E46 Radiator fan is not working

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMWsociety

Club Guest
Hi all UDM sifus....seeking for your advise.My brother his E46 got overheat last week. The mech managed to find out that 1 of the termostat already failed. He replaced all the hoses (included the one at the back of the engine) , expansion tank and the termostat and now the radiator fan is not working. But if he turn onn the air cond the fan running per nomal. From my undertanding if the fan is really kong of coz if u turn onn the air cond it will not working as well right ( correct me if i am wrong :7: ). Even fan is not working but if he start the car and let it idle for 20 minutes the tempreture still at 1/2.How to check if the radiator fan is already KONG or not.......TQ

There are 2 fans. One is the clutch fan and the other is the aux. fan.

Aux fan is motor driven and it should either be STOP or slow spinning, medium spinning or fast spinning. The speed is depend on the temperature sensor.

However, when the aircon is ON, the aux fan will cut-in regardless of the water temperature.

If the water temperature gauge is showing half mark, you dont have to worry. Panic when it starts to go above 3/4 mark.

So check the temperature sensor. It should be located on the bottom rubber hose (left side of the radiator)

see item 9. (click on picture for more detail)

BMW parts catalog

Sifu jarance...tq for ur reply. For your information my brother driving E46 year 2000 with M43 engine. Refer to the image below, is it item number (11) ?

MTU4NTMwX3A=.png

bro jarance,

i have similar problem for my N42 2003.. the mech advice me to change the whole fan set..the aux fan kaput.
since its will cost 1k ++, whats your opinion on kedai potong option?

hafeez;551227 said:
bro jarance,

i have similar problem for my N42 2003.. the mech advice me to change the whole fan set..the aux fan kaput.
since its will cost 1k ++, whats your opinion on kedai potong option?

You are looking at something like this.

Kedai potong option is still the best option if new fan is not affordable. However, there are some people who buy other fan motor and retrofit it back with the original fan blade. However, pls check on the type of motor used. I heard that some motors have 3 wires (really for DC motor???) and some have 2 wires.

BMW parts catalog

thanks bro..

do you know how much it will cost at kedai potong.. ive call bavarian auto , for new set is RM 900

hafeez;551635 said:
thanks bro..

do you know how much it will cost at kedai potong.. ive call bavarian auto , for new set is RM 900

depends on your nego power but should be around 40 to 60% of new set price as a guide.

zulkifli;552192 said:
Mine, just replaced brand new at RM750....DIY

:top:
wow.. interesting.. can share the DIY manual and where you buy the new set with that price tag?
im kinda DIY person also.. thanks

I'm purchased at spare-part shop at bangi (BMbenz), they only selling part for BMW and Benz.

zulkifli;552435 said:
I'm purchased at spare-part shop at bangi (BMbenz), they only selling part for BMW and Benz.

bro, is that original BOSCH or OEM taiwan made?

Sorry everybody......

Late reply..as i was busy last few weeks....my brother replaced with brand new fan..everthing is working now...

RM780 from Munich Auto

Top Bottom