E46 vibrating at 160km/h

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

krazeepete

Club Guest
Hi Guys,My drive is a 2000 E46 328iI sense slight vibrations of the car (not steering wheel due to bad alignment) going above 160km/hI also just sent the car for a full service at AB last week but the problem still persists. Told them the problem but they said they cannot drive the car at that speed to know the problem.ANy suggestions of what is the problem or what I can do?

Tell AB to jack up the car and drive it to 160 inside the workshop. :D

Originally posted by krazeepete@Feb 24 2005, 05:09 PM
Told them the problem but they said they cannot drive the car at that speed to know the problem.
EXCUSES!!!!

Just say so that they are lazy to troubleshoot... :angry:

Mr Pete;

Let me kaypoh a bit :D

Actually I am still unclear from your description.

Where izzit vibrating? Steering wheel? Prop shaft? Body shakes?

And U said "slight"? How slight? (and at 160 km/hr summore :eek: ). Surely no such thing as Vibes free at 160 km/hr.

If the alignment is out.. then the result is in the tracking of the vehicle will be out (makan tayar). If the wheel is out of balance or bearings are out, then U will get the Vibes.

So, this is me an mamture giving you virtual rundown.

Yes.. AB do not allow their persons to drive 160 km/hr. But U can suggest that U drive, their advisor sit beside U.

Why they did not suggest that?
Because that means making a suggestion to U to break the law.

Hope that helps.... a bit.

Some how 160 km/hr seems to be my norm cruizing speed on Kesas... ;)... daily for decarb. :yahoo:

used to have a "similar" problem,

before that, did the on wheel balancing, rotation and alignment never "lari", so finally, changed my tires then the vibration gone...

did you change tires recently???

And when was the last time you did a balance and alignment? Perhaps its due?

AB is f**ked like so many people in this forum have said.

Thanks for the tips guys but here's a little more details...

Vibration does not seem like the "out of alignment kind" that would be more of the steering.

My case is that it feels like the car is going on a bumpy road after 160km/h and "vibrates" if that seems like anything of a description. funny thing is that it only starts doing that at that speed.... :eek:

I know vibration is expected but I drive my wife's E36 328i very comfortably at that speed and even up to 200+ km/h with no marked difference in its ride. Don't think the E46 should be more unstable that the E36 in any way.

Have not changed the tyres recently but am looking change rims and tyres to soon and will see how that pans out. If not, need your help again :D

krazeepete

coupla questions :

1. vibration from front or rear ?

if u can feel it in the steering, it's front

if not, it's rear

2. is it left or right? or non-specific?

if you can feel it more from left, or right, try swapping the rear wheels, and see if the vibration shifts. if so, it's confirmed the wheel.

if problem remains on the same side, you've at least narrowed down the area.

many possibilities - dead arm bushes or balljoints (not sure if the E46 is multilink), damaged tire, dead/dying suspension mount.

good luck!

redd

Krazeepete...dare to let me drive ur car..???

I remember when Chester was buying his E46..I was with him.and what seems to be the problem is actually not the problem at all......trace out something else. You ask him. and the problem was settled without hassle....with the help from AB guy.

I dun own the E46..who am I to say anything unless you believe me and let me drive it!!!

Originally posted by Zoggee@Mar 2 2005, 01:18 AM
Krazeepete...dare to let me drive ur car..???

I remember when Chester was buying his E46..I was with him.and what seems to be the problem is actually not the problem at all......trace out something else. You ask him. and the problem was settled without hassle....with the help from AB guy.

I dun own the E46..who am I to say anything unless you believe me and let me drive it!!!
Hmmmm, maybe I shud let you try my car too. Perhaps you can advise me of any shortcomings to my ride. I have that slight vibration from the rear at above 120kmh too. Was worse previously but have managed to rectify part of the cause. Tried to find the remedy for the remaining vibration but it has been eluding me. :dunno:

flash,

we shud get together, swap cars, and compare the ride.

you can take mine up to 2++ km/h, and compare....

shud not vibrate!

mine still got slight low-frequency humming sound though...

krazeepete - i gone 160km on my E46..No Vibration... you should take to Bimmer Auto and get him drive it on NPE..

Originally posted by Lee36328@Mar 2 2005, 11:22 AM
flash,

we shud get together, swap cars, and compare the ride.

you can take mine up to 2++ km/h, and compare....

shud not vibrate!

mine still got slight low-frequency humming sound though...
Yup, I meant that mine still has that low frequency humming sound. Might be a bit distracting but then hey, it is my audible warning to tell me that I am exceeding 110kmh. :D Once I hear that, I back off the power pedal...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions on and offline. I have been a little busy lately and not coming into the forum.

Anyways, finally solved my problem i think. could have been tires or rims but have changed both and it looks good for now. just took it to 210 last night and it was a little noisy but much smoother

thanks again :D !!!!

By the way Zoggee, can drive my car anytime and tell me what's wrong or what can be improved..... always keen on improving the ride

Originally posted by krazeepete@Mar 10 2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions on and offline. I have been a little busy lately and not coming into the forum.

Anyways, finally solved my problem i think. could have been tires or rims but have changed both and it looks good for now. just took it to 210 last night and it was a little noisy but much smoother

thanks again :D !!!!

By the way Zoggee, can drive my car anytime and tell me what's wrong or what can be improved..... always keen on improving the ride

just took it to 210 last night

Wooit!

Suddenly git titanium balls, izzit?

Top Bottom