E60 Battery

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Shaun88

Club Guest
Hi All Sifus,Can anyone advice me where to get the BMW original battery and what is the price. Also any compatible battery beside the original?Appreciate your advise. Thank you

At Sapura:

Original E60 battery part no. 61 21 6 924 023 is RM1936.73, and another RM50 or so for installation/reset.

Which is what I paid a year ago.

I just changed mine yesterday - not original

But still need to reset and reprogram - Total about RM800

61 21 6 924 023 is an AGM battery with 90AH rating.

AGM stand got "Absorptive Glass Mat". These mats or separators are very thin fiber Boron-Silicate glass mats between the lead plates of the battery. AGM batteries are excellent for starting and deep cycle applications. AGM batteries are also known as "starved electrolyte" and will "not leak" if broken or split open.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/61216924023/

Thank you j0shua and cafee!

What is the reliable brand for non-original?
Cafee, by the way which are the brand that you installed?

j0shua;452994 said:
At Sapura:

Original E60 battery part no. 61 21 6 924 023 is RM1936.73, and another RM50 or so for installation/reset.

Which is what I paid a year ago.

WoW! huge price RM1936.73... :eek:

azam318;453076 said:
WoW! huge price RM1936.73... :eek:

Haha... even can last 5 years, average out still a hefty RM400 a year! :eek:

My E90 OEM is not AGM battery, but same size, same 90AH.

VARTA batteries are the best for me.. on average it lasts about 4 years. Varta is OEM for BMW in Germany..however distributor here says they are out of stock and will only arrive in October.. right now they only have Varta BLUE Dynamic DIN75 which is 80Ah and 680 A (EN) cranking power. the other choices are :

http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=70 (most expensive lah)

http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=100

http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=98

http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=99

For most of us , VARTA BLUE is good enough..

If not mistaken - Its an ACDELCO DIN100

Seems OK so far- engine crank is much more responsive now.

Decided to change after being unable to start (need a jump) after a week not using the car.

Eventhough got the car started - next few days engine crank was slow-so decided to change

BTW - original battery lasted 5 years.

Yeah these batteries need attention, they're quite sensitive.

I get worried when the cars sit still for more than 3 days straight, so I make it a point to fire up whichever's been sitting around and take it down to the shopping centre on a coffee run. For the E66, sometimes when I walk past, I see the seat adjustment lights still on for some reason, even if the car has been locked for hours. Makes me wonder what other systems are draining batt.

5 years seems to be the kind of timeframe I've experienced with my batteries, but with the Mercs I used to get about 10 years...

Edit: Also, a bit of a warning. Be careful when your battery starts acting up, best to get it changed ASAP. I left mine for a bit too long cos I was too busy, and it's screwed up my E60 iDrive. Head unit/TCU requires replacing. You all know how much that costs.

astroboy;452999 said:
61 21 6 924 023 is an AGM battery with 90AH rating.

AGM stand got "Absorptive Glass Mat". These mats or separators are very thin fiber Boron-Silicate glass mats between the lead plates of the battery. AGM batteries are excellent for starting and deep cycle applications. AGM batteries are also known as "starved electrolyte" and will "not leak" if broken or split open.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/61216924023/
AGM usually last more than 5 yrs. It is one type of deep cycle battery. In UK, there is a company call Elecsol tha makes AGM battery with Carbon Fibre. For DIN100 battery, the weigh is 19.5kg & it has 5 yrs warranty. Price is GBP 105. But don't know how to import them.

davidtch;453195 said:
AGM usually last more than 5 yrs. It is one type of deep cycle battery. In UK, there is a company call Elecsol tha makes AGM battery with Carbon Fibre. For DIN100 battery, the weigh is 19.5kg & it has 5 yrs warranty. Price is GBP 105. But don't know how to import them.

Just a battery la. Won't make your car run faster.. :p Lead acid also its alright for me, there's a drain outlet in our battery tray anyway meant just for this. Just add water.. :D

Summore even if u can get it in, if got problem, warranty claim how la?! I say, no need so mafan.. :p

astroboy;453276 said:
Just a battery la. Won't make your car run faster.. :p Lead acid also its alright for me, there's a drain outlet in our battery tray anyway meant just for this. Just add water.. :D

Summore even if u can get it in, if got problem, warranty claim how la?! I say, no need so mafan.. :p
In Sg, there r some ppl that use Odyssey battery, which is an AGM battery. The pwr rating is the same as OEM battery. But size is smaller (need specially made bracket to hold it) & lighter. They claims that car run faster (based on butt feel). I have no idea as i have not tried it yet.

davidtch;453490 said:
In Sg, there r some ppl that use Odyssey battery, which is an AGM battery. The pwr rating is the same as OEM battery. But size is smaller (need specially made bracket to hold it) & lighter. They claims that car run faster (based on butt feel). I have no idea as i have not tried it yet.

Hahaha! now we are talking.. :wink: If they both priced the same and perform the same, my choice is definitely the lighter one. :top:

I just changed my battery. I was desperate and just got a 88Ah AGM battery from Lucky Garden. RM 650. Original battery is 80Ah. Running it for a day no problems besides setting the clock.

Note: online forums report many complains of various faults triggered and needing reset after battery change. But nothing very serious or risky.

Consulted 4-5 different workshop whether need to register battery with car computer or not as recommended by some forums. Generally they say No Need or havent heard of such thing.

Got quoted RM1350 for original BMW battery + Register service.

Got quoted to do just Register Battery Function. RM 150.

Searched online info and this is what is why you pay RM150:

E60 E61 Registering the battery replacement

Why register the battery replacement?

After fitting a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run. Registration of the battery replacement is necessary to notify the power management (software in the engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery has been fitted in the vehicle.
Without registration of the battery replacement, the power management does not run properly and this can lead to function limitations, for example reduction or deactivation of individual consumer units.

Register battery replacement

This function informs the power management in the DME/DDE of a battery replacement. The following operations are performed:
The current kilometre reading is stored for the battery replacement.
The stored measured values (battery charge statuses, current, voltage, temperature, etc.) are deleted.
The power management is initialised.

Replacing the battery: other battery capacity or AGM battery

As the battery depends on the engine ands options fitted, the following information is coded in the CAS:
Battery capacity (for example 90 Ah)
Battery type: AGM battery or lead-acid battery.
In the case of battery replacement, in general the battery capacity used as series standard may be used.
On installation of a battery with higher or lower capacity or installation of an AGM battery, Progman must be used to recode the CAS:
With Progman, run the retrofit ”Battery” (select battery capacity of the fitted battery).
Register additional battery replacements with this service function.

Battery: battery capacity and battery type
The battery capacity can be read from the label with the technical data. The other label contains safety instructions.
AGM batteries can be recognised by the black battery housing. The cycle-proof AGM batteries are used for especially heavy loads on the vehicle network depending on equipment and requirements.

So we can't "register" the battery ourselves? Need special tools?! would a "memory saver" like this save the hassle for "registering" battery?

memorysaver300.jpg

Top Bottom