E46 m3 2006

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

twinpiped

Club Guest
hi guys.. so, i had a look at the unit on OKR - and after a chat with the salesman on duty, he said the car has some "usual" M3 problems... er...so here goes:1. The unit has a faulty / worn out rear axle?.. (something like that) tht will be changed to a refurbished part once the sale is confirmed by buyer... (i am told the rear axle jammed cos the car was left parked for too long)2. The unit came with faulty SMG transmission - they changed the broken parts (they apparently have receipts to show for the work- i didnt see the receipts)...3. Being a UK Recon unit, I noticed and the salesman confirmed that there are some rusts around the car cos of salt on the highway etc. Even the steel bits on the engine hood were rusty.... why la so easily rusted wan....have you guys any comments about these points?Sounds like a few serious problems.... :D

Stay away from doggy sales persons... One good way is to have the ride diagnosed with a reputable w/shop of your choosing. Make your decision then and after a good test drive!

What was the mileage and the offer price if you don't mind?

hi bc.. the car had a really low mileage.. i could have been mistaken.. 20,000miles i think (im not sure)... the salesman admitted the mileage has been tampered with but he doesnt know what was the original mileage..

offer price was RM220k but need to confirm with his boss... :D

my question remains bc: are those common problems on E46 M3 UK models?....

1. The unit has a faulty / worn out rear axle?..
2. The unit came with faulty SMG transmission
..clear signature of abuse, E46 M3 axle indeed is known to fail if car is abused..having said that, Im not surprised transmission was affected too..

3. Being a UK Recon unit, I noticed and the salesman confirmed that there are some rusts around the car cos of salt on the highway etc.
..every person I know (owner of M's) in Europe, considered as a car enthusiast, ALWAYS washing car after exposure to winter conditions (salt, ash or other kind of chemicals to remove/compensate ice/snow effect on the roads)..it means, this vehicle was not taken care at all..

Conclusion:
I think you should let it go..and normal price i would expect should be around 240K..it means dealer want to get rid of that car, im sure..

Ecc0;733092 said:
..clear signature of abuse, E46 M3 axle indeed is known to fail if car is abused..having said that, Im not surprised transmission was affected too..

..every person I know (owner of M's) in Europe, considered as a car enthusiast, ALWAYS washing car after exposure to winter conditions (salt, ash or other kind of chemicals to remove/compensate ice/snow effect on the roads)..it means, this vehicle was not taken care at all..

Conclusion:
I think you should let it go..and normal price i would expect should be around 240K..it means dealer want to get rid of that car, im sure..

I could not have said any better... My opinion is to continue looking.

Hi guys... Thanks for that...

Have u come across a unit with plate number W**82....?

What's the history of this E46 M3 2004 like?

Owner said he bought it from an owner who changed the suspension and the entire exhaust system.

Something's been done to the smg11 also.... Always worries me when I hear that..

It has a sunroof...sweet.. :D

But interior is a bit worn...with stuff peeling off on door handles and other centre console parts... And the left Pillar that holds the windscreen...has seen better days Lo....

The car is noisy and will wake up the neighbors.... :D

What's the history like? ( if you know)...

best person is to get in touch with Anson Soo.

Prior to his vert, he went scouting for most of them in the market. He would have most info on possible each of them.

NKTOB;733235 said:
best person is to get in touch with Anson Soo.

Prior to his vert, he went scouting for most of them in the market. He would have most info on possible each of them.

Roger that.. thanks man... black looks good on anything... dang.

twinpiped;733237 said:
Roger that.. thanks man... black looks good on anything... dang.

yup, but it's a PITB to maintain it!

good luck hunting, feel free to ask around on your hunt for the infamous S54 IL6.

twinpiped;733073 said:
hi guys.. so, i had a look at the unit on OKR - and after a chat with the salesman on duty, he said the car has some "usual" M3 problems... er...so here goes:

1. The unit has a faulty / worn out rear axle?.. (something like that) tht will be changed to a refurbished part once the sale is confirmed by buyer... (i am told the rear axle jammed cos the car was left parked for too long)
2. The unit came with faulty SMG transmission - they changed the broken parts (they apparently have receipts to show for the work- i didnt see the receipts)...
3. Being a UK Recon unit, I noticed and the salesman confirmed that there are some rusts around the car cos of salt on the highway etc. Even the steel bits on the engine hood were rusty.... why la so easily rusted wan....

have you guys any comments about these points?

Sounds like a few serious problems.... :D

1) The common problem at the rear axle is the worn out differential cover bush (3 pieces). This is a common problem as the rear differential is mounted onto the rear subframe via these three bushes, and due to the amount of torque generated, these will break over time, and you will get grinding/rattling all over the rear of the car when under acceleration. Now you can get the whole differential cover for less than 1k plus labour and oil, should be less than 2k. Happened to mine as well.

2) If the SMG unit is faulty, it will be a costly affair. For the M3, the culprit is the SMG pump. There is no repair kit and forget about getting a used one on ebay. New one is about 8k.

3) Most of the recon cars from UK has this problem. Not that it has been abused by previous owners but sometimes these cars sat in the dockyard for months, before someone buys it and ships it to Malaysia. Best is to raise up the car and do a proper inspection.

Last but not least, given the condition of the car, 220k is a little high.

Cheers

ALBundy;733264 said:
1) The common problem at the rear axle is the worn out differential cover bush (3 pieces). This is a common problem as the rear differential is mounted onto the rear subframe via these three bushes, and due to the amount of torque generated, these will break over time, and you will get grinding/rattling all over the rear of the car when under acceleration. Now you can get the whole differential cover for less than 1k plus labour and oil, should be less than 2k. Happened to mine as well.

2) If the SMG unit is faulty, it will be a costly affair. For the M3, the culprit is the SMG pump. There is no repair kit and forget about getting a used one on ebay. New one is about 8k.

3) Most of the recon cars from UK has this problem. Not that it has been abused by previous owners but sometimes these cars sat in the dockyard for months, before someone buys it and ships it to Malaysia. Best is to raise up the car and do a proper inspection.

Last but not least, given the condition of the car, 220k is a little high.

Cheers

thanks Al...

inspection required... roger that...

on a different note, there's an E92 325Ci sitting a couple of cars away from the E46 M3, and two units of the Porsche 997 Turbos ..... somehow, those cars look feminine sitting next to the E46 M3..... :D :D

on a different note, there's an E92 325Ci sitting a couple of cars away from the E46 M3, and two units of the Porsche 997 Turbos ..... somehow, those cars look feminine sitting next to the E46 M3.....

..they are laa..chicks on da steroids :)

Hello..Have you buy your M yet? I've got the same problem with my E46 M3 too. Fixed the axle (actually the differential), just add booster fluid. Can get it from Auto Bavaria. That's normal for rear wheel drive car. Don't know about the SMG. Mine was manual (sold it last few months with 2-digit no). The undercarriage will got rusty coz recon cars were used in countries that have snow. The rusty was caused by the snow salt.

Hello OOpiped, what's your decision at the moment ? Still consider the OKR unit or Wxx82 ? OKR unit are slept there long long time ago, no doubt the salesman wanna let it go fast.. Even i bought my unit, the rear axle also leaking, but just need to change the oil seal and re-oil only, so far no others issue. (Touch Wood). Rusty is hard to avoid that, mine UK spec also have this problem, unless you look for Local unit then is fine.

Cheers mate.

ansonsoo;736237 said:
Hello OOpiped, what's your decision at the moment ? Still consider the OKR unit or Wxx82 ? OKR unit are slept there long long time ago, no doubt the salesman wanna let it go fast.. Even i bought my unit, the rear axle also leaking, but just need to change the oil seal and re-oil only, so far no others issue. (Touch Wood). Rusty is hard to avoid that, mine UK spec also have this problem, unless you look for Local unit then is fine.

Cheers mate.

hey Anson... thanks for dropping a note... no decisions made cos i have to admit i havent done much researching into M3... i just know i like the look of it... even a 318Ci made to look like an M3 looks good to me... :D :D

can you share some comments about the units you looked at...if you still remember them?... u can pick one or two of the best ones that you didnt end up getting...

i looked up a bit on E46 M3, and found that it comes with a few scary problems.. :D

1. subframe cracking: that is worrying la.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgQBvAJaqY

2. rear axle: i think i read somewhere that says it requires special oil to keep running well... (as long as the oil is readily available in the country..)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282737

3. SMG II: generally sensitive and one of key concerns on an E46 M3...i think owner of Wxx 82 said that, have to let go gas pedal a bit to shift gears....

previously, the guys touched on items 2 & 3..

have you any comments to add?.... i expect some problems on a recon unit.. i don't want the above 3 problems... :D

you white unit is nice...

Liza;734752 said:
Hello..Have you buy your M yet? I've got the same problem with my E46 M3 too. Fixed the axle (actually the differential), just add booster fluid. Can get it from Auto Bavaria. That's normal for rear wheel drive car. Don't know about the SMG. Mine was manual (sold it last few months with 2-digit no). The undercarriage will got rusty coz recon cars were used in countries that have snow. The rusty was caused by the snow salt.

hi Liza... have not made decision.. :D

Bro, if you really dreaming everyday for M3, just grab it. But make sure in good condition! Are you sure you don't need power ? You said 318 also you happy, then at least look for 325ci.. But, M still the M, cannot compare. Go test drive it you will know what i mean.

For see, Malaysia not many unit subframe crack.. And i still think Malaysian really sayang they M if they love it. In the market i know one Carbon Black, year 2006 registered unit, own by a russian guy before, be careful when you hunting. Even you take out the boot carpet can see the welding.
This subframe crack issue is because the owner always launch the launch control system, that's the reason why look easy to crack. After install replacement kit/reinforcement kit doesn't mean no good man, may be more solid and reliable for long run. No one know, this is what we judge only, in UK commend to do it..

That's no special oil bro, diesel engine use diesel, petrol engine use petrol, LSD axle use LSD oil lo.. When i bought my, change my oil seal and change the rear axle oil together. The oil if not mistaken cost me RM3xx or RM4xx only, can get it from Bavarian Auto, original BMW rear axle oil.. Don't let the M letter scared you bro. (Part# 93 22 2 282 583 (contains 3 little squeeze bottles of fluid)

Top Bottom