E46 variants

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Riezal-R

Club Guest
Hi fellas,I'm new here and urrently shopping around for an E46. I've tried searching through the forum for some specific info but unable to find it, hence im posting my questions here. Looking for feedback from seasoned BMW drivers.1. What year did the E46 facelift come out? Looking at UK or Japan spec.- I'm getting mixed input from used car dealers. I've seen 2001 E46 with facelift + double vanos, and claims to have been manufactured Nov 2001 (UK spec). Converted or original?2. Which year did the double vanos engine come into the picture for the E46?3. Some E46 models come with sunroof. Where were these imported from?4. Are the reconditioned UK and Japan spec cars climatized for our weather? Will it be a problem in the future?Appreciate any constructive input from seasoned BMW owners.

1) 02..but nov 01 oso got..(look under the hood, valvetronic engine means 02 model)

2) same as above

3)uk/jap/south africa

4)no, but dealers will say yes..and lastly yes, but you'll get mixed replys here..depend also on how you take care of it.

Thanks Guru.

How do you tell its a valvetronic? Is it that extra box next to the engine cylinder? And as for double vanos, is it true that there will be two air filters?

valvetronic engine bay looks full..got the plastic covers over the engine..not like kosong on the sides..i think valvetronic is d/vanos..

Only the 4 potter gets the valvetronic for the E46. One good way to chk if you are getting a 318i is that the valvy is a 2.0 ltr while the pre-facelift is a 1.9ltr. Also 5 spd auto tranny for the facelift vs. 4 spd for prefacelift for the 318i.

What if they did a front-end and engine swap? Surely this is possible. Any way to check based on chassis number?

yes, u may check thru the chassis number if its a 1.9 or 2.0....

it may cost them to do some cosmetics surgery from a preface to facelifted. maybe its just not worth the effort for the salesman....

good luck

jsen said:
yes, u may check thru the chassis number if its a 1.9 or 2.0....

it may cost them to do some cosmetics surgery from a preface to facelifted. maybe its just not worth the effort for the salesman....

good luck

I know its costly, but better safe than sorry. How do you differentiate the chassis number for each?

look at engine- visual enuff .. also 02 models got OBC(on board computer) can check petrol, temp, time, bla bla.. oso 5 speed auto

How much different is the valvetronic engine compared to the older ones in the E46? In terms of performance, fuel consumption and maintenance.

Thanks! That was an excellent thread. Didn't manage to find it the last time i searched the forum.

I've been using Jap cars for quite a while, so I'm very familiar with what these people are capable of doing. Body/Engine conversion is no longer a major task, especially in Malaysia.

Some dealers in recon BMWs will declare a 2002 car as a 2001 so as to pay less tax/duty.

Yeah, and buying such cars may cause problems in future when selling. If customs find out that its under declared, you end up having to pay excess duty.

Top Bottom