.

Also do check your wires to the valvetronic

....................from uk forum
my faults are cured found out that the engine ecu cables connections are bad So I changed them therefore the adaptation worked for me
happyanim.gif

also made an ecu update aswell an ecu reprogram to cancel the catalysator monitoring sensors now my car runs with no problems and without cat.

And many many thanks to elie335 for helping me to find that brilliant mechanic who cured my car lol

Attached Images
attachment.php

If for any instance the cam shafts or valvetronic motors are moved from position, the calibration is needed.
without doing this you risk damaging the engine internals

Before it was impossible to perform an adaptation eventhough the error was "valvetronic adaptation" it wont erase from memory and wont adapt it states that "fault is currently present" and "unable to store learning values to eeprom" so it was a cut in communication with the ecu when changed the cables performed the adaptation it learned the positions the tool was an original gt1. also took advantage to clean the small oil pipes that lubricates the cam and the vaccum pump with new gasket.
No workshop was able to properly diagnose even the dealer diagnosed a new ecu

anaksarawak;820559 said:
Hope you keep the old motor as I suspect its still okay. The other issue I heard of or read from E90 uk forum is due to low engine oil or its too old.

Also do check your wires to the valvetronic

....................from uk forum
my faults are cured found out that the engine ecu cables connections are bad So I changed them therefore the adaptation worked for me
happyanim.gif

also made an ecu update aswell an ecu reprogram to cancel the catalysator monitoring sensors now my car runs with no problems and without cat.

And many many thanks to elie335 for helping me to find that brilliant mechanic who cured my car lol

Attached Images
attachment.php

If for any instance the cam shafts or valvetronic motors are moved from position, the calibration is needed.
without doing this you risk damaging the engine internals

Before it was impossible to perform an adaptation eventhough the error was "valvetronic adaptation" it wont erase from memory and wont adapt it states that "fault is currently present" and "unable to store learning values to eeprom" so it was a cut in communication with the ecu when changed the cables performed the adaptation it learned the positions the tool was an original gt1. also took advantage to clean the small oil pipes that lubricates the cam and the vaccum pump with new gasket.
No workshop was able to properly diagnose even the dealer diagnosed a new ecu

Thanks for the info provided. Too bad i did not keep my old valvetronic motor.
Anyway, will be sending my car to another workshop to do a diagnose on my problem. But the way, how much it cost you to change the above cable?

Thanks.

sagetan;820563 said:
Thanks for the info provided. Too bad i did not keep my old valvetronic motor.
Anyway, will be sending my car to another workshop to do a diagnose on my problem. But the way, how much it cost you to change the above cable?

Thanks.

Chop shot will sell about RM100 if you know how to nego :)

sagetan;820594 said:
About 13-14 months old.

Are you using DIN88? Sometime poor quality batteries and lower class say DIN55 may caused such error too hence astroboy asked the age of your battery. Astroboy, whats your advice bro?

Did you register your battery? Our car is very sensitive with current fluctuations which can potentially trigger all kinds of false alarms, including ABS, airbag and what not.

DIN88 is not our OEM size while I can't determine what is our OEM size.. I recon it's DIN100. By the way, my Valvetronic motor alarm was triggered in 2 separate occasion, few days apart several months ago. I cleared the error and life continues.. till now no problem. My battery is at its 5+ years of service.

astroboy;820614 said:
Did you register your battery? Our car is very sensitive with current fluctuations which can potentially trigger all kinds of false alarms, including ABS, airbag and what not.

DIN88 is not our OEM size while I can't determine what is our OEM size.. I recon it's DIN100. By the way, my Valvetronic motor alarm was triggered in 2 separate occasion, few days apart several months ago. I cleared the error and life continues.. till now no problem. My battery is at its 5+ years of service.

Astroboy, what battery are you using that can last for 5+ years?

I changed my battery on the 7th year of service. It's the factory fitted original BMW battery.

Yes.. factory fitted original BMW battery. Our battery can last very long because it's in the boot which keeps it away from the engine heat.

It was the eccentric shaft sensor that is faulty which causes the CEL to come "on" as advised by the mech. Have it changed and now monitoring. Hope this will solve the problem.

Hi Everyone,

Pretty old topic here.

Have a e90 2007 320i CKD. 4 pot N46 engine.

Had valvetronic issues for the pass few months. Fault codes registered was:

2A6B: Valvetronic power limit servo
2A6F: Valvetronic, minimum lift exceeded

Went in and out of workshop many times. Finally had Valvetronic motor (twice, once oem part, 2nd time is original bmw part) and Eccentric shaft sensor replaced.

Mechanic did the adaptation/relearning for the valvetronic motor. Thought problem resolved, but came back again after a month. Exact same fault codes.

Anyone encountered them?

My mechanic said that it could be due to wiring, but did not elaborate what wiring. Could it be something like this?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=VA74&mospid=49347&btnr=12_1317&hg=12&fg=28

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E90/FUEL-Valvetronic_Motor_Replacing/FUEL-Valvetronic_Motor_Replacing.htm here mentioned among other things the valvetronic gasket

Top Bottom