E46 318i 2.0 vs Mazda 6?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
E46 318i 2.0 vs Mazda 6? My brother in law is considering changing his car and has a budget of about RM160k.We had a discussion recently and narrowed down his choices to a second hand E46 or a brand new Mazda6.He would probably end up having to pay about RM1500.00 pm on the loan.So naturally he is a bit apprehensive of a second hand car and the repair bills he may be exposed to.What do you guys think? What would u get if u were in his shoes? I'll share ur feedback with him. Thanks.

I dont think so, he wants something sportier,still bachelor in early 30s settling down soon.

Looking at the 'not-so popular' status of the Mazda 6 in M'sia, I reckon it would be a wise choice to go for the E46 instead. For RM160k, you'll probably be able to get a 2002 - 03 model. You'll have to consider the ease of disposal too just in case you do not like any of the rides. With the launch of E90, I'm quite sure lots of new UDM drivers will opt for E46 becos of the more affordable pricing. In terms of looks, the E46 still prevails.

To me, the hots for Mazda 6 is just a temporary novelty kind of feel. When it was first launched in Aussie (about 2 years back), I was quite fond of it too. But after a while, the look (especially the rear lights) makes it like an Altezza wannabe. Well, just my 2 cents.

:) i'd recommend the e46.. its a superb car with a superb engine.valvetronic tech and a 5speed steptronic easily trumps the mazda's mzr2.0 with its 4speeder.
:) handling wise i know the 6 is good but u can't beat a good rwd chassis.
:) in terms of looks the e46 will age much better than the 6 IMHO.
:) and the prestige of the bimmer badge..well,u can't beat that..

I will go for E46....why....nothing special but all gals will prefer bimmer instead of mazda :D

What about maintainance cost. A 3-4 yr old Bimmer may be showing its age,parts to replace etc.

If not Mazda then maybe Accord. I guess the question really is new Japanese or second hand bimmer?

Originally posted by kawei@Jul 17 2005, 05:53 AM
MB's new A class is a good choice :)
Agreed! Tested.....very well in handling.....very powderful too...price reasonable.....only RM 178,888. Fully CBU summore.....Mercedes summore.....what a life dude.....cars are cheap....but still no moolah to buy....hehehe :D

Originally posted by supergripen@Jul 17 2005, 10:24 AM
:) i'd recommend the e46.. its a superb car with a superb engine.valvetronic tech and a 5speed steptronic easily trumps the mazda's mzr2.0 with its 4speeder.
:) handling wise i know the 6 is good but u can't beat a good rwd chassis.
:) in terms of looks the e46 will age much better than the 6 IMHO.
:) and the prestige of the bimmer badge..well,u can't beat that..
Agreed 110% :D

Mazda 6 was launched in China long time ago, it was made in Hainan. Too many on the road now. It is true that after a while the look of it tends to become stale..Bulky rear, nothing impressive, unlike an UDM, well balanced and never get enough of it.

:D maintainance wise i can't comment against the mazda cuz i've never owned a modern day mazda before..
the e46 if well taken care of shudn't be expensive to maintain..in fact its cheaper probably in the long run taking into account the service interval and the depreciation rate..plus spares are easier to obtain compared to the rare mazda6

Hmmm.. hate to be the one to spoil the game.. but having a used E46 will always mean dearer replacement parts .. I mean.. it's the price to pay for performance bits.

Do consider a CRV or X Trial... sporty, bachelor like and still decent value

I would say the factors to consider are these :

E46 318i - used
+ sporty, bachelor, 'in thing'
+ ease to sell - once you swallow the depreciation
+ prestige at reasonable price
+ depreciation is stabilized after 2-3 years
- maintenance will be high as it's a used car and after warranty period

Get this if you want 'the look' but not "THE look since there are many E46s out there" and willing to pay a bit more on maintenance

Mazda 6 - new
+ new car - warranty, etc
+ umm.... larger?
- uncertain resale value - less common than most other cars
- um.. Mazda? 6? how does it look like?

Also consider :-

Honda CRV - new
+ sporty and grown up lookin'
+ respectable
+ resale value ok
- can't race it
- getting too common

Nissan X Trial - new
+ sporty 'new age' look - not as common as CRV
+ large and utilitarian - will fit your mountain bikes in the rear
+ not so common but still a decent car
- can't race it
- Nissan?

Attached is a pix of the latest Mazda6 MPS in Aust.

Been visiting quite a few car showrooms as a relative was buying a new car. Car's that's worth a mention because of their value and looks dept includes 4x4 Kia Sorento, Kia Optima, Kia Cerato, Suzuki Lianna and Suzuki Swift. Tons of choices here.

Having said that, Mazda6, although has a pretty sexy design, is still way behind Honda Accord and Toyota Camry in terms of sales Down Under. The Mazda6 Hatch has always been one of my favourites. But I'm afraid its design may get dated very fast.

:blink: the mazda6 mps is said to be a rival to the 330i but i'll stick to bimmers thanks.. :wink:

If he is young than go for the E46 or Altezza. If he is old than go for the new Accord instead. :D

Originally posted by anxious@Jul 17 2005, 11:57 PM
What about maintainance cost. A 3-4 yr old Bimmer may be showing its age,parts to replace etc.

If not Mazda then maybe Accord. I guess the question really is new Japanese or second hand bimmer?
Hi Anxious,

I can give you how much is my E46 maintenance. Already five years been using it, no major problems accept the radiator motor pump which cost me about RM300+, right hand rear window eletronic motor cost me RM400+, and other small items which I do not think is significant to the overall maitnenance.

My car has a mileage of 85K km. 100% serviced by autobavaria and I did it only once a year. If only for the engine oil change (6 litre) and oil filter change, it cost me less than RM500 for 25k km service interval which is the E46 service spec.

Do you think this is costly? I would think, for my case, it is even cheaper than a Proton waja (if waja also use fully synthetic, and change it every 10K as per the service spec by waja). And if for the power windows, I think it will definitely cost higher than our E46.

:D :D

Originally posted by supergripen@Jul 18 2005, 11:04 PM
:blink: the mazda6 mps is said to be a rival to the 330i but i'll stick to bimmers thanks.. :wink:
In terms of power, yes. The Mazda6 MPS churns out 190kw.

Top Bottom