E46 318i 2.0L Lifestyle Model, worth buying?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

telce8

Club Guest
Hi everyone,Im new to this forum, but I guess will be visiting this site more often if Im to get the E46 318i which I have just test driven.I have always like the design of E46, I think it's one of the most timeless design that exudes prestige and quality.The car that I am conidering buying if immaculate condition for both interior and exterior, Registered year 2004 and mileage 100k.My only concerns are:1) reliability2) underpowered? Should I get the 325i instead?3) At the price of RM90k, is it above market rate4) What are the common problems of this 2.0L valvetronic model, is this engine a much better built engine than the earlier oneWill appreciate your opinion.Regards,Telce

Please introduce yourself in the Newbie section first before posting and most importantly read the forum rules.

Salut

solo;622221 said:
Please introduce yourself in the Newbie section first before posting and most importantly read the forum rules.

Salut

Sorry. My name is Lee, I reside in Penang and work in an investment Bank.

Salut

Thanks. I hope I got it right this time!
Please I need your opinion, seller pressing me for decision by this Saturday.

telce8;622622 said:

Registered year 2004, but what is the built year? CKD car or recon?

telce8;622622 said:

Do u pay any deposit to the seller ? Private sales or car dealer ?

telce8;622622 said:

If he press u, u press him back la..

telce8;622651 said:
private sales but through 2nd car dealer

My advice to u is DON"T rush take your time to check more unit before make the final decision. If u didn't pay any deposit to this seller just forget about him. This is not buying vegetable...
Another advice is if possible try to look for 6 potter unit, as what i heard there was a lot problem on N42 engine.

Get a diagnostic done on the car, look at the error codes then press the seller back. You can ask any reputable BMW mechanic with the GT1 diagnostic computer to do this diagnostic for you, for a small fee.

Also, if the seller refuses to let you do a diagnostic, tell him to "throw his grandmother's shoes" and walk away.

Salut and good luck.

End of 2010 bought 318i (04) lifestyle, did the diagnostic ,love the car 1 month smooth sailing,later change the cylinder coil,2 months later- blackoil indicator lights up,,keep on topping up,,top overhaul, change gaskets,oilseals,,now pocket koyak, bocor,, last week it hit the 100,000km mark,, then it lost power, no pickup,, bloody sxxx,(goin to send back to guy who did the overhaul as it was after he did d overhaul all the power hilang,less than 2 week,timing?setting) dammm but still a bimmer lover. can't live without it,,

Welcome to the E46 club... in addition to your unfortunate case, all i can say is that the list of repairs will never end but however if you consider the money and parts spent now will last you another 3-5 years. I had the same problem with numerous never ending repairs http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif (a long list) and cost me abt 12K+ (gulp) the car drives like what it should. What you repair will not breakdown in near future unless its a bad part.

Which would you prefer? a new Honda City or a E46 2nd hand... for almost the same price....

cheers....

mjchai..

just got 318i 2002 last month..is yours N42? Till now she still ok..thnk god..still monitoring to see any prob

With the current E46 price, might as well get 325i instead of the N42....but please do the diagnose and prepare at least 8-10k for repair. Browse the E46 maintenance forum the get the general idea.

hi telce8,

From my personal experience, be careful when 2nd dealer pushes you to close deal. More times than not, the car is difficult to dispose (problem).

At the very least, please take it to a BMW mech for inspection, shld cost you at most RM100 (if need to pay), for list of wshop members go to, you can check the list in forum.

Power-wise - Highly recommend the 325 instead, as this is a straight-6 instead of a 4 cylinder. BMW are known for their silky 6 potters!
Price wise - at 90k for 2004, i would say its the advertisement price in KL, meaning it should be easy to get at least 5% off it. I believe trade-in value for 318 this year is roughly at 78k max for 1 owner car. Also, at 90k budget, you can get a 325 yr 04! Look around!

telce8;622190 said:
Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum, but I guess will be visiting this site more often if Im to get the E46
318i which I have just test driven.
I have always like the design of E46, I think it's one of the most timeless design that exudes prestige and quality.
The car that I am conidering buying if immaculate condition for both interior and exterior, Registered year 2004 and mileage 100k.
My only concerns are:
1) reliability
2) underpowered? Should I get the 325i instead?
3) At the price of RM90k, is it above market rate
4) What are the common problems of this 2.0L valvetronic model, is this engine a much better built engine than the earlier one

Will appreciate your opinion.

Regards,
Telce

why not go for m54 325i ? i think the prices is about same and you will enjoy the power...

Top Bottom