E46 318i N42 - water leak into the engine

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
They have been done all the checkings that you have mentioned and after 1 week they hv decided to replace the engine

myezxs;811857 said:
Thanks Bro Aidilj!

This means i have to ask the mechanic to change the wiring harness and ECU as well?. Sorry to ask this question as my knowledge in this is rather limited.

Yes essentially, and EWS as well I believe as they are paired together

myezxs;811897 said:
They have been done all the checkings that you have mentioned and after 1 week they hv decided to replace the engine
so, now the engine replaced d? with N42?
whats the problem of this new engine?

Ya, replaced with N46 yesterday but a bit worried about other issues as highlighted by Bro Aidilj, whether the mechanic is aware bout this or not. Any disadvantages of this N46 compared to N42? Maintenance wise would be similar to N42, i guess?. If the mech is using the ECU, EWS and wiring harness from the previous engine (N42) will there be any major problem later on ?

Haiyo bro... BMW is a complicated machinery. Once you mess it up, you may experience never ending headache. Do prepare lots of Panadol bro. Sorry you have to go thru such difficult experience.

If I were you, ask your workshop to do a check list of what they did and how the engine conversion is done. Share that report with our senior members here for advice.

Good Luck bro

Ya, a good suggestion...this is new to me. Never come across this major headache during my course of ownership.

hi myezxs,

mine is n46....and i did a major overhaul last year in april due to makan minyak itam n asap putih, leaking here n there including changing cylinder head (due to cracked) which cost me a bomb 12k. i was thinking to convert to m54 but after considering the consequences that i wud not take...i just decided to major overhaul. in terms of satisfaction of driving...yes...you cud feel a bit that u r driving a brand new car....but in terms speeding n power...it is a bit regret, u understand what i mean.
in your case convert from n42 to n46....as aidil said wiring harness ECU EWS. make sure your mechanic is very familiar with that otherwise u will have headache everyday n maybe even panadol is not enough for u to take......all the best bro.

Top Bottom