e39 steering lock system stuck/broken

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

uncle aziz

Club Guest
No symptom at all>>key still turn on for engine ignition but steering wheel has to be turned left /right for the steering lock to release completely>>>reach workshop turn off engine >>steering stuck>>>very lucky day ! :wink:
e39006.jpg
e39005.jpg
e39008.jpg
cost of removal is very very much cheaper than replacing the whole key/lock system.

So much easier compared to e36. For e36 have to drill a hole to pull out the spring :(

slyder;782183 said:
So much easier compared to e36. For e36 have to drill a hole to pull out the spring :(

Not easy at all bro actually..

Some UK e39 owners also DIY to drill a hole to take out the spring.

Seems like this is quite common on e39. This is like the fourth case I seen members post here.

Do you think I should disable the steering lock just to be safe. Mine havent given me any problem yet. Interested to know where you did it too and at what price.

I think if you don't engaged (locked) the steering lock whenever you leave the car, it may prolong the lifespan of the lock. Correct me if I am wrong.

Herbert;782314 said:
I think if you don't engaged (locked) the steering lock whenever you leave the car, it may prolong the lifespan of the lock. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the same way, i always park when the steering wheel is straight and never purposely engage the lock mechanism..takut la kena macam ni...

Steering lock da old mechanical technology ...pencuri pencuri sekarang just tow your car away or hijack it.

bmw7833;782178 said:
Hahaha..your chief mechnic just did this on my car last month!

yahh>>he has done quite a number last few month>>>provided car must be towed to his w/shop>>.no roadside repair .

I hv seen the whole process done by CM >>>not adviseable for DIY >>>removing the 2 screws are hard process >>>dont mind spent some money for that job.

Top Bottom