E60 523i LCI 2007 - Maintenance Advice Needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kw930

Club Guest
Hi All,

Lately having a friend tend to let go his 2007 E60 523i, it's a year end 2007 model and reading from the earlier Paultan review (https://paultan.org/2008/11/03/the-e60-bmw-5-series-facelift-range-test-drive-bmw-523i-se-525i-sports-and-530i/), think it's the first batch of LCI model.

The car is currently clocking close to 100K mileage and seeing it as an almost 10 years, wonder what would be the possible major maintenance need to be repaired(suspension, gearbox, sensors, PCV valve etc)?
So far I manage to see its service record book about the first 5 years (until 2012) maintenance done in AB (no major issue found recorded), the rest I think he's servicing it outside and I'm not sure whether he still keep any record.

From the test drive, I see that the car is prompting an active steering error, which when engine first start, the steering is very heavy, but after driving for some distance it'll back to normal. Can someone explain what is causing this error (heard it can be due to a weak battery)? What would be the cost to repair it?

Other than that found that the engine head gasket start seeping out oil stain, also the power steering reservoir tank cover also seep out with oil. This should be common and an easy fix?

If you are really keen on his car then I suggest you to do a PPI at an authorized dealership. Not really sure how much it is now (last time was RM250?) and they will give you a detailed breakdown of the condition of the car, what's needed to be changed anytime soon and other things you might wanna know regarding the car.

salzki said:
If you are really keen on his car then I suggest you to do a PPI at an authorized dealership. Not really sure how much it is now (last time was RM250?) and they will give you a detailed breakdown of the condition of the car, what's needed to be changed anytime soon and other things you might wanna know regarding the car.
Thanks for the advice.
Well, checking the car current condition is one thing, what I'm more concern is with the car age and the mileage, what will be the common problem that foresee will happen on this model?
So far I see there's a high possibility of active steering sensor faulty, anyone has any experience of repairing it?
I see some forum stating that engine wise, the LCI model (black top engine) is better than the pre LCI model (silver top engine), the latter tend to have 'eat' engine oil problem, is it true?

Im being told that the footwell module is n longer required when changing to lci taillights.....is this true?

Cheers

Top Bottom