E90 newbie

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alxy

Club Guest
Hi all,Just got my 2007 320i SE few weeks back and just wanna intro myself here. Been contributing previously in E46 and E60 threads, so now hope to do the same here. After those first few weeks, thought to share my observations about the car:
  • Definitely big power difference from previous 2001 E46 325i. Takes too much to really get going aggressively. Plus point: I don't drive like a maniac anymore :eek:
  • Engine note sounds different too. Even the wife would comment "is there something wrong with the engine?". Just more of getting used to it. This is when car is accelerating initially, it sounds coarser than the 6-pot 325i. But when it gets on the go, at cruising speeds it is quieter.
  • I miss the sound of the 6-potter!!! :20: But luckily I still have my 530 for that. :eek:
  • So the Ah Beng in me is frustrated, but the Ah Bill (as in Bill Gates - techie geek) is happy :eek:. Much more gadgets to play with in 320i. Most things seem to come from the E60 so I feel right at home.
  • Note that first 3 comments are NOT complaints, but as I said, observations. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I chose the 320i. It is to be used mainly for school runs, pasar malams, etc... so FC was the priority. In this regards, definitely :top::top::top:. 325i had 13.6l/100km. So far, 320i reads 11.3l/100km. Practically I am getting 450km before I refuel (with mileage to go at 100km) whereas for 325, I used to get only 330km (with same 100km to go). I checked, both fuel tanks are similar capacity.
  • At last I can play MP3s! 325 had just standard 6-CD changer. Also useful that there is an AUX jack. I connected a 4GB MP3 player there, so no want for songs. Pity there is no CD changer, but I don't miss it. In-dash CD/MP3 player is already the equivalent of a normal 6-CD changer, while the AUX offers you as much options as your pocket will allow you (4GB is enough for me :))
  • Was lucky that I found a car with full SE spec. Not deal breaker items, but still I like the fact that I have full electric memory seats, front PDC, rear sunshade, etc.... to play with :)
  • Steering feels quite heavy. Surprisingly, the 530 steering is so much lighter. So much so that after using the 320i for some time, when I switched back to 530, I almost "oversteered" and hit my gate!
  • MP3/CD player does not resume where song stopped after engine switched off for a long while. It just starts back at beginning of song. Is it so difficult to do this? Even RM50 MP3 players can resume back from where song was stopped. 530 also can resume where it left off, as with 325. Also annoys me that I can't see the minute/sec of the song playing time.
  • Also noticed that occasionally, gear will jerk when coming near standstill (i.e. from 2nd gear downshift to 1st gear). Read about this issue in other thread. Will change ATF at next service and see if that helps.

And now the help from the sifus needed!

1. Past 10 engine stops, I noticed that 4 times the engine fan would remain on even after car has shut off. I had to start back the car and off again, then only fan would switch off. But the first time it happened, I sort of let it go on. After about 10 minutes, it shut off by itself. Is this normal e.g. perhaps some cooling mechanism to prevent engine overheating even after engine shut off? But then why would it switch off after I start-stop car again?
2. Even when I select air-cond to go to face/body (i.e. main aircond vents) only, air still comes out of the vent at the top of the dashboard. This sometims causes the centre part of the windscreen to fog up. Is this normal? Both E46 325i and E60 530 didn't have this issue. When you select face/body, all other vents are shut off.
3. When you start the car, you can first press START (without stepping on the brake) to have all the warning lights come on first, and then step on brake and press START again. That will switch on the car. Or you can straight away press brake and press START. That starts the car immediately. Which is recommended way to do it? Same for switching off car. Can press STOP quickly twice or hold on to STOP until car switches off. Again, which is the recommended way? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks!

Yeeeh... another owner of 2007 CKD E90 320i assembled in Shah Alam.. good luck! We on the same boat.. :4:

1. I only experience this after driving it hard on "DS" mode. So I always disengage "DS" in the last km reaching destination, or only use "DS" when absolutely "necessary".. :4:

2. Same problem here since day 1. I think's like that wan.

3. Makes no difference. I tekan brake and press start to fire engine straight away. The press start without step brake is to go into "ON" mode, so electricity is supplied to all the 12v outlet. I do this when running my compressor to fill my basketball.. :4: .. also it goes into a mode where by you can reset the OBC warning like oil change, brake pad, etc..

Hey bro,

Always good to have people to share the joys (and pains!) of our bimmers. Definitely had a lot of pain near the end of ownership life of 325.... going to workshop almost every month.

So bro, when you get that fan problem, you just leave it to off by itself after some time? Or start-stop engine again? Think it could be a engine-overheating safety mechanism? In which case, best I leave it on rather than start-stop to turn it off?

There's a timer, if not mistaken 7min but in order for me to preserve my battery, I don't wait the entire 7min. Yes, I start and stop the engine to kill the fan, but not immediately la.. :4:

1. My fan cuts off immediately after shutting down, no matter how hot it gets or whether its D or DS mode.

2. Yup. Mine blows at the top also. Same.

3. Start up immediately first time by stepping on the brakes and pressing START. To stop just press STOP once. (Its not like windows where you have to double click...) I do it the most efficient way - press once.

alxy;734919 said:
And now the help from the sifus needed!

1. Past 10 engine stops, I noticed that 4 times the engine fan would remain on even after car has shut off. I had to start back the car and off again, then only fan would switch off. But the first time it happened, I sort of let it go on. After about 10 minutes, it shut off by itself. Is this normal e.g. perhaps some cooling mechanism to prevent engine overheating even after engine shut off? But then why would it switch off after I start-stop car again?
2. Even when I select air-cond to go to face/body (i.e. main aircond vents) only, air still comes out of the vent at the top of the dashboard. This sometims causes the centre part of the windscreen to fog up. Is this normal? Both E46 325i and E60 530 didn't have this issue. When you select face/body, all other vents are shut off.
3. When you start the car, you can first press START (without stepping on the brake) to have all the warning lights come on first, and then step on brake and press START again. That will switch on the car. Or you can straight away press brake and press START. That starts the car immediately. Which is recommended way to do it? Same for switching off car. Can press STOP quickly twice or hold on to STOP until car switches off. Again, which is the recommended way? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks!

Reason I asked about the STOP thing was because when I switched it off pressing once, the fan problem came. I thought it might be because I didn't give time for car to shutdown properly, so I used the 2-press STOP. Anyway, problem also came doing this so now I press once since it made no difference.

BTW, anyone else face the gearbox jerk (from 2nd gear to 1st)? Problem solved?

Nice write up.
E46 is a totally different animal.
Driver orientated dash, typical BMW of those eras. Sporty curves and stylimg.. not to mention your IL6 sweet note.
I had a 318CI and was the longest ownership I had for any other cars - 4.5 years.
When I came back from UK, dad bought mom a family E90
First impression wasnt great, lack the aggressiveness of the E46- But the styling has grown on me few notches over the years.
The dash layout was slightly off putting at first but still ergonomic, wont be completely out of touch if you are coming from the Roundel family.
Material used was slightly better but wear off quite fast. especially the paint on the plastics... it chipped off easily!
Ours 2007 Model but not SE spec.
Would love to have the shades but now I got a set from Cadmus, looks great. Thanks Andy.

for the fan, Ours never had any problem whether you are in D/S mode or not, just cut off completely when you stopped.

Overall, I have high praise for the little E90, Yes, the diesel is amazing, the IL6 is sweet but for alrounder potting for school run and markets. the E90 is classy enough and does the job well above par.

alxy;735181 said:
BTW, anyone else face the gearbox jerk (from 2nd gear to 1st)? Problem solved?

I get that and i live with it. Its the characteristic of the car.

3er;735366 said:
I get that and i live with it. Its the characteristic of the car.

Good to know. Makes me feel relieved a bit at least. When getting a new baby, most important to know what is normal and what is BMW (Banyak Masuk Workshop :)). I can live with little quirks here and there as long as it doesn't affect my pocket. All part of the bimmer experience :D

Still, will see Ah Meng (Mspeed) next service and see what he says. Due for ATF change then anyway.

My 325 will start when I press the START button first and then step on brake next. Is the 320 not the same?

shouldnt it be the other way round? brake then push button?
My F10 and E90 the same leh

ck318ci;735448 said:
shouldnt it be the other way round? brake then push button?
My F10 and E90 the same leh

It can work in reverse I mean ... Hehehe

tIANcI;735449 said:
It can work in reverse I mean ... Hehehe

Do you mean you can press START, let it go, step brake and it will start?

ck318ci;735356 said:
Nice write up.
E46 is a totally different animal.
Driver orientated dash, typical BMW of those eras. Sporty curves and stylimg.. not to mention your IL6 sweet note.
I had a 318CI and was the longest ownership I had for any other cars - 4.5 years.
When I came back from UK, dad bought mom a family E90
First impression wasnt great, lack the aggressiveness of the E46- But the styling has grown on me few notches over the years.
The dash layout was slightly off putting at first but still ergonomic, wont be completely out of touch if you are coming from the Roundel family.
Material used was slightly better but wear off quite fast. especially the paint on the plastics... it chipped off easily!
Ours 2007 Model but not SE spec.
Would love to have the shades but now I got a set from Cadmus, looks great. Thanks Andy.

for the fan, Ours never had any problem whether you are in D/S mode or not, just cut off completely when you stopped.

Overall, I have high praise for the little E90, Yes, the diesel is amazing, the IL6 is sweet but for alrounder potting for school run and markets. the E90 is classy enough and does the job well above par.

Ya bro, know what you mean. 2 different design schools of thought. If I were to sum it up, it would be simply: E46=curves..... E90=edges

Top Bottom