E60 UK diesel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

abka

Club Guest
Hello everybody !!i'm new to this forum and like some suggestion/advice on these model.i'm a student in the UK and plan to get myself a 2nd hand BMW as a reward when i completed my study. I want to get any of the diesel variant (520d, 520d MSport or 525dSE) but not really sure about the diesel maintenance in malaysia (as well as spare part!). Is there any major realibility issue on the diesel car as the malaysian diesel is still below the euro4 standard available here. Any effect on the engine as the car now has to run on lower quality diesel? Can somebody help me on these issue? thanksabka

you may want to check out whether the UK version has a particulate filter... i got the 2009 520d, as the fuel quality is still below Euro4M, the malaysian versions had the filter removed to prevent clogging.

garycwh;532296 said:
you may want to check out whether the UK version has a particulate filter... i got the 2009 520d, as the fuel quality is still below Euro4M, the malaysian versions had the filter removed to prevent clogging.

I am getting a 535d myself. It will arrive sometime in October. Any advice on where can I do all these modifications?

I didnt have to do the mods myself, bought the CBU through Quill... all done up. If you bring in through recond, probably good to check whether these have been removed.

abka,

Do get at least a 525d or better still 530d but certainly not a 520d.

garycwh;532296 said:

with the particulate filter removed it can cause problems in the long run...might need premature overhaul of the engine..

BMW9700;553469 said:
with the particulate filter removed it can cause problems in the long run...might need premature overhaul of the engine..

Hi BMW 9700,

In that case then, just use the car as it is. My 535d only got 49k km. Really low millage for a 4 year car (2006 Sept).

I drove it from Penzance to Manchester last week. I can tell you one thing, you cannot feel the engine making any effort to reach 170km/h @ 2000+ rpm.

....so much to talk abt the diesel ... :) .... since we are on euro 2 and most probably on euro 4 by Sept 2011, for me diesel is still a good buy ...for torque, speed and consumption. euro 1 and 2 has little difference and proper and regular care will take care of the engine ....
:listen: bro abka, since you are new, maybe a self-intro at the newbies will be appropriate to do at this point :top:

bro initialM ... injectors once kaput, needs to be replaced but highly unlikely it can get easily damaged. replacement is costly at around RM2K per injector and can be replace individually.

problems with diesel engines is the thick black sludge that will accumulate at the air intake manifold which might cause problems to the engine. One recommended solution is to take out the swirl-flap but I believe the best is to hv your car go in every 40K and hv it serviced and do the oil change at every 10k and not the 15K as recommended.....

to all interested in the Beast, maybe we I can share more during any of the TT held weekly and monthly as I hv gone thru a lot with my own....:top: SHaring is Caring......cheers.:love:

kudeen;553507 said:
Hi BMW 9700,

In that case then, just use the car as it is. My 535d only got 49k km. Really low millage for a 4 year car (2006 Sept).

I drove it from Penzance to Manchester last week. I can tell you one thing, you cannot feel the engine making any effort to reach 170km/h @ 2000+ rpm.

Hi bro Kudeen, where are you in UK? I'm in Bristol myself.

How much are you expecting to pay the import tax for the 535d?

The reason I'm asking is recently there's been a massive hike in the import tax quotations, a friend who brought back a Merc C-Class C240 (2.6L) year 2003/2004 had to pay RM42k in taxes two weeks ago. Thats the final figure he got after all the appeals. Normally such car and age could expect to pay around RM30k, possibly RM25k only.

Before this there are guidelines to prices, but tax officers can lower or higher the tax valuations based on the condition of the car. Whether have rust, dents, tired interior would have lowered the tax valuations. But now there are fixed prices for it and the cheapest band is only '5 years and above' whereas the old system allows cars above 5 years old to be lowered by every 10% for every year that passes by.

Example:
Old system has '5 years old' car which priced the tax at RM50k, 6 years old would be 10% less to be RM45k, and 7 years old would be 10% less than that which is RM40.5k and so on. Now with the '5 years and above' system its fixed at RM50k even for a 10 years old car.

I have a E39 530i Sport myself, and had arrived in Port Klang two weeks ago. Will have to stay there until I go back after raya. Was expecting to pay around the RM30-35k mark but with this new developent I'm kinda scared now.

From the official fixed price customs docket, a 4 year old 535d is priced at RM45,977 CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight), and from the last time I contacted customs 2.5 to 3.0 engine the tax stands at 192%++.

This brings the import tax on your car to be RM88,275 before any appeals.

I'm no customs officer, just guessing based on the info I have with me. I might be wrong.

Damn the taxes. :stupid:

Custom Price Docket

In case anybody asks, this is the custom table that I am referring to. In force since 1 June 2010.

Two part attached due to size. If you are only referring to BMWs the first part is sufficient.

Tax bands:

2000-2499cc : Around 171%

2500-2999cc : Around 192%

herbert;553423 said:
abka,

Do get at least a 525d or better still 530d but certainly not a 520d.

I agree..just tested the 520d...no kick lah, no syok.

docrayboy;554898 said:
I agree..just tested the 520d...no kick lah, no syok.

Hi Hywire,

Now back in Malaysia.

You are right on bro... I have just met-up with the custom officer in Kelana Jaya. He told me the same thing. He added that if you were to bring the car into the free-tax island (i.e. Langkawi, Tioman and Labuan) and put it there for a while, then pay tax on the present value of the car; The tax to be paid would be less than that for direct shipment.

They also said if you have a letter from the ministry of finance, the letter will tell how much discount you can get for the tax. It could be as high as 33%.

kudeen;554910 said:
Hi Hywire,

Now back in Malaysia.

You are right on bro... I have just met-up with the custom officer in Kelana Jaya. He told me the same thing. He added that if you were to bring the car into the free-tax island (i.e. Langkawi, Tioman and Labuan) and put it there for a while, then pay tax on the present value of the car; The tax to be paid would be less than that for direct shipment.

They also said if you have a letter from the ministry of finance, the letter will tell how much discount you can get for the tax. It could be as high as 33%.

No way I'm leaving my car on some island alone. Cant stand to be separated from it!

I'll just pay whatever thats due.

haywire;554912 said:
No way I'm leaving my car on some island alone. Cant stand to be separated from it!

I'll just pay whatever thats due.

You are right. The import taxes is pretty high now I think. I was expecting to pay around 15-16k for my yr 2000 320i. But then the exact amount is around 19.3k. Even my agent have no idea about this,he said that a lot of people complained about the tax price.

A friend of mine brought back '02 C200k Elegance in early last year and she paid 24k to customs and another friend brought back same age C200k Elegance this year and he was expecting to pay around 26-27k taxes. :stupid:

The tax scare the hell out of everybody i guess. So, any has got experience in the tax cost for e60 525D?

haywire;554873 said:
In case anybody asks, this is the custom table that I am referring to. In force since 1 June 2010.

Two part attached due to size. If you are only referring to BMWs the first part is sufficient.

Tax bands:

2000-2499cc : Around 171%

2500-2999cc : Around 192%

Cant find the right model in the list 525D should be 2497cc (in the old 2006 schedule). and fazrul, pls share your tax detail maa...
cheers,
abka

hi all,

finally got myself a 2005 525d m sport. Took the car on a trip to scotland last month and it was wonderful. the only regret was the passenger occupancy sensor broke down due to my wife kneeing on the seat. Don't bother to replace the sensor, just got a bypass sensor instead. coming back to malaysia next year, and hopefully the euro4 diesel will be on sale by that time.

i heard so much about great torque of diesel engine which is true at initial pick up. i always wonder as great torque without high rpm cannot translate into high bhp,which would mean lose out in power during high speed. ( though i have never driven a BMW diesel engine)

bhp = torque x rpm / 5252

i got this review on E60 530d which confirm my doubt.

" ............And puh-lease can we stop trying to pretend that that the superior torque offered by a diesel engine in any way compensates for the lack of brake horsepower.

When you accelerate in a modern diesel there’s a satisfying surge, for sure, but it’s over in a moment. And there’s no power to carry the momentum. Time and time again I put my foot down in that Beemer, pulled out to overtake the Rover, and then when I was on the wrong side of the road simply ran out of oomph.

A petrol engine will spin happily, in some cases to 8,000 or 9,000 revs per minute. The BMW diesel is revvier than most but it’s all out of ideas at just 5,000."

Full article at

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article824051.ece

Top Bottom