E90 Auto Trunk

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Futin

Club Guest
Found this mod in Bmw Singapore forum and decided to do it up in Singapore for my E90.Sharing it with all here...[video=youtube;UZwM3vhAF7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwM3vhAF7g[/video]

It's acceptable..wonder where to do in Msia?

Anyway where u did yours in SG?

I stay in Jb, Skudai, hence drive over to Sg.

Think they provide shipping ....

I thought the boot can auto pop up using remote across all the BMW models?

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk HD

Kurushio89;838635 said:
I thought the boot can auto pop up using remote across all the BMW models?

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk HD

This is one area BMW failed. For a reason..

Compare to conventional boot lid design, it's spring loaded with a a simple hinge, lack refinement and consume valuable boot space due to the huge hinge handle and the spring compartment. The moment the lid is release, the spring will lift the lid. Only E60 has it. The rest are just the hinge and 2 dampers to keep the lid up after we open it.

Pros and cons..

The Spring design will sacrifice boot space compare to normal BMW lid with dampers/lifters.
E60: Spring loaded
bmw5new2.jpg

F10 too:
284449d1265690552-2009-mercedes-benz-e350-cdi-avantgarde-w212-vs-2010-bmw-530d-f10-535-boot.jpg

Compare to E Class.. :4:
284450d1265690552-2009-mercedes-benz-e350-cdi-avantgarde-w212-vs-2010-bmw-530d-f10-350-boot.jpg

E39: Dampers lifters, look at how tinny the hinge is and zero boot space consumed.
$(KGrHqN,!p0E9eEB!cl5BPl(2pmDYg~~60_12.JPG

The spring loaded one also hit my jaw when I stand too close to the lid when it pops up... it's painful! and very difficult to close coz you will be fighting with the springs, imaging when it rains and lid get slippery and getting your 70 years old mother to fight the spring, compare to the lifter type, you just drop them and it'l shut.

The F30 GT feature power boot d.. F.Forward to 5:06
[video=youtube;eVo9QjHEXDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVo9QjHEXDs[/video]

Great Info. Also realised that 1 series cars also dont have this function. only 5 series have. :(

astroboy;838663 said:
This is one area BMW failed. For a reason..

Compare to conventional boot lid design, it's spring loaded with a a simple hinge, lack refinement and consume valuable boot space due to the huge hinge handle and the spring compartment. The moment the lid is release, the spring will lift the lid. Only E60 has it. The rest are just the hinge and 2 dampers to keep the lid up after we open it.

Pros and cons..

The Spring design will sacrifice boot space compare to normal BMW lid with dampers/lifters.
E60: Spring loaded
bmw5new2.jpg

F10 too:
284449d1265690552-2009-mercedes-benz-e350-cdi-avantgarde-w212-vs-2010-bmw-530d-f10-535-boot.jpg

Compare to E Class.. :4:
284450d1265690552-2009-mercedes-benz-e350-cdi-avantgarde-w212-vs-2010-bmw-530d-f10-350-boot.jpg

E39: Dampers lifters, look at how tinny the hinge is and zero boot space consumed.
$(KGrHqN,!p0E9eEB!cl5BPl(2pmDYg~~60_12.JPG

The spring loaded one also hit my jaw when I stand too close to the lid when it pops up... it's painful! and very difficult to close coz you will be fighting with the springs, imaging when it rains and lid get slippery and getting your 70 years old mother to fight the spring, compare to the lifter type, you just drop them and it'l shut.

The F30 GT feature power boot d.. F.Forward to 5:06
[video=youtube;eVo9QjHEXDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVo9QjHEXDs[/video]

Bro,

Can it be done on E92? Pm me the shop contact

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

As bro astroboy says, it's a boon and a curse. For my E60 530, the dampers are spoilt already, so it opens up like it wants to hit your jaw or something. And in doing so, will also slam hard against the metal stops, which makes it jerk a bit before stopping, so makes it look cheap. I was quoted quite a fair bit and time to fix it up, which I decided not worth the hassle for something non-essential. So I just stuck 2 thick sponge-like materials to absorb the impact on the metal stops :)

Opening is the novelty bit obviously. It does look cool when you open up entire boot with just a press of a button. But closing is the downside. I would have preferred it like my E90 or old E46, where just release boot even from 2 inches can close already. For E60 have to slam hard a bit.

Just wondering, video shows opening only. Is the closing still the same? i.e. can just let go and close?

Top Bottom