E60 530iA vs 535d

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kennycheun

Club Guest
Got news that BMW will be launching their new 3 litre engine on the E60 this july... just wondering which one is actually a better bet...530iA new engine or the new 535d...is there anyone having a 530d...?how's the car so far... heard a lot of negative comment bout diesels here in malaysia...can't make up my mind...anyone...??? give me an advice please...

In terms of performance (and I emphasize that I'm only referring to performance and not anything else such as "maintenance" issues), the 530d is a sterling performer compared to the present 530i. In fact, the 535d is a real scorcher with gargantuan wallops of torque whereas the new 530i even with new engine is expected to be just another fast saloon. The 535d on the other hand has been likened to M5-aspiring. But, I have heard horror stories surrounding the E270CDi caused by poor quality of local diesel. Personally, I won't risk a diesel now and stick to the petrol version. With 258 bhp, I should be quite contented...

E60 530d is a gem. I test drove one and it scared me. Seems more powerful than a Porche boxster. The acceleration is just awesome.

Still some people does not like the sound of diesel clutter when it is idling. I know British people hated it. I just think it sounded funny. If fuel comsumption is a long term concern, the diesel is hard to beat. I heard if you drive like a madman it still returns 30 mpg. Driving normal give 35-40 mpg on the 530d.

Also, some people just love the pull or sound of the gas engine in the 530i. Its for "normal" for the fussy sort of owner. Both are great, the diesel is a gem and you can drive it like crazy and not worry about fuel bills. There are two 530d in my neighbourhood. A black one drives crazy while a silver one just cruises. One house had 3 bimmers and they are all gas engines: E46 325i, E60 530i and E90 320i. That E90 just arrived a few days ago.

My E34s are gas and I drive like crazy most of the time. Its fun. Its what BMW is all about.

Originally posted by E34EuroTouring@May 6 2005, 11:54 AM
E60 530d is a gem. I test drove one and it scared me. Seems more powerful than a Porche boxster. The acceleration is just awesome.

Still some people does not like the sound of diesel clutter when it is idling. I know British people hated it. I just think it sounded funny. If fuel comsumption is a long term concern, the diesel is hard to beat. I heard if you drive like a madman it still returns 30 mpg. Driving normal give 35-40 mpg on the 530d.

Also, some people just love the pull or sound of the gas engine in the 530i. Its for "normal" for the fussy sort of owner. Both are great, the diesel is a gem and you can drive it like crazy and not worry about fuel bills. There are two 530d in my neighbourhood. A black one drives crazy while a silver one just cruises. One house had 3 bimmers and they are all gas engines: E46 325i, E60 530i and E90 320i. That E90 just arrived a few days ago.

My E34s are gas and I drive like crazy most of the time. Its fun. Its what BMW is all about.
One thing sure scratches my head is, if one can afford a 500k car, what is the fuel saving matters to him. Let say one can save 1k per month on fuel by driving a lot and since he can afford to buy a 530i, then what is 1k or even 2k, 3k for him per month! :yes:

Hi E34EuroTouring,

E34s? How many do u have? A friend (in Kch) is migrating next year, and selling his E34 318 - interested? Will post some pics once its out of the shop - getting brand new coat of paint and service.

Originally posted by mini_jeff67@May 6 2005, 01:54 AM
Hi E34EuroTouring,

E34s? How many do u have? A friend (in Kch) is migrating next year, and selling his E34 318 - interested? Will post some pics once its out of the shop - getting brand new coat of paint and service.
you mean e30? e34 is a 5 series

Diesel would be a better choice if the road tax is reduce, thats my only comment about Diesel car :)

Just got an E 270 CDi for my wife last week and ngam ngam clocked 2300KM, it gives ~ 10L/100km with hard drive while highway cruising returned an impressive 7.6L/100KM @ 140km/h.

Diesel in Malaysia is pretty OK as its Sulphur content is capped with a maximum of 0.3%. My father's S320 CDi is 2 years old now and it doesn't give much problem, set aside the BLACK SMOKE when accelerating :p

I am now considering changing to Diesel car as well, waiting the new ML to be launched.

Roadtax
-----------
E270 CDi RM 2715
S320 CDi RM 6288

both PRIVATE REGISTRATION (with Green Engine Certificate by SIRIM) *2 for COMPANY REGISTRATION

Originally posted by superduper@May 6 2005, 01:09 AM
One thing sure scratches my head is, if one can afford a 500k car, what is the fuel saving matters to him. Let say one can save 1k per month on fuel by driving a lot and since he can afford to buy a 530i, then what is 1k or even 2k, 3k for him per month! :yes:
exactly.. to be driving a 500k car, the last thing u want to worry about is fuel consumption, road tax, insurance and maintenance.. :yes:

Originally posted by Juan Powerblow@May 6 2005, 03:02 PM
I guess fuel economy is material if there's a lot of travelling i.e. from bungalow in Mont Kiara to factory in Balakong to tai thong in Port Klang to another factory in Senawang to Health Spa in Klang to golf driving range in Subang and back home to Mont Kiara then to visiting in-laws in Cheras etc etc etc etc.... ALL IN ONE DAY!!
But one is that BIG boss then I think he will NOT do all these travellings and he will have all his #1 men to do them for him. He will just go see see here and there and then get off to play golf at 12 pm noon! :D

Okay let put this scenario like this: provided he goes to gas station EVERYDAY to refuel. One tank roughly RM100.00 and for 5 days a week and 20 days a month, that is only RM2000.00 spent for gas. Okay if he uses diesel version which he can save may be 50%, that is ONLY RM1k saving and WHAT is 1k to this very BIG boss!!! :eek:

May be the saying is right, got money to buy big car but no money to buy fuel to run it! :)

Originally posted by kawei@May 6 2005, 06:55 PM
Diesel would be a better choice if the road tax is reduce, thats my only comment about Diesel car :)

Just got an E 270 CDi for my wife last week and ngam ngam clocked 2300KM, it gives ~ 10L/100km with hard drive while highway cruising returned an impressive 7.6L/100KM @ 140km/h.

Diesel in Malaysia is pretty OK as its Sulphur content is capped with a maximum of 0.3%. My father's S320 CDi is 2 years old now and it doesn't give much problem, set aside the BLACK SMOKE when accelerating :p

I am now considering changing to Diesel car as well, waiting the new ML to be launched.

Roadtax
-----------
E270 CDi RM 2715
S320 CDi RM 6288

both PRIVATE REGISTRATION (with Green Engine Certificate by SIRIM) *2 for COMPANY REGISTRATION
So your family is a BIG diesel car supporter/fan huh? How is the feeling of refueling diesel at gas station where they normally have a dedicated pump under the sun which makes one feel like second class citizen and fueling the diesel under hot sun? Also, do you use glove while refueling? Coz it is ALWAYS filty and oily for diesel pump? :D :D :D

May be not coz all BIG bosses have drivers to do it mah.

Smoking other people with black smoke is fun, isn't it? But that also shows a lousy car in front as how can a good car has black smoke coming out from exhaust outlets. This also happens to 530i when new. Very common and taste good also to smell by yourself when starting it every morning. :D

Originally posted by superduper@May 6 2005, 08:51 AM
So your family is a BIG diesel car supporter/fan huh? How is the feeling of refueling diesel at gas station where they normally have a dedicated pump under the sun which makes one feel like second class citizen and fueling the diesel under hot sun? Also, do you use glove while refueling? Coz it is ALWAYS filty and oily for diesel pump? :D :D :D

May be not coz all BIG bosses have drivers to do it mah.

Smoking other people with black smoke is fun, isn't it? But that also shows a lousy car in front as how can a good car has black smoke coming out from exhaust outlets. This also happens to 530i when new. Very common and taste good also to smell by yourself when starting it every morning. :D
There is nothing FANS about DIESEL car but it always come back to EFFICIENCY. If high mileage, then i will go for DIESEL. In fact, my house still got S320, Lexus LX470 and X5 3.0i which is a petrol. For your information, there are quite a number of petrol station having their DIESEL pump shed. Talking about gloves, do you wear it when you refill PETROL? Guess not as it is not provided for PETROL pump either :)

It just happens that my house have DRIVER.

The black smoke is due to Sulphur content in DIESEL available in Malaysia. DIESEL in EU won't give black smoke.

ooh.. ooh.. now u mentioned about the black smoke.. i was tailing a brabus d4 the other day on kesas.. wah, very nice car! (i personally love the e-class), somehow brabus's black body looks so sexy (or is it just the badge?)..

then when the car infront moved over, i down shift, tapping on the accelarator, waiting for the d4 to gun it, then shock horror!! clouds of black smoke coming out from the quad exhaust.. !! aiya, doesnt do justice to a very reputable car la... :dunno: imagine that with the e60.. i'll be disappointed :eek:

p/s: dont take it wrongly, i wanted to get 330d initially too..

adliz, the badge + the sexy body i guess.

you won't see it if you are inside the car :p

so its not a problem for me, but maybe others :nyehehe:

Originally posted by kawei@May 6 2005, 12:07 PM
adliz, the badge + the sexy body i guess.

you won't see it if you are inside the car :p

so its not a problem for me, but maybe others :nyehehe:
hehe.. yup.. 530 or 535d or 530d all would be great cars.. no doubt. but maybe wait a bit and see how the merc cls gonna be priced.. i'm guessing entry model would be much cheaper than those cars..

btw, anyone know how much the e60 m5? any on our road yet?

i heard from the sales girl in AB said that its gonna priced at above 1M

Well guys, I hear you regarding the cost issue of diesel vs gas, also the price of the car to start off with. People has different priorities. First thing is , fuel is a recurring cost that can add up rather seriously of one covers a lot of KM per month and per year.

The other problem some people have is refuelling too often. Some people just hated going to the gas station. Not the money but time wasted not moving, now you are talking about at least twice more frequent using gasoline compare to diesel.

When I was in the States driving a Chevy sedan compared to Toyota Camry means HALF the number of visits to the gas station each week. Hey, my company was paying for the fuel then, but it was my time to fill up the Chevy, my life was rather different after the Camry since I got more time for family and shopping centres rather than waiting in the gas station!. Or , I could do a carwash with the refuel run....

But the kicker for the 530d must be the enomous torque it generates. This would make the 530i feel like a 520i during acceleration, although the 330i does 0-100 kph in a tenth a second quicker!. NOw, we are talking about standard BMW turbo-diesel boost levels here, if one can hold boost for another 3 psi more, that 530d becomes very letal indeed!. (by changing the Bosch re-circ valve to a higher tensioned one, just like what the Audi boys are doing)
Easy to get 250HP instead of 205 stock!.
:eek:k:

Talking about clouds of black smoke from a 530d. Yes, I saw that as well, in my neighbourhood Black 530d!. I was surprised. Not a big cloud, mind you, just small but noticable, when the turbo kicks in, for that awesome torque, this is bound to be the result!.

This is where a gasoline turbo would be better. Its the only downside to any diesel engine. I don't think the driver notices it since he is gone the moment the black smoke emits from the tailpipe!. He will have to admit, though, that his diesel, will occasionally kick out black smoke like a bus!. :yes:

My comments about the 530i vs. the 530d;

1.Yes, the diesel is faster in the real world (ie. overtaking from 80-120km/h).

2. It does not seem that much more economical than the petrol (around 10L/100km consumption, vs. around 12-13L/100km for the petrol (?- i'm assuming)).

3. It does cause a bit of a racket at idle, and yes, it does spit out black smoke on kickdown, but hey, what the hell... all highly tuned engines kick out a puff of smoke/flames anyways.

4. No problems so far with local diesel (a year now), it's covered by the warranty anyways, plus do you think BMW AG will be silly enough to launch a product in an un-suitable market causing themselves masses of recalls?

5. Yes, the roadtax is pretty horrendous compared to a petrol... but hey, the initial cost savings (i think of around rm40-50k) over the petrol can be used to pay road tax of how many years?

6. Then there's the snob factor of knowing that no one will ever mistake your e60 530d for a CKD car... Hahaha.

Top Bottom